XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I'm planning to buy an XSR700. I got a motorcycle license this summer. I bought a Kawasaki er5n as my first bike and I've been driving since the summer.

Is the XSR700 good for a beginner or a woman? And how about the height of the bike, I am 5.52 inches tall?

Thanks for the answers!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi there, firstly congratulations on getting your license. I’m 55 and got mine about 4 years ago. Sooooooo exciting.
There are loads of women way more skilled at riding than I will ever be and on every kind of bike too. It seems to me that if you fit on the bike and it feels comfortable, you’ll be fine as long as you take it easy while you gain experience. The Xsr700 is easy to ride and the power is easy to manage. There’s a lot of torque low down f you push it, so take it steady for a while but it’s the kind of bike where that’s not hard to do. There’s plenty of power for you once you gain experience too. It’ll make the Er5 feel like a pussy cat.

Im 5’8 with an inside leg of 30”. My feet are well planted on the floor with a slight lift of the heel on the road camber. Hope that’s an indication for you. Best bet is make an appointment and go sit on one and test ride the baby. Whaahooo!!

All the best and have fun mate, take it steady and keep that grin on your face.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there, firstly congratulations on getting your license. I’m 55 and got mine about 4 years ago. Sooooooo exciting.
There are loads of women way more skilled at riding than I will ever be and on every kind of bike too. It seems to me that if you fit on the bike and it feels comfortable, you’ll be fine as long as you take it easy while you gain experience. The Xsr700 is easy to ride and the power is easy to manage. There’s a lot of torque low down f you push it, so take it steady for a while but it’s the kind of bike where that’s not hard to do. There’s plenty of power for you once you gain experience too. It’ll make the Er5 feel like a pussy cat.

Im 5’8 with an inside leg of 30”. My feet are well planted on the floor with a slight lift of the heel on the road camber. Hope that’s an indication for you. Best bet is make an appointment and go sit on one and test ride the baby. Whaahooo!!

All the best and have fun mate, take it steady and keep that grin on your face.
I don’t know how this reply thing works (if this doesn’t show up like the usual replies😅), but thanks for your informative answer. Nice that you like the bike and are happy with it. I always wonder if the power of the XSR700 is manageable for beginner.

I hope the height is okay for me, but I will go to sit on the bike like you recommended👍🏻

·
Registered
38 Posts
Congrats with the license.

The XSR700 (as with any other bike) is driven with skills not genitals :)
Its a great beginner's bike but also a very fun bike for experienced riders.
So I would recommend that you test ride one and feel if the bike suits your ergonomics and temper.
If you have the time and opportunities, then test ride a lot of different bikes. It gives you a much better foundation for making the best choice.

Ride safe and have fun :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Congrats with the license.

The XSR700 (as with any other bike) is driven with skills not genitals :)
Its a great beginner's bike but also a very fun bike for experienced riders.
So I would recommend that you test ride one and feel if the bike suits your ergonomics and temper.
If you have the time and opportunities, then test ride a lot of different bikes. It gives you a much better foundation for making the best choice.

Ride safe and have fun :)
It’s good to hear that it’s also suitable for beginners 😊 Well, I can also go on a test drive when I go to sit on the bike and find out if the height is right for me. How about the lowering kit if needed? Experiences?

The problem is that I could go to try a variety of options, but I have set my eyes XSRs excellent appearance and I want Yamaha, so there is no way out😅

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hehe, I understand the appealing looks of the XSR700. I fell for the looks as well (and engine).

There's an interesting website (Motorcycle Ergonomics) where you can find a lot of different bikes, including the XSR700. Type in your height and inseam and you can see an indication of the ergonomics and whether you can flat foot it.

I would never classify a bike as "a womens bike". Skills and ergonomics is what counts. So always keep and open mind. And even if you have decided on the XSR700, then go test ride some different bikes anyway. It only adds to your experience as a rider.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The XSR is a twin, vs a four so it tends to be a good manageable bike that has very good torque and up in the higher rev range, very good power. It's light and will surprise riders on larger bikes, especially when the XSR rider is experienced and not afraid to use the right twist grip. As far a height is concerned, I wouldn't worry and I'd only go with lowering bones as an absolute necessity. I'm an old coot (70) and at 5'6" and a 29" inseam, I'm fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hehe, I understand the appealing looks of the XSR700. I fell for the looks as well (and engine).

There's an interesting website (Motorcycle Ergonomics) where you can find a lot of different bikes, including the XSR700. Type in your height and inseam and you can see an indication of the ergonomics and whether you can flat foot it.

I would never classify a bike as "a womens bike". Skills and ergonomics is what counts. So always keep and open mind. And even if you have decided on the XSR700, then go test ride some different bikes anyway. It only adds to your experience as a rider.

Thanks for telling me about motorcycle ergonomics.com > It was okay height but -1cm or -2cm would be perfect👍🏻

Yes, that sounds great, gaining more experience is always a good idea 😊

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The XSR is a twin, vs a four so it tends to be a good manageable bike that has very good torque and up in the higher rev range, very good power. It's light and will surprise riders on larger bikes, especially when the XSR rider is experienced and not afraid to use the right twist grip. As far a height is concerned, I wouldn't worry and I'd only go with lowering bones as an absolute necessity. I'm an old coot (70) and at 5'6" and a 29" inseam, I'm fine.
Okey, it's nice to hear 👍🏻 Maybe I'll lend the XSR for test drive to my father who has an R1 and says 700 cumbic meters isn't enough😅

I thought I could lower it to max -2cm so I could get to the ground with my whole feet. But if you reach it with 29" inseam, I have to think twice..🤔 I'm 5'5" and the inseam is about 31 "

Btw, I just bought an XSR700 yesterday, so I can’t change my mind about the bike anymore (and don’t want because the XSR is so damn beautiful!)🙏🏻

·
Registered
201 Posts
Okey, it's nice to hear 👍🏻 Maybe I'll lend the XSR for test drive to my father who has an R1 and says 700 cumbic meters isn't enough😅

I thought I could lower it to max -2cm so I could get to the ground with my whole feet. But if you reach it with 29" inseam, I have to think twice..🤔 I'm 5'5" and the inseam is about 31 "

Btw, I just bought an XSR700 yesterday, so I can’t change my mind about the bike anymore (and don’t want because the XSR is so damn beautiful!)🙏🏻
You're definitely tall enough to get your feet down and probably will only put one foot down, left foot down right on break, at stops once you get comfortable with the weight balance. And if you're moving the bike around some tight spaces in the garage, for example you can do so off the bike (engine off), so doesn't matter how tall you are. Sounds like your dad is a resource which is nice. Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Here's a Corbin seat link, it will improve your ergo concerns and is a "fix" for the rock hard stock seat

It takes on your shape, it takes a month or more and that will make your legs longer! It really will feel like you lowered the seat after it breaks in.

There's a problem with a very very very small percentage of bikes, read about it and how you can eliminate any risk of it happening to you for about $3.

And if squeezing the front brake lever doesn't seem strong enough stopping power, switch to "sintered" brake pads on front wheel. It really improves braking power for a modest $ investment. Here's a read about brakes

Welcome, be safe and enjoy the bike.

·
Registered
349 Posts

I'm 5'6 and have a 32" inseam to ground. I have no problem with my XSR, touching the ground or paddling backward to back up the bike a bit. You shouldn't have a problem with 31". Worst problem I have is the peg position when I put my foot/feet down, they're right where I want my feet. That was a complaint by some reviewers, but I figure I only have my feet down maybe .001% of the time I'm on it, so no worries.

I went to the 700 based on personal preference and the testing, especially the Motorcyclist Commute video done by Zack Courts. Sold me. My brother rides an FJ-09, said I should do the 900, but I pointed out I never ride two up so I just don't need the power. One review on the XSR900 commented the rider should wait, the XSR900 was far more fun to ride because of the power characteristics of each bike. The 900 wasn't as enjoyable due to the more radical power.

Fact is I could have gone for an XSR500 if they had made one, if the power was proportional. A 350-370 lb 50 honest hp bike could be really fun and do me fine. But I'm sure not disappointed by any means.

As hints about things to do to the bike are being made, here was an important one of mine - changing the gauge position. I have the Brogue relocation kit with the alloy cup back, it offsets the instrument to the right, but brings it up into line of sight without my having to physically tilt my head down, much quicker to glance and see speed. Keeps my attention on the road much better. Just found the Gilles relocator, click here, which puts the speedo out over the headlinght, clearing the key for easier use. I'd have tried that one if I found it first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey! I live in a very hilly area, am around 5'6, and found it really hard to feel stable when stopping on a up or down hill that is also cambered, so we did the lowering kit for me. Made a huge difference, feel a lot more confident when stopping at the end of my street, though I still have to be very careful. (I only got off my Ls 3 weeks ago, so am a very new rider.) As for suitability for a new rider - I live in Aus, and here our XSR700s are restricted to 650 to be a learner approved bike. Plenty power still, you have to be gentle on the throttle. :).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi! I bought my black beauty second hand but she's like brand new. When I bought her she had only 126 km on her.
The previous owner had her lowered with the lowering kit, still too high for her but perfect for me. I get both feet flat on the ground without having to strain my legs at all. As a new rider that's the kind of confidence I needed. I can easily manouver the bike around without being afraid of the balance tipping off in either direction.
I'm 1,76m with an inseam of 79cm (5'9 - 30'')

As for a beginners bike. I'm also still very new to riding a motorcycle but having test driven quite some bikes I have to say that the XSR is very forgiving, easy manageable, and still has lots of fun in store once you gain on experience.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm no beginner, been riding mostly sportbikes and dirt bikes in the 15 years I've been riding, but I'm also 5'2" with a 30" inseam.
I absolutely ADORE my XSR700. The weight is well-balanced, not top heavy at all like my old FZ6. I can comfortably touch toes on both sides, and I don't feel like I'm going to drop it on stops or slow speed maneuvers.

Going to a twin from an inline4 was also a vast improvement....I did a clutch drop wheelie when I was riding it home from the dealership and got more than I bargained for. 45 degrees in the air and my heart skipped a few beats until the front wheel landed back on pavement. Since then I've been doing much safer wheelies in 1st or 2nd.

My only real complaint is the lack of windscreen availability for the 700's. I'm in the process of making my own extended height windscreen to cut down on helmet buffeting. Stock tires aren't great, but they do the job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello I am not sure if this has been said yet however, the xsr 700 would be a great beginner bike. I had a ninja 300 and the xsr700 feels a lot safer. The ninja I had to switch gears quickly to get up to highway speeds but with the xsr700 I dont have to panic shift so quickly. The power is there but you don't have to use it all until you feel comfortable. The weight of this bike is also not too bad in wind where as the ninja some days I had to lean pretty hard to keep it straight in the wind. I live on an island though and its normal here to get 40km winds and up. As for height the xsr will be a little high for you however you can get a lowering bracket on amazon to lower it and its pretty simple to do I doubt a local shop would charge much to put it on or if you buy your bike there they would probably throw it in with the bike. The back shock can be adjusted as well but I am not sure if that will lower it or if it is just for adjusting the stiffness of suspension.

here is a link for the lowering bracket

1 - 18 of 18 Posts