XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm a current XSR700 owner and have been for 5 years! However, I've got an 'itch' & want to swap bikes and really fancy a Triumph (as I've never ridden a triple)

I was looking at Speed Triple - but I enjoy the handling of my XSR so think the extra Kg's of the Speed wouldn't be ideal. The Street though is roughly the same weight

I have a budget for both - as long as they have underseat exhausts!

Has anyone gone from the XSR to one of the Triumph's? Or vice-versa?

What was the preference etc? Any tips?!

Thanks all

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi all

I'm a current XSR700 owner and have been for 5 years! However, I've got an 'itch' & want to swap bikes and really fancy a Triumph (as I've never ridden a triple)

I was looking at Speed Triple - but I enjoy the handling of my XSR so think the extra Kg's of the Speed wouldn't be ideal. The Street though is roughly the same weight

I have a budget for both - as long as they have underseat exhausts!

Has anyone gone from the XSR to one of the Triumph's? Or vice-versa?

Thanks all
I have not, but I only read great things about both. So this is not my discussion to participate in except for one thing.....can you wait 'till next year, 'cause the next XSR900 just has to be the new MT-09 in XSR clothes, and it is going to be wonderful, and weight about the same as our current bike!

Anyway, curious to hear who has ridden the Striple and Speed Triple :) and their take.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I’ve ridden both. The 675 is a great machine. Totally different beast altogether. I’d think the XSR900 would be a better choice.

·
Registered
2018 XSR700
32 Posts
I’ve ridden the street triple for a couple weeks (riding buddy’s) and owned a fj-09.
the street triple is a sweet machine that is highly tuned and responsive. It’s more flickable than the XSR, and responds almost before you tell it to. It also sounds great. For me, it was too much fun! I was going to hurt myself.

The fj-09 sounded similarly, and the power was also exhilarating. Physically, it’s a bigger bike though. I’d choose the street triple if I wanted all that power.

I stepped down to the xsr700 because it’s fun and lively without sprinting through the country at 80mph.

Good luck!

·
Registered
537 Posts
[..]

Thanks all
Too bad if there is an 'itch' & want, maybe added by a bored expression while riding the favourite track?

On the paper, the Street Triple can be a nice alternative. Everybody reports that the handling and easy riding is much better compared to the pomaded MT/XSR handling. And for sure the triple engine is always proved as a turbine. Here, we have to pay for a R about 2000 EUR more or 4000 EUR more for a Street Triple RS compared to a XSR.
I do not know what to go for. 4000 is as well half the price of a XSR, does it as well mean minimum half of the riding fun on top? The quality and level of the installed parts will be superior to the Yamaha parts, hopefully.
Even that friends reported that the used Öhlins dampers (at RS) were on lower or more budget level and needed a very early service and rebuild.

Important for me, there should be a trustful dealer with workshop close to me. For Triumph it is hard to my personal limit. So Triumph was never my first choice thinking about a new motorbike.
My wife had for some years a MT-09. She loved her orange turbine and still today, she has only good words for it. For me, on an occasional ride here or there, it was not that convincing. At the end it was always the annoying triple sound, that made it easy to change back to my little pony again.

I just assume you are an experienced rider already, that you do not get carried away of some extra hp of the Triple, when test riding it. You will get the right impression and feeling if the ergonomics are fine and that the suspension can be adjusted to your needs.
Depending on the electronic package offered, I would try to check if gear limiter or traction control limit your previous riding experience. If there is always a retaining magic hand or feels like a slow down rubber band, I would return to the dealer to let him explain how to disable those 'helpers' down to a satisfying level.
Evaluating this, having a nice test ride, i would swap in a rush, just not sure if a R or a RS?

It is a little different regarding the Speed Triple. I would say no, because I do not need it. I always remember to a tour on small and very small curvy roads. Our tour guide on a Super Duke GT, followed by a friend of his son with a restricted (48 hp) Duke. Behind them an elder guy on a shiny Super Duke 990 or SM 990, I do not remember. His problem was, that he only saw the guide and the son vanishing in front of him. The harder he pushed the more difficult it got for him to follow.
With ease and verve me and my wife behind me followed that scenario (XSR and she on her MT-09). Every hour the guide stopped for a break. Second break or so, the elder 990 asked regarding the hps of the rides. It was easy to read in his eyes, that he did not understand, why 48 hp powered him out, compared to his 'ready to race' 115 hp.
At one of the next Stop roads, he just dropped with exhaustion.

What are my conclusions? On public roads it does not really count how much hp your bike has on the paper. Most is the rider and his style to adapt to the current situation. A fluent line is much better than a chopping wood style. And additionally, some extra kilos of the bike and a lot of extra hp will tire you immediately. Everytime you pull the throttle and everytime you pull the brakes, it will tire you. For sure, for a hand full of fast kilometers it is nice, maybe for two fast curves. But to have a nice sporty day in the curves, a heavy and excessive hp motorbike is counterproductive.
And from other personal experience, it was a lightweight bike, which brought me back to riding. I needed a time to understand, that the heavy beast in the garage was just not ridden any more.

Just let us know what is your decision...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an XSR700 and a 2007 Speed Triple. I can make some comparisons.
My Speedy has some mods of note- I've built up the handlebar situation with risers and barbacks and motocross handlebars such that the bars at the handgrips are about 5.5" taller than stock and about 1.5" behind stock. The bike also has rearsets and a Comp Werkes pipe that sheds a bit of weight, maybe 9 lbs less than the stock setup. All that said, here's what I'd share:
  • The Speedy is about 35 lbs. heavier than the XSR700.
  • The Speedy has a stonking brutally powerful engine that makes insane torque from 3500 RPM up.
  • The lock to lock radius of the Speedy's steering is about 2/3 of the XSR700, which is not an issue on the road but a notable hassle moving the bike around.
  • The Speedy is certainly faster, and tremendously quicker, than the XSR700. You can't enjoy the difference in speed- it's largely irrelevant in practical use, but the quickness is exhilarating. While being an easy bike to ride, and the throttle response is calm and linear, the Speedy will tempt you to do things you really wouldn't do on the XSR700. It responds so willingly to throttle twists that you can't resist. It's nearly 140 HP compared to around half that in the XSR700. There's no contest.
  • My XSR700 handles better than my Speed Triple. I have Ohlins cartridges and an Ohlins shock and as long as the tires are inflated right it's as close to perfect as a bike can get in my opinion.
  • The XSR700 will deliver the goods at any speed under 100 MPH either quick or easy. It has more than enough torque and more than enough HP. I run it in a range between 3800 and 7000 RPM, and at 7K plus it's on the pipe like you read about.
  • I'll never sell my Speed Triple, it's a 14 year old bike and it really, truly is a classic, but I cannot say I prefer it to the XSR700 now that I've set it up. I love the XSR700 immensely in the mountain twisties and around the town on flat roads. Power exceeds sufficient, fuel economy is fine, handling is exceptional and the ergos for me (6'2") are more comfortable (age 58) than any naked bike I've owned. The XSR700 is a blast as a sight-seeing horse and as a canyon carver, and the Yamaha reliability and long valve intervals are reassuring. The Speedy's virtues are obvious, but they come at the cost of comfort and some measure of reliability. The XSR700 is a special bike. It'd be my pick.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks everyone for the tips - decided to hold off for a while with autumn and winter coming up. Plenty of time tho to research.

Lots of valid points above - looks like its usability & comfort of the xsr700 to the power & more race set up of the triple

Maybe some 'window' shopping is needed....

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts