XSR 700 Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
I haven't measured or anything but the flat seat actually feels taller than the stock one.
The stock seat is actually dished a bit so the flat seat probably is a bit higher. I have wondered why manufacturers build a relatively small motorcycle as a sport bike then make the seat just high enough that the guy who is built to ride the thing can't get his feet on the ground. It's more common than you'd think.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Interesting about the height you guys mention. I switched to the flat seat last year, and it feels both softer and decidedly lower - seems it doesn't have the same 'upturn' in the front as the stock seat do. With the stock seat I could not get my feet flat on the ground, but with the flat seat I do. The most important thing for me though is that I find the flat seat way more comfortable than the stock one!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bumping an old thread as I'm 50/50 on either the flat seat or the solo seat. I understand we are all different in our "sitting areas" and have different needs/opinions. I tend to need a firm seat with a bit of a flat sitting surface. I base this on my cycling. I ride quite a few KMs every year on a very hard leather saddle. I understand that this is a bit apples-to-oranges...but I can't help thinking that if my sit-bones (is such a thing! :)) are happiest on a very firm (actually hard) cycling saddle, then it stands to reason that a firmer motorcycle saddle would also benefit me.

I have already noticed that I do not like the OEM seat past an hour; it feels way too soft; "cushy" even, and I feel like I'm sinking into and not getting any support.

Where I live, the bike is put away for the winter...so I have months to research and think about this one! With that in mind, does anyone have any long-ride experience on the flat seat (or the solo seat, for that matter)?

Appreciate any insight/opinions :)

·
Super Moderator
794 Posts
Personally, I'd go with the XTribute seat rather than the XSR optional flat seat. It's a bit higher and has more padding but still has a pretty flat profile. Much more comfy than the OEM sculpted seat, IMO.

Reactions: flyor64

·
Registered
14 Posts
Personally, I'd go with the XTribute seat rather than the XSR optional flat seat. It's a bit higher and has more padding but still has a pretty flat profile. Much more comfy than the OEM sculpted seat, IMO.
Also in consideration! :) Biggest challenge is finding one for sale in Norway. I've not had any luck, anyway! Suppose I can source one external and pay the hefty VAT upon arrival, but would prefer to buy some "in-country" and pay the price one sees on the sticker...

·
Super Moderator
794 Posts
Also in consideration! :) Biggest challenge is finding one for sale in Norway. I've not had any luck, anyway! Suppose I can source one external and pay the hefty VAT upon arrival, but would prefer to buy some "in-country" and pay the price one sees on the sticker...
A Norwegian Yamaha dealer should be able to order one for you....I can't remember the part number but a dealer can easily look it up.

Reactions: flyor64
21 - 28 of 28 Posts