XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went for the first oil change and filter change at 1k km. The manual says recommended oil is semi synthetic 10w40. The guys there put fully synthetic. Is this ok? Do they know better than the manufacturer?? (Doubt it)
Also the engine started making a rattling/ ticking sound, as if the valves hit. I took it back an the guy there said that it’s normal and all CP2 engines sound like this.
I need your opinions. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Go to another Yamaha shop and ask about the noise. Don't tell them any work was done before letting them hear the bike. Do more if you can get to them. Problem with posting sound bites and videos is that the listener cannot tell where the noise is coming from. Being there allows the listener to move around and figure out where the sound is coming from.

As for the oil, I doubt if it is any big deal.

·
Super Moderator
794 Posts
Fully synthetic or semi synthetic are both fine in the XSR...just top up with the same if you can. Most dealers will use fully synthetic in their oil changes for mid - large capacity bikes. My CP2 bikes (XSR, Tracer, Tenere) all rattled and ticked a bit, especially when cold. So, probably nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Semi-synthetic would be the minimum spec, so using a full synthetic won't be any problem. In olden tymes, people with BMW bikes would disapprove of using anything but conventional oil for the first 10,000 miles. The theory was that the cylinder bore/ring break-in would be compromised by the "too slippery" synthetic oils. I think that's largely relegated to the past. As for our bikes- if you're within the recommended viscosity range and you change it at least at recommended intervals, there's essentially zero chance of the engine's life being affected by the oil brand or molecular structure. Ride that wild pony. I would get the noise checked out. As others have noted, if it's some valve noise that's no problem, but a trained ear can't hurt. Cam chain tensioners can fail and loose cam chains aren't good. And there're a few other things that ought not be too noisy. Peace of mind is invaluable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts