XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your XSR's top Speed? I changed my rear sprocket to a 45 tooth and I can only get 123 mph on top end. I never took it to the limit with the 43 tooth sprocket, so I am wondering how fast an XSR will run with the stock sprockets?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Those two sound a bit high to me. You can't go by the speedometer, either a timed track or good GPS. I tried to check mine on a pretty straight and level road and with stock gearing I got about 112 MPH. Didn't really have the space to let it run more than about 1/2 but I figured after a half mile I should have a pretty good number. It was also a calm day, no head or tail wind.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Isn't the claimed top speed an est 120 mph? I know my speed is around 3- 4 mph out as the road warning speedo thingamyjigs (those signposts that have a circular top surrounded by leds with the speed your are going inside that) are saying 28mph whilst my speedo is saying 31. Also at higher speeds thing could even be worse so I guess we can't judge our bikes speed accurately by the speedos. I've had 100 showing on mine but like I said it was probably more like 95 ish, and yes there was more but it was a bit breezy and the motorway wasn't overly smooth. Also it is a far from comfortable riding position for those kind of speeds.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Pretty common for Japanese bikes since day one - showing about 10% faster than you're actually going. Not a horrible thing... kind of a margin of safety. You're showing 65, but actually a shade under 60.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Still a bit of a pain though as it's hard to know whether you are over the speed limit bearing in mind the traffic sometimes flows right on the limit and in the 50mph zones on the motorway, governed by average speed cameras, you can't accurately know your speed. It also explains why when my speed is saying 70 on the motorway, all sorts of traffic is overtaking me.

·
Registered
633 Posts
We tend to have a preoccupation with top speed as a measure of the abilities of our motorcycles when in all actuality we are almost never in that mode. I was reading an article about the development of the new Suzuki Katana and they mentioned that it was never the focus of Suzuki to make the bike exceptionally fast but to make it exceptionally good as far a rideability was concerned. I was watching a production video on the new BMW R1000RR and it boasted it's 199 H.P. and 200 MPH (about) top speed. Well, that's wonderful but where in the world would anyone use that kind of speed on anything but an enclosed track? And, at 200 MPH how would you have time to look at the speedo. For my 2 cents, I don't think "seat of the pants" feel is very good at estimating top speed, but it's damned good at telling you when you're going fast enough and any more could spell trouble.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The bike can go faster than whatever it's top speed is listed as. Of course to do that you have to time your shifts, have plenty of room and no wind helps too. It comfortably and easily goes and stays at 95mph/152kph (on the speedo). Anything faster you are definitely forcing the issue a bit, which is fun but not normal operating procedure for the bike. If you "need" to go comfortably faster than that, consistently, then you would need a bigger bike.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If top speed was our real interest in riding then we would not be riding a bike with a standard seating position and no fairing. This bike is meant for urban riding or back country roads with lots of hills and twisties!

·
Registered
90 Posts
If top speed was our real interest in riding then we would not be riding a bike with a standard seating position and no fairing. This bike is meant for urban riding or back country roads with lots of hills and twisties!
I can vouch for that. Motorway riding is not this bike forte, sure it has enough power but the riding position is just not ideal for that. Short distances like 20 mins or so are fine but as I hope to find out at the end of this week (weather permitting, this is the UK after all) longer runs will probably be somewhat uncomfortable.

·
Registered
368 Posts
What is your XSR's top Speed? I changed my rear sprocket to a 45 tooth and I can only get 123 mph on top end. I never took it to the limit with the 43 tooth sprocket, so I am wondering how fast an XSR will run with the stock sprockets?
123 mph. It's the top I got out of the stock sprocket (on the speedo), and that was going downhill with 3 miles of clean open space in front of me, slight right bend to the road at one point, but that didn't impede speed.

Maybe I could have gotten one or two more mph out of it? I feel like I left a little out there. Whether the speedo is off or not (and it always is a bit faster than reality) it doesn't seem like there is any limiter, but I think it would max out anyway at 125 mph and that's going downhill :) and that is probably 122 mph top speed in reality. I think the speedo is only off a couple mph. I have ridden through police stationed speed indicators and sometimes the speedo-to-speed sign is spot on, sometimes off by an mph or two.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts