XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if everyone knows this?

In many countries you can get learner versions of bikes that are detuned to restrict horsepower for new riders (in many countries, by law, you are not allowed to ride "big" bikes the first couples of years after getting the license).

Normally, the learner versions of the bikes are detuned by restricting the intake, changes to the ECU and similar stuff that can be removed/reversed once you are allowed to ride the unrestricted bikes.

However, the learner/detuned version of the XSR700 has a smaller displacement engine. It is actually 655cc instead of the normal 689cc. That means that you can't make it unrestricted, but would have to but a new unrestricted XSR700....

If you aren't aware of this, you could be in for a surprice ones you are allowed to ride unrestricted bikes...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not sure if everyone knows this?

In many countries you can get learner versions of bikes that are detuned to restrict horsepower for new riders (in many countries, by law, you are not allowed to ride "big" bikes the first couples of years after getting the license).

Normally, the learner versions of the bikes are detuned by restricting the intake, changes to the ECU and similar stuff that can be removed/reversed once you are allowed to ride the unrestricted bikes.

However, the learner/detuned version of the XSR700 has a smaller displacement engine. It is actually 655cc instead of the normal 689cc. That means that you can't make it unrestricted, but would have to but a new unrestricted XSR700....

If you aren't aware of this, you could be in for a surprice ones you are allowed to ride unrestricted bikes...
Hi XSR4EVER,

I got my XSR700 limited to 47hp (instead of the 75hp) and my version is the normal 689cc. I just asked Yamaha to limit the power. My understanding is that Yamaha has a 689cc version that is already electronically limited before they send the bike to the bike dealer, but it can be reverted back and have the 75hp that this bike is supposed to have.

As I said, this is my understanding and this is how it works in Spain. I just verified the specifications in the data sheet and mine is 689cc.

·
Registered
400 Posts
This is something I wish I knew about before spending money last season on a 250, could have waited out for this and in the end I would have a much more long-term bike without suffering through depreciation on the first year!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Are you talking about the A1 and A2 permits? Makes sense for Yamaha to detune bikes for the A2 riders who can only ride bikes with a power limit of around 47 horsepower.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm still really surprised that they would give you a lower cc. Can you ask them for the regular size and then have them detune it or do they "have to" give you a lower engined model ?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm still really surprised that they would give you a lower cc. Can you ask them for the regular size and then have them detune it or do they "have to" give you a lower engined model ?
In Australia there is a cc limit and Yamaha has done this to come under the limit and increase their market exposure. It's a smart move because mostly learners buy these bikes.

With the MT-07 we had a detuned version and a HO (high output) version as found overseas. The HO's did not sell that well so Yamaha have scrapped that idea of releasing a HO model for the XSR700.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Those with the lower CC xsr700 may lose out on a bit of power, but at least the model is still available instead of being limited to countries that doesn't have new rider restrictions.

·
Registered
321 Posts
In Australia there is a cc limit and Yamaha has done this to come under the limit and increase their market exposure. It's a smart move because mostly learners buy these bikes.

With the MT-07 we had a detuned version and a HO (high output) version as found overseas. The HO's did not sell that well so Yamaha have scrapped that idea of releasing a HO model for the XSR700.
Those with the lower CC xsr700 may lose out on a bit of power, but at least the model is still available instead of being limited to countries that doesn't have new rider restrictions.
Wellp, learn something new everyday it seems, thanks !

But when you break it down like that, it does seem extremely smart from a marketing standpoint. Still part of the game, still able to be competitive in that region, it all equates to sales rather than just saying scrap it, on to the next place.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here's a pic of one restriction, throttle bodies only open 70% , due to a throttle plate installed on learner bikes in Australia. .......as if this will keep newbies out of trouble ????

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'll preface this by stating that I'm clueless. So if one wants to take the bike back to the output of other countries, you'd need to replace the throttle plate, reflash the ECU and what else?

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are a couple things you can do,

- replace throttle plate, can buy from eBay about 15-30mij install.

If your gonna go do that then also,

- add full exhaust again another hour job
- k/n air filter 30 mins
- air to fuel ratio mixer which can be bought from sc project to complete the Package 45mins

But also just learned that in the air box the throttle bodies have restricting stacks which your can take out for better performance. Which should take and hour 🙂

All these things are affordable and don’t have to know much about tools to install, then do wheelies and twisties all the way home.

I'll preface this by stating that I'm clueless. So if one wants to take the bike back to the output of other countries, you'd need to replace the throttle plate, reflash the ECU and what else?

·
Registered
240 Posts
For a bit of top-end increase in power I have installed a de-restricted plate for the throttle cables. The current offerings on evilBay are only for the slightly misaligned copies of the original design plate: https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=xsr700+de+restrictor&_sacat=0
Not much money for a bit more top speed.
Not much can be done on the cylinder sleeves that bring the bike to 655cc.
I also have seen some mods on the airbox to allow more air flow, like on the unrestricted version. That would require to flash the ECU?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm sure Yamaha had it's engineers look at the total picture and design a way to build the bike so it would be capable but meet the restricted requirements of the specific country. What I can't see is restricting the displacement, especially by only a little over 30 cc. I'll bet if you look at the numbers they reduced the bore by a little because shortening the stroke would make it very expensive to change. Restrictor plates have been used in motorsports for years to decrease power but then again, it's pretty easy to change restrictor plates. The laws may very well specify that it take more than an afternoon under the backyard shade tree to over-ride the reduced power outputs of the lower output engines. When I was a beginner rider you simply got a 125 or perhaps lower displacement bike and learned to control yourself on that, then maybe get really nuts and get a 250 or 350. In 1965, getting a 700 would have been beyond any of our dreams, both financially or physically. And now we call a 700 a "beginner bike"? How things have changed. Of course, we didn't need a cycle endorsement or any other special licensing either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts