XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

A friend of mine recommended I clean my exhaust with Harpic 10x toilet cleaner.

I gave it a go and it works a treat.

Put a small amount in a cup then use an old toothbrush to dip in the cup and then rub on the exhaust to activate.

Make sure you don't put any on plastic or black metal parts as it would damage them.

Results below. Quite unbelievable!

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
Pretty impressive. Maybe let us over the pond know either the chemicals in the cleaner or if it has a "sister" product here in North America.

Cheers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty impressive. Maybe let us over the pond know either the chemicals in the cleaner or if it has a "sister" product here in North America.

Cheers.
It looks like hydrochloric acid is the key ingredient - Harpic 10x has a 9% of it.

I'd imagine that going for a higher concentration might damage the exhaust...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Your pipes look very clean and I noticed they lost their golden coloration that is natural on the type of stainless used on our exhausts. Just be careful, if in fact it is a highly acidic formula, you may experience a degradation of the metal and could see some cracking in the future. Keep a close eye on them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow, not just for brushing your teeth anymore?

I'm only having a little fun, because of the comedy of "dual use". Will we be installing vacuum lines on our intakes to clean dust out of our old computers next?

·
Registered
221 Posts
It looks like hydrochloric acid is the key ingredient - Harpic 10x has a 9% of it.

I'd imagine that going for a higher concentration might damage the exhaust...
For pickling concentrations from 30 to 37% are used. So the mentioned 9% may not be that harmful. On the other side, there are some hidden edges and wrinkles in which the hydrochloric acid may stream. Hope you flushed it with a lot of water. I think that there is also no/only little danger of the often mentioned hydrogen embrittlement in combination with stainless steel.

Less harmful will be a cleaning with the typical polishing 'quack remedy'. Such as NevrDull, the pipes will become clean and silver again. Little micro edges will be polished by even out. So the total surface gets more and more smooth, easier to clean and less sensitive to get dirty again.

And with the first warming up, the pipes get golden again...

·
Registered
331 Posts
One time the dealer I worked for used some crocus cloth to clean up the stainless head pipes on a Honda NT650 Hawk GT. He did it wrapping it around the pipes and pulling on it with a polishing move around the pipes, keeping the circumferential brushed look. I think he may have used Flitz in the process... been around 30 years back and hard to remember for sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts