XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed a new full system exhaust as one of several Winter projects (wind protection for longer trips and crash bars up next).

As many have already mentioned, the stock exhaust is like a teethless lion.

I decided on Roadsitalia Thunder due to cost vs. sound vs. looks. Akrapovic is nice, but at ~£1.000, forget it.

https://youtu.be/hLchIGdjgv8

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, the price was alright. Just below 400 euros delivered.

In terms of installation, I watched some videos on youtube (MT-07 and XSR700) and gave it a go. It was easy, even though the installation guide provided was of little help.

It took around 45-60 minutes from the very beginning (taking off the OEM exhaust) untill starting the engine with the new exhaust.

According to Roadsitalia, there is no need for remapping. But I still have to test that, since the bike is in storage for Winter.

Have you done any upgrades or modifications on yours?

· Registered
31 Posts
Only fixed new front and rear turnsignals, a "tailtidy" rear end (cut of oem and fixed a rear reflector) and a low licenseplate bracket. The mirrors are on the way, expected on tuesday.

Have only rode the bike 50 meters since I bought it... have to wait a few month more before I get to try it out for real...

· Registered
8 Posts
Just installed a new full system exhaust as one of several Winter projects (wind protection for longer trips and crash bars up next).

As many have already mentioned, the stock exhaust is like a teethless lion.

I decided on Roadsitalia Thunder due to cost vs. sound vs. looks. Akrapovic is nice, but at ~£1.000, forget it.

Hi! I know this is an older thread, but I am really interesting in knowing if you are still happy with the exhaust? I am asking since I am thinking about buying the double fire from Roadsitalia for my 2018 XSR700. Did you have any trouble with yours? It is supposed to be safe for the engine and legal here in Denmark as well!

Thank you in advance!

Christen

· Registered
8 Posts
Yep, the price was alright. Just below 400 euros delivered.

In terms of installation, I watched some videos on youtube (MT-07 and XSR700) and gave it a go. It was easy, even though the installation guide provided was of little help.

It took around 45-60 minutes from the very beginning (taking off the OEM exhaust) untill starting the engine with the new exhaust.

According to Roadsitalia, there is no need for remapping. But I still have to test that, since the bike is in storage for Winter.

Have you done any upgrades or modifications on yours?
OH I forgot to ask: Any need for re-mapping/flashing ICU?

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hej Christen.

Velkommen til forummet og tillykke med "kværnen" :)

I still like the exhaust, both looks, sound and performance. It is difficult to say whether I would like an Akrapovic better, but at 400 euros for the Roadsitalia exhaust and +1.000 euros for Akra, I am satisfied.

I haven't remapped the ECU and haven't noticed any problems with engine performance.

I have taken it to the track twice (Knutstorp in Sweden) and had no issues what so ever - even though I tried hard to give it some beans. I always ride with the DB killer installed, not sure how the performance would be without it.

The bike gets serviced every year at the authorized dealer and I haven't had any comments.

The exhaust is road legal in Europe (EU) and there are certificates at their websites which you can download in case of questions or if you need it at MOT.

Ride safe once the season starts again.

· Registered
8 Posts
Hej Christen.

Velkommen til forummet og tillykke med "kværnen" :)

I still like the exhaust, both looks, sound and performance. It is difficult to say whether I would like an Akrapovic better, but at 400 euros for the Roadsitalia exhaust and +1.000 euros for Akra, I am satisfied.

I haven't remapped the ECU and haven't noticed any problems with engine performance.

I have taken it to the track twice (Knutstorp in Sweden) and had no issues what so ever - even though I tried hard to give it some beans. I always ride with the DB killer installed, not sure how the performance would be without it.

It gets serviced every year at the authorized dealer and I haven't had any comments.

It is road legal in Europe (EU) and there are certificates at their websites which you can download in case of questions or if you need it at MOT.

Ride safe once the season starts again.
I think we will probably get in trouble if we communicate In Danish, so I will reply in English: Thank you so very much for a really useful and exhaustive answer! I hope to meet you some day - I am also looking at Knutstorp and can see that FDM also arranges days here in Denmark! If you have any tips for a newbie rider like me, I am all ears!

Med ønsket om en glædelig jul!

Christen

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Haha, sure, lets keep it in English. Wouldn't want to create an excluding Danish sub-forum. :)

I don't really have any tips. Just enjoy the ride. Understand that it is not the bike that is the limiting factor - it is us. So take it slow and have patience. I had a lot of fun going to the track (green class) and it was very educational too. I am sure that I have become a much better rider because of the track experience, so absolutely worth the money. There are many companies offering good courses (Racing4Fun, Mestersvinger, FDM, etc.) and you'll find the same instructors working across the companies.

The upgrade which has made the biggest impact for me is the shock. The OEM shock is good enough for everyday riding, but once you start riding a bit faster it has its shortcomings. Note that I weigh around 100 kg (before Christmas :) ).

Where are you located in Denmark?

Glædelig jul.

· Registered
8 Posts
Haha, sure, lets keep it in English. Wouldn't want to create an excluding Danish sub-forum. :)

I don't really have any tips. Just enjoy the ride. Understand that it is not the bike that is the limiting factor - it is us. So take it slow and have patience. I had a lot of fun going to the track (green class) and it was very educational too. I am sure that I have become a much better rider because of the track experience, so absolutely worth the money. There are many companies offering good courses (Racing4Fun, Mestersvinger, FDM, etc.) and you'll find the same instructors working across the companies.

The upgrade which has made the biggest impact for me is the shock. The OEM shock is good enough for everyday riding, but once you start riding a bitter faster it has its shortcomings. Note that I weigh around 100 kg (before Christmas :) ).

Where are you located in Denmark?

Glædelig jul.
I am 95 kg so I can relate! I really appreciate your honest advice and your mature and clever insights (many others recommended all sorts of gadgets, quickshift etc) and I agree that for a new rider like myself, respect for the bike and my surroundings is top priority. I have ordered the RaodsItalia exhaust and will keep the rest OEM for now (It is beautiful as is so it is not that difficult) I will look into courses some time next year - after having ridden for some time. I am located just north of CPH - Gentofte :) You? Og glædelig jul tilbage!

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Let us know when you change the exhaust. And post a picture or video if you like. It is always interesting to see how upgrades/changes are turning out.

I bought a house near Roskilde two years ago. On Thursdays during Summer time there's always a good crowd gathering at Roskilde Havn. Let me know if you plan on going there in 2023 and we could meet and "kick tyres" (Danish expression for those listening in).

· Registered
8 Posts
Let us know when you change the exhaust. And post a picture or video if you like. It is always interesting to see how upgrades/changes are turning out.

I bought a house near Roskilde two years ago. On Thursdays during Summer time there's always a good crowd gathering at Roskilde Havn. Let me know if you plan on going there in 2023 and we could meet and "kick tyres" (Danish expression for those listening in).
Sounds great - I'll do that - both upload video and contact you before going to Roskilde :)

All the best

Christen

1 - 14 of 14 Posts