XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Inconsistent Idle and RPP issue. Rode my 2018 (bought new in Fall 2020) a few days ago after about 3 weeks off - has 1200 miles. I noticed the engine bogging down and an inconsistent RPM for the short ride to get gas and then home - it felt horrible and wasn’t sure I’d make it home. Tested it on a stand at idle and noted a one click variation at idle and when given more throttle it maintained RFP for a few seconds then started to accelerate - just like when Riding.
I drained the gas and ran till it stopped. Filled with fresh gas…. Same issue - it’s not the gas And I do NOT think it’s the plugs either. Thinking some fuel air mixture sensor causing the issue… My ride prior to the issue was great and ZERO issues - nada - until now. Hesitate to ride it to the 19 miles to the shop! Any ideas. Shops only advice was change the fuel and plugs. There are no problem indications….
Any ideas or experiences like this?

·
Super Moderator
794 Posts
Yes, it does sound like a fuel/air issue. Just a thought - your starter switch isn't suffering the 'sticky' problem by any chance? If the switch doesn't return to its neutral position after starting (some don't), it can cause uneven running at low revs, like you describe. A small squirt of light oil will usually sort it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it does sound like a fuel/air issue. Just a thought - your starter switch isn't suffering the 'sticky' problem by any chance? If the switch doesn't return to its neutral position after starting (some don't), it can cause uneven running at low revs, like you describe. A small squirt of light oil will usually sort it.
Starter is OK and it also occurs at higher RPMs with a large drop in RPM at speed as if there is a lack of fuel or air in the system.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I’ve recently had an issue with the idle and the bike losing power after sputtering and cutting out.

The engine light came on and the local garage has said their diagnostic tool is indicating that the air intake pressure sensor is done which I’m currently having replaced now.

Apparently it can be quite common on Yamaha as the part is used in a number of bikes.

You may be suffering the same problem but wouldn’t expect it on such a new bike as mine is a 2016 model.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve recently had an issue with the idle and the bike losing power after sputtering and cutting out.

The engine light came on and the local garage has said their diagnostic tool is indicating that the air intake pressure sensor is done which I’m currently having replaced now.

Apparently it can be quite common on Yamaha as the part is used in a number of bikes.

You may be suffering the same problem but wouldn’t expect it on such a new bike as mine is a 2016 model.

hope this helps.
Thanks - Will look into that - can’t be all that expensive to get one and just replace. Can’t even get in to the shop until mid-December :( By then would have to trailer it. Lost a lot of good fall days here in Maine. Never know on parts have had some weird things happen on new stuff so worth a try.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks - Will look into that - can’t be all that expensive to get one and just replace. Can’t even get in to the shop until mid-December :( By then would have to trailer it. Lost a lot of good fall days here in Maine. Never know on parts have had some weird things happen on new stuff so worth a try.
The part alone is £135 but it’s an easy fix if you can get the tank off. Unfortunately for me I had to get it collected and on a diagnostic tool at the garage as I couldn’t ride it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts