XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2018 XSR 700. I'm considering installing a Yosimura R77 exhaust and PowerCommander V. Does anyone know what the gain in HP is? Is the PowerCommander absolutely necessary? I've done quite a bit of reading and am pretty sure I want to go with the Yoshi exhaust.

Thanks

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have ordered an R77 for mine and i thinking the same as you.
My friend had it on his MT07 and the sound is amazing.
Hi did not make any other changes to the engine but im thinking of K&N filter and powercomander.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Callahan,

I probably won't be buying the exhaust & PowerCommander until October. So if you install the exhaust, PowerCommander and K&N filter please let me know how your bike feels and sounds. Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have ordered an R77 for mine and i thinking the same as you.
My friend had it on his MT07 and the sound is amazing.
Hi did not make any other changes to the engine but im thinking of K&N filter and powercomander.
Hey Callahan, just fitted a DNA filter stage 2 to help breathe a bit better in colorado. Did some research around and ppl who've tried both seem to prefer the DNA to the K&N, and for a similar price point. I'm still waiting for the pipes from Zard, and I haven't tested how she runs with the new air filter, but it already sounds deeper.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Do you fit the aftermarket filter instead of the OEM one, or do you remove the airbox altogether and fit cones onto the throttle bodies?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Do you have an link for the DNA filter?
Link is in previous post
https://www.e-dnafilters.com/product/Stage-2-and-3-Applications/Yamaha/DNA-1399/YMA-XSR7C/Yamaha-XSR-700-(16-18)-DNA-Air-Box-Cover-and-Filter
Do you fit the aftermarket filter instead of the OEM one, or do you remove the airbox altogether and fit cones onto the throttle bodies?
I left the airbox in becaus there are beautiful dirt roads near me and i prefer the large area of the dna filter with lots of oil to keep the muck out of my engine.

As a note, the "2nd" stage is just a mounting bracket replacing the narrow snorkel pointed at the seat. At any time you can swap out for stock snorkel and it will form the correct seal, unlike the k&n filter.

So far only been commuting so no real test on power, but though the sound is largely the same, the engine lets out a satisfying throaty warble now when I put a load on it, either uphill or hammering on the throttle. Feels gud in the grundle

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the R77 and did the airbox snorkel delete. I also did an ECU flash using a Power Commander fuel map found on their Web site for the same configuration and disconnected my O2 sensor. I continue to use the factory air filter, because the nominal gain you get (based on tests from other people) from an aftermarket filter compared to the cost of one isn't worth it for me, especially for a part you have to keep replacing on a regular basis. I have to say, you will love the sound of the R77. I constantly get compliments on my bike's sound.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have the R77 and did the airbox snorkel delete. I also did an ECU flash using a Power Commander fuel map found on their Web site for the same configuration and disconnected my O2 sensor. I continue to use the factory air filter, because the nominal gain you get (based on tests from other people) from an aftermarket filter compared to the cost of one isn't worth it for me, especially for a part you have to keep replacing on a regular basis. I have to say, you will love the sound of the R77. I constantly get compliments on my bike's sound.
you have to replace the OEM filter, many aftermarket filters (including my DNA) are reusable and only need to be cleaned and oiled at the same interval. Glad your config is working out for you!

·
Registered
44 Posts
you have to replace the OEM filter, many aftermarket filters (including my DNA) are reusable and only need to be cleaned and oiled at the same interval. Glad your config is working out for you!
You are right! And I knew that, but obviously wasn't thinking as I wrote it so I retract that comment about the air filter regarding cost. Cheers!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the R77 and did the airbox snorkel delete. I also did an ECU flash using a Power Commander fuel map found on their Web site for the same configuration and disconnected my O2 sensor.
I didn't know you could do that! I kind of assumed the Power Commander maps would be proprietary to the PC itself. What did you use to do the ECU flash?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the R77 and did the airbox snorkel delete. I also did an ECU flash using a Power Commander fuel map found on their Web site for the same configuration and disconnected my O2 sensor.
I didn't know you could do that! I kind of assumed the Power Commander maps would be proprietary to the PC itself. What did you use to do the ECU flash?
FT ECU - ftecu.com/shop/category/xsr-700/

·
Registered
44 Posts
FT ECU - ftecu.com/shop/category/xsr-700/
Did you load the PCV fuel map over the stock base ECU map, or did load a tweaked/unlocked base map first?

How has it worked out for you (pros and cons)?

Thanks!
Yeah, just overwrote the stock fuel map with the PCV map that matched my exhaust and airbox mod. No cons as far as I can tell. Low speed jerkiness is drastically reduced. Flashing allows other setting changes. All positive. More importantly, my engine isn't running lean and hot. Here is a video that would shed more light.

https://youtu.be/wDgTBg16Lm4

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah, just overwrote the stock fuel map with the PCV map that matched my exhaust and airbox mod. No cons as far as I can tell. Low speed jerkiness is drastically reduced. Flashing allows other setting changes. All positive. More importantly, my engine isn't running lean and hot. Here is a video that would shed more light.

https://youtu.be/wDgTBg16Lm4
This is excellent information, thank you. This forum is already worth the price of admission! 😁

1 - 16 of 16 Posts