XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the official Yamaha heated grips on my XSR.

Granted they look nice and low profile but does anyone else who has them find that they are pretty pathetic at putting out heat?!

I initially took them back but the garage said they were working as they should be...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi. I also had the Yamaha heated grips fitted shortly after I bought the XSR. I was very disappointed with them, sure, they look great but the heat output was pathetic! The dealer did advise me that Oxford Grips were better, but I definitely preferred the look of the Yamaha Grips. After not much deliberation the dealer changed them for the Oxford Grips which do the job much much better, if they don't look quite as pretty.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Can you still change the grip or is it the grip itself that holds the element?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hey Matt, interested in that point myself to unglue grip for the r6 mod. But tbh it looks like its one unit. Could be wrong but i'll not be the one to wreck em and find out.

Re earlier post for the heat output. I find them fine, for sure when i got them they were useless but the button needs to be pressed for 5 secs until it starts flashing. At which point you set them to engine CC size, so all lights iluminated and flashing.

After this they're great and often way too hot. Plus love the fact its all integrated.

Obv keen to understand if others have set to highest setting and still not hot enough?

They're also auto sensing so swith off automatically.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi guys, yep I've got same grips and they work perfectly, never had cold hands with them, and they do look the best. They look like they came with the bike and not an add on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree that the Yamaha ones look the best and are nicely integrated, but the fitter in the dealership even told me the Oxford Grips were a lot better before he fitted them!
I then tried them for a week and found the heat output not great at all. Chain ged for oxfords and much happier, even if they're not quite so pretty.
Anyway, it was only for those chilly spring mornings which thankfully have long gone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Morning Rizzko,

I had them installed a couple days ago. Couldn't bear cold hands any longer. I have to say they are brilliant. They are not cheap but I didnt' want the ugly oxford control unit. Although these are quite a bit more £, I think they are well worth it. My hands have been so hot, I'm even debating a ride out tomorrow morning using just my summer gloves (I hate riding with thick winter gloves).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cheers Craig, i fitted some tonight :)

They are very effective when put into the correct mode (>600cc)

Quite easy to fit too, just pop the bar ends off with an 8mm hex, either slice off your grips or pry them off (they have rubber glue holding them steady) then clean it all and glue on the grips, run the supplied cable under the tank and connect to bat

Warm up in no time!

I have had winter gloves with liners and like you i hate that, fumbling for the (tiny) indicators, hitting the horn etc.. not gonna miss that :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thank you Thank you Thank you! I just went and checked my bike after reading your post and it was only set to the minimum! I was whinging all winter about feeling ripped off, I had oxfords on my previous bike and these just felt useless in comparison, being in Aus I will only feel the benefit of these changes next winter but I still thank you so much. The setting is now on maximum! I even got the dealer to install them too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think that is a common problem, they default to the setting for a 125 or something and apparently it’s rubbish.

Dealers.. grr.

Didnt know it got that cold in Aus! Here I’m needing them but it’s got just below freezing this last week..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sure does! We start off some of our winter riding days (especially touring through the alpine region NSW) or blue mountains at 1 degree.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My battery just died yesterday, I think the new grips I put in month ago have something to do with that.
Anyone has detected some strange behavior in the battery function? (I also noted hard time to start the engine days before the battery died(

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have those grips fitted on my xsr
Setting on the >600cc connected to my 12V auxiliary DC . But it doesn't warm my hand that much as you say. Is it because my usb is also connected to my 12V auxiliary DC. Do you think I should connect it directly to the battery ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts