XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow XSR Owners,

I finally installed a pair of Fork Gaiters and Covers on my Yamaha XSR 700. I also filmed this while I was removing the front end. Unfortunately my battery died while I was installing it back. But the clip might be a good idea to all of you who wants to do it yourself. I struggled with the O-RING. But anyway, it worked out finally.

Check out the video here:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Huge props for the installation video!!

That's why I love this forum!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's why I love this forum!
I'm glad you like it!
I struggled a while for how I even had to lift the bike. Eventually I found the solution to lift it with a car lift and put it on a few blocks. It is not the most stable solution, but hey, it worked pretty well!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Great post, just did the same this winter, it looks so much better with these gaiters on! I do not use Instagram, do you have some pictures of the end result?
How did you remove the stone guards on your forks by the way? I started by cutting the three tabs with which they are clicked into the forks but then they still wouldn't budge. Then I tried using a sharp blade to cut through the rubber only to find out that stuff is tough as nails! Eventually I whipped out the dremel and carefully cut one of the sides, then they come right off. Sadly I managed to hit the fork a bit with the dremel so now I have a very nice (albeit small) cut of metal showing on my black fork...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great post, just did the same this winter, it looks so much better with these gaiters on! I do not use Instagram, do you have some pictures of the end result?
How did you remove the stone guards on your forks by the way? I started by cutting the three tabs with which they are clicked into the forks but then they still wouldn't budge. Then I tried using a sharp blade to cut through the rubber only to find out that stuff is tough as nails! Eventually I whipped out the dremel and carefully cut one of the sides, then they come right off. Sadly I managed to hit the fork a bit with the dremel so now I have a very nice (albeit small) cut of metal showing on my black fork...
Yes, here is a before and after.

Removing the guard was a problem! First I tried to pull it out with a flat screwdriver, but soon I realized that it was very difficult and too risky for me and the bike. Later I found a wooden hammer (actually a toy) and I started to hit it. It took a while but finally it popped out. Unfortunately, I also damaged the fork, just a little bit.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Removing the guard was a problem! First I tried to pull it out with a flat screwdriver, but soon I realized that it was very difficult and too risky for me and the bike. Later I found a wooden hammer (actually a toy) and I started to hit it. It took a while but finally it popped out. Unfortunately, I also damaged the fork, just a little bit.
Either way, the end result is very nice. Good job!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I scratched my fork, and I filled in the scratch with a black Sharpie and then rubbed over the spot with my thumb to blend the color a bit. Make sure you let it dry for a bit before making your judgement, I think you will be amazed at the result. My 1" by .5" scratch/gouge is practically invisible close up and totally hidden from a couple of feet away, redneck problem solving at its finest (I live in TN... so...:) ).

·
Registered
50 Posts
I scratched my fork, and I filled in the scratch with a black Sharpie and then rubbed over the spot with my thumb to blend the color a bit. Make sure you let it dry for a bit before making your judgement, I think you will be amazed at the result. My 1" by .5" scratch/gouge is practically invisible close up and totally hidden from a couple of feet away, redneck problem solving at its finest (I live in TN... so...:) ).
I admit to have done the same :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thank you for the video - I enjoyed it.

I will get my forks serviced at some point and get some progressive springs fitted with thicker oil.
I'll get the gaitors fitted at the same time!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for the video - I enjoyed it.

I will get my forks serviced at some point and get some progressive springs fitted with thicker oil.
I'll get the gaitors fitted at the same time!
Thank you! Don't forget to fit the fork covers as well. +- 20 USD for a pair at partzilla.

·
Registered
16 Posts

this is such a great visual change on the front-end, adding this to future mod list :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey idoby, could you please provide us the part numbers for the gaiters, covers and o-rings?
Fork Covers:
1WS-23121-00-00
1WS-23131-00-00

Rivet:
90269-05055-00

O-Ring:
93210-40M10-00

There are several fork gaiters around the web for the Yamaha XSR 700, I've bought the JVB-KEDO gaiter.
Link: Link to the product

·
Registered
29 Posts
The cover costs 4$ Dollar at Partzilla and about 80€ in some other shops. How the **** is that possible? 😄

1 - 20 of 23 Posts