XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having to dump money into fixing the awful suspension on my '14 FZ09, I'm hoping the XSR700 is more squared away and won't require a similar investment of time and money. I'm ~225lbs with gear, and don't really push too hard on the street. Anyone out there had both stock bikes for comparison? Is there slop in the rear shock bushing on the XSR700?

I had a '14 FZ09. Great motor and chassis, except for the sloppy rear shock bushing that was described as "normal" by Yamaha USA. The suspension was way too soft, so that cost some significant money to fix. That bike was quick, and required discipline to stay anywhere near the speed limit. I now have 3 KTMs in my garage, with one for sale, so a spot may be opening up. I'd like to give the XSR700 a try, if the sloppy rear bushing and too soft suspension issues are fixed. Yamaha should get the XSR700 stateside soon, before buyers like me lose their patience and join the thousands who are buying the Ducati Scramber. ;)

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
After having to dump money into fixing the awful suspension on my '14 FZ09, I'm hoping the XSR700 is more squared away and won't require a similar investment of time and money. I'm ~225lbs with gear, and don't really push too hard on the street. Anyone out there had both stock bikes for comparison? Is there slop in the rear shock bushing on the XSR700?

I had a '14 FZ09. Great motor and chassis, except for the sloppy rear shock bushing that was described as "normal" by Yamaha USA. The suspension was way too soft, so that cost some significant money to fix. That bike was quick, and required discipline to stay anywhere near the speed limit. I now have 3 KTMs in my garage, with one for sale, so a spot may be opening up. I'd like to give the XSR700 a try, if the sloppy rear bushing and too soft suspension issues are fixed. Yamaha should get the XSR700 stateside soon, before buyers like me lose their patience and join the thousands who are buying the Ducati Scramber. ;)
I think you'll find the XSR700 suspension the same i'm afraid...it's way too soft although i need to wind mine in some more to see if it makes a deal of difference or not... i went out on my Monster at the weekend and then out on the XSR and it was like being on a bouncy castle on some road surfaces...!!!. On the other hand the Scrambler isn't as quick as the XSR nor as user friendly.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not me personally. But I've only been riding since December so I'm not that aggressive on the gas! I'm sure a more experienced rider might find that though!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I guess it also depends on where you ride since someone riding around in a busy city won't find it nearly as easy to do a wheelie or at least more never wrecking than somewhere more open with less variables to factor in.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The suspension fell sloppy. The motorcycle has the torque and engine power for enjoyable, aggressive riding, but the suspension really gets in the way. I am considering improving it, the handling feels uncertain.

·
Registered
216 Posts
To be honest im new to riding after a break so am not riding hard especialy at the moment (break in period on 98 miles....) but i used to ride alot, gsxr 600 and triumph tt600 so know very well to my own near death moments how a bike feels ridden hard.

Thing is i had bikes like that for that reason... now i have the xsr i just feel a nice ride out at a spirited pace is the reason i got this bike. To enjoy rather than push constantly so for me the susspension is not an issue. If i want to ride hard then ill buy an r6 or an r1 or a blade......

Reactions: phm14

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Thing is i had bikes like that for that reason... now i have the xsr i just feel a nice ride out at a spirited pace is the reason i got this bike. To enjoy rather than push constantly so for me the susspension is not an issue. If i want to ride hard then ill buy an r6 or an r1 or a blade......
Totally agree with that.. completely different style of riding......it's such a pleasure to ride whether tootling along or having a blast...and still very capable of license losing speeds. it's a joy to own.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Totally agree with that.. completely different style of riding......it's such a pleasure to ride whether tootling along or having a blast...and still very capable of license losing speeds. it's a joy to own.
It is a wolf in sheeps clothing for sure and can deliver that raw pace when u want it but it is a naked semi retro and i love it for just that reason.
Great bike if u want to enjoy the ride and sometimes give then pistons a boot up the bum!😁

Reactions: phm14

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for the comments, gentlemen, I very much appreciate the input. How much do you weigh with gear?(I see Neil is ~190lbs.) Has anyone lifted the rear to full droop to check for the slop I had in my FZ09 shock linkage? While I don't push hard regularly, I do enjoy a good suspension, and we never know when we may have to take emergency evasive action to avoid a car. At my weight, I'm glad Ohlins, Penske and others have stepped up with carts, springs and shocks for the FZ/XSR platforms. All I can do at this point is hope my patience holds out for Yamaha to bring the bike to the US, and ride it for myself. Reviews have noted an improvements over the '14 FZ09 suspension (which isn't saying much), so i can hope. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts