XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I want to change the front headlight of my 700 but I didn't want to spend too much on something like Brouge or Motodemic options.
I was wondering if I could fit a 7 inch headlight inside the original bucket. I've seen a guy doing that but I'm not sure if the assembly will be too difficult and forced.
Did anyone of you do it? Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks a lot!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey everyone,
I want to change the front headlight of my 700 but I didn't want to spend too much on something like Brouge or Motodemic options.
I was wondering if I could fit a 7 inch headlight inside the original bucket. I've seen a guy doing that but I'm not sure if the assembly will be too difficult and forced.
Thanks a lot!!!
I would also like to change out the headlight retaining the stock bucket (I've installed a fairing so I have to keep the bucket). Sadly there are few options that are plug and play and those that exist are expensive - like the Motodemic. There are lots of cheaper options but you may have trouble with the clips and most seem to need a rubber surround as they leave a gap between the light and bucket. The headlight is meant to be 5.75" (I've not measured it myself but from the sounds of things it's closer to 6") so the 7" will be too big. I haven't looked at buying one yet as I need to do all the measurements and I'm also waiting to do the indicators at the same time - likely a winter project. I hope you have some luck and if you do please post the results. But in all honesty though a full change out seems to be easier from what I have researched.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would also like to change out the headlight retaining the stock bucket (I've installed a fairing so I have to keep the bucket). Sadly there are few options that are plug and play and those that exist are expensive - like the Motodemic. There are lots of cheaper options but you may have trouble with the clips and most seem to need a rubber surround as they leave a gap between the light and bucket. The headlight is meant to be 5.75" (I've not measured it myself but from the sounds of things it's closer to 6") so the 7" will be too big. I haven't looked at buying one yet as I need to do all the measurements and I'm also waiting to do the indicators at the same time - likely a winter project. I hope you have some luck and if you do please post the results. But in all honesty though a full change out seems to be easier from what I have researched.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a 7" headlamp fitted.
Because I can, I made a stainless steel support, but shop bought headlamp brackets, clamped to fork tubes would do the job.
I have a 7" Denali unit which isn't cheap, but every time I have a 30 mile ride home in the dark, I'm damn glad I've got it. I'm almost as relaxed as I would be on the same journey in daylight.
Denali has the option of keeping the dip beam switched on when the main beam is selected and so provides the nice curb to curb spread of the dip beam.

·
Registered
21 Posts
£20 5.75 led unit from Amazon, bracket designed by me and a local cnc company made it. Fits inside the bucket and a whole lot cheaper...

But - I ride daytime only so can't comment on the light for night time
20210508_153317.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've found this guy on instagram, he basically got a 7'' headlamp and fitted into the original bucket. If you can see from the images he removed the black ring from the bucket.
He said that it took him just longer screws to mount it inside the bucket. I asked him more details but he still has to answer me back.
I'll leave you here the headlamp he used, keep in mind that it's an Italian shop.
Faro ausiliario anteriore a led per moto Cod. 7650

Thislldo Could you please show us some picture of your headlight? I'm so curious ;)

photo_2021-07-18 12.00.28.jpeg photo_2021-07-18 12.00.32.jpeg photo_2021-07-18 12.00.35.jpeg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey everyone,
Thanks a lot!!!
If you want an LED just go LED - very easy but I hated the CAN that is stock.
As I said in another post:
No question I would go Brogue! - Let me repeat - GO BROGUE! I bought a KOSO - mistake. Sent it back and not sure if I'll ever get my $$ back. Called Brogue and they are AMAZING. Got it within days and Kit fits perfect and the light (8700 is what I bought) is perfect. I' m ecstatic with anything I get from them and soo happy with the bike. Scorpion exhaust was my lasy buy an it makes the bike sound sooooo much better than the tinny stock pipe.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I fitted the XSR900 bucket which uses the same headlight ring/retainer as the XSR700. Another here did the same. We made different side mount plates.

I had posted how the bucket must be cut to fit the wiring and how the bottom center can be drilled to fit the rubber grommet to use the lower pin of the XSR700 mount frame. I also posted the specific measurements for the side plates to both pull the headlight back and raise it up as needed to fit.

You can see it fits near perfect. Then the mount brackets can be done with aluminum, painted if you wish.

With that set up any headlight that fits the XSR will work. The XSR900 shell is not very expensive, in the U.S. it was under $40. If you find a local fabrication shop you can pick up srap for near nothing in cost. They will scrap out pieces easily big enough to do the job. I've picked up a bunch of scrap for a couple of dollars and even for free from the shop where I used to live.

I have a more detailed drawing for that specific pattern which I used to cut the black acrylic brackets. The acrylic chips easily when drilling counterbores, so I'd say to just drill the holes and use button head fasteners. I used .375" thickness acrylic, I'd do that or .250" thickness in aluminum. You can see what I did for signals, other options can be done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts