XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m impressed with this new release from Yamaha, it’s beautiful.

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/motorcycles/sport-touring/tracer-700.aspx

https://youtu.be/vkSSxvP45yI

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably me too, but definitely it's a beauty. Glad I did not have to choose over the XSR.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Can't see the point in the 700 tracer. I understand the 900 but just don't see a need for a 700.
Because Tenere 660 was one cylinder and it wasn't much of a hit in the market and because it is a market in which Yamaha didn't have anything good against the opposition, such as V-Strom.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't see the point in the 700 tracer. I understand the 900 but just don't see a need for a 700.
For the same exact reason there's an MT-07 even though there's an MT-09.
Not sure how does it work arounf Europe, but in theory it's an entry bike for those who just got their motorbike driving licence, they can limit the bike to 35KW (48hp) since the full power it's way under 67KW (90hp).

·
Registered
324 Posts
The Yamaha Tracer 700 is a great beginner adventure bike. First time owners may not be ready for the size and power of larger adventure models. Just wish they would bring it over the pond...Seems like it's limited to the UK only for now.

·
Super Moderator
636 Posts
I thought it was time to revive this thread.......Why? Well, I've just bought a Tracer 700, not as a replacement for my XSR but to complement it. I traded in an Africa Twin - I'll never use its off road capabilities and my needs have changed since moving to a new area. The AT was tall and fairly heavy, not ideal for the tiny lanes I find myself riding down here in West Cornwall. I probably shouldn't have bought the AT in the first place, but I guess it's something I needed to do (it's the 2 wheeled equivalent of a Land Rover Defender - every man wants one!). A few folk labelthe Tracer 700 as a beginner's bike.....that's nonsense. It's a very good bike for beginners but thoroughly satisfying for those like me who've had over 20 bikes. It's more comfy and more practical than the XSR for pillion carrying and touring, which is why I went for it. But it shares that lovely CP2 engine and looks great. I don't need - or want - the power of the 900, I prefer the character of the 700 twin. It's not quite as nippy and responsive as the XSR, and not as beautiful, but they do make an excellent pair! Greedy, yes, but great fun.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I thought it was time to revive this thread.......Why? Well, I've just bought a Tracer 700, not as a replacement for my XSR but to complement it. I traded in an Africa Twin - I'll never use its off road capabilities and my needs have changed since moving to a new area. The AT was tall and fairly heavy, not ideal for the tiny lanes I find myself riding down here in West Cornwall. I probably shouldn't have bought the AT in the first place, but I guess it's something I needed to do (it's the 2 wheeled equivalent of a Land Rover Defender - every man wants one!). A few folk labelthe Tracer 700 as a beginner's bike.....that's nonsense. It's a very good bike for beginners but thoroughly satisfying for those like me who've had over 20 bikes. It's more comfy and more practical than the XSR for pillion carrying and touring, which is why I went for it. But it shares that lovely CP2 engine and looks great. I don't need - or want - the power of the 900, I prefer the character of the 700 twin. It's not quite as nippy and responsive as the XSR, and not as beautiful, but they do make an excellent pair! Greedy, yes, but great fun.
written like by somebody that did not just get his license and doesn't need to "measure up" with the "boys" in a testosterone showdown.
Seriously, if one can not/doesn't want to use a bike on the track there aren't many places where the full power/speed of even the "puny" XSR/Tracer can be utilized legally, right?

commented by somebody that has lost his license twice, on a motorcycle... :frown2:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nothing wrong with reviving a old thread and with weather like it is it is good to hear what people are doing. with any engine you need maximum applications to help recover costs so fit the lump in as many bikes that the people will buy.
Is tracer 700 better then versys 650 and sv 650 I would say it is as good but probably no better mark 3 versys 650 is a incredible all round tourer and Suzuki v-twin as been around since the dinosaurs.
enjoy your new bike tigerjohn

·
Registered
459 Posts
Although my preference is toward the XSR for my style of riding, I can see why some might prefer a 700 vs a 900 for adventure riding. I owned an FZ09 three bikes ago and it is definitely a great bike but the bike before the 09 was an FZ07 and it was also a really nice bike with all the muscle I really needed to take my 144 lb. frame through whatever I could get myself into. There are larger riders and smaller riders and the size of your body doesn't have anything to do with your ability but it will make you think about how large the machine you're riding needs to be. I understand because I've been there, done that, and when the machine you are trying to control outweighs you by three and four times your weight, or more, the work that's necessary to keep in under control is overwhelming sometimes. I've had a few bikes such as a 109R Suzuki, Harley VRSCD and Superglide and an FLH that were nice bikes but from a size and weight perspective, far too large for me to really enjoy and they didn't last very long in my garage. My GPZ900R, FZ1, and FZ9 were more powerful but they were the size and weight that didn't seem overbearing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts