XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you really want to personalize your ride or your helmet consider doing your own graphics that any good sign shop can print off for you.

Now the point. You can do similar stuff and a good local sign printing shop can make them for you. Nice part is they are removeable like a wrap, since they are essentially the same stuff as the wrap. The stickers are printed on really thin 3M film (white for printed), then covered with a protective 3M film. I've had a pair of my stickers (3x10") in the back window of my pickup truck, exposed to the elements 24/7/365 for the past several years. No fade and no peel.

If anyone wants to play with graphics Troy has created six lesson videos on YouTube to teach how to use Inkscape. It is related to using a Cricut machine, but the .svg graphic file can be used for printing as well. Download the Inkscape software, click here, open it, then follow and do the actions described in each of the six videos Troy, of TroyTube, has done. Here is the first lesson:

From there it is pure practice and working. For me the most important thing is learning to alter shapes, toward the last few videos. Knowing how to do that enables one to reproduce any logo or create any shape desired. As said, all those graphics were created from scratch except the one mentioned.

I started with CorelDRAW, a better more user friendly graphics software, but it requires you buy the software. I've used both softwares and know I can do nearly everything I want in Inkscape, but have used Corel for about 30 years from doing graphics for a laser company for a couple years in the early 90s. Then it was teaching Corel in a high school, then just personal use for the past ten years. Here is some of my work I did, the Converse was done around 1997 and I still use it.

The Converse design I put on my helmet, having worn Chuck Taylors for about 40 years now, it had to be done. Here is the helmet with the Converse graphics and my tensioner company sticker:

Then when I started making and selling cam chain tensioners I started having stickers made from my own design as well. When I got my KLX250 I did some stuff for it to replace the Kaw stuff with my own. I had riders ask about doing the KLX330 and 351 stickers so I did several designs to match the OEM for their bikes. It wasn't cheap so it didn't take off. The stickers ran around $50 a set, which really isn't bad. The here is the Kaw KLX351S sticker reproduction from scratch, there is no production sticker like this since Kawasaki does not make the 351, it is a big bore kit:

Now with the XSR I wanted the speed blocks and some number plates to act as billboards for my cam chain tensioners and the companies I work with to make them which would also work as saddle bag supports as well when needed. This is the graphic for the number plates I need to install. It is made up to promote the companies I work with for parts and materials used in my product. The Clem's Garage is one domain I have that kind of honors my late father and that he let me keep my bikes in his garage for like near 40 years, and the Krieger is the tensioner company.

These graphics are created in CorelDRAW from scratch, no scans, to keep the sharp edge images, except the Waterford graphic (they print my stuff, so they gave me a .cdr image to use). The highlight through the center was intended to break up the flat look if the backgroudn was all black. They will be applied to a white 10"x7" ATV number plate giving a white border around the sticker.

Fact is if you want to play with graphics you can get good results and have them printed by a quality sign shop. Have some fun.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm learning, that background highlight makes the whole thing work. Nice work
You known Kevin Mishey a long time haven't you. I grew up in My.Vernon, Kevin and my older brother graduated together. I remember Kevin well and his pops, always watching over things from a rocking chair. Kevin sold me first year release honda V45 Sabre, not very memorable sled, always had carb float bowl level probs.
But Kevin was always a cool collected moto man

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've known Kevin for a while, having picked up bikes back in the 80s when working at Boulevard Cycle in New Philadelphia and then when I went back to them around 2010 or so. He sold out a few years back. Nice guy. He had the one comment that told how tough it was in recent years. He wanted to sell out, but, as he said, "who wants to work 60 hours or more a week to make $60,000?" I think it's a bit better now, but the fact is they don't cash in big time like some think. He also talked about the fact that there was no longer one kind of big seller, like when they could order every 600 super sport and sell them, Now anything that sold seven or eight was the norm. He also pointed out that one problem they encounter with many younger customers is in financing, they are using so much of their disposable income on their cellular device bill that they don't get approval on loans. I am glad he did get to sell, he got a good group to buy it.

The new owners are a family operation and they do remember people when they come in. I don't think the father is much younger than Kevin, but he has I think two sons in with him. They are giving me the wholesale break on all the stuff I buy for my tensioners, just like Kevin did. I wanted to work with a dealer like him, not some big store. Right now they have nearly sold out on all bikes, with no idea when more will be coming in. That is a problem a lot of places in the U.S. The manufacturers have very low inventory due to the stoppage caused by the Covid pandemic. They only had around 20 bikes on the floor, said they should have 500 vehicles, but only have about 120. Tough times that way, but boy were they selling over the last year. Problem too is no trades making used bikes sparse for them too.

I run their plate frame and am including them on my mini-billboard plates. If I get treated right I definitely want to put it out there.

·
Registered
203 Posts
You and Kevin, both good men. Your advice and help here on the forum really worked for me, thx

And I can't seem to find anything wrong with the CP2 auto cam tensioner, I was expecting I would be going manual at some point, but there's just nada about failures.

I'm sorta tempted to slot the cam gears and do a little custom cam timing, next off season

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is on the 900s and 09s from what I've read. I have gaskets and bodies cut. I may do one in my bike to test things. That way the bike and equipment are legitimate tax write offs on income from the sideline.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts