XSR 700 Forums banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Winter is creeping in and it's slowly getting too cold for longer trips (at least for me), hence I'm even more thankful for any day I can go out, ride and explore!

Here's a little clip from last weekend, autumn vibes and rather empty roads! Just a few days later this mountain was covered in snow and they'll soon be flooded with winter tourism:

Cheers :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Feels like a bit of autobahn. But you are right, it is autumn and winter almost there.

Last time you asked regarding suspension and your revs as well. With the suspension it is often hard to answer as it is always a little trade off between comfort and good working suspension when the ride is fast and sporty. Especially at little, lightweight, short wheel base XSR.
Whatever you will change, you will get a certain lost in comfort. But I see the win that the wheels are always on the ground. Or the other way around that my riding speed causes that the bike rebounces several times undamped or the wheels loose the ground, I urgently need some suspension upgrade.

Or I reduce my riding speed.

This is the easy formula that at a certain speed the XSR suspension is overchallenged. I think here in the forums a lot of suspension upgrades were discussed. Still for me, the easiest and most straight forward way to optimize, ask somebody who is offering suspension upgrades.

Your revs, I'm coming from singles or thumpers where the revs are lower anyhow. Especially when it comes to warm up the motor after cold start. So I have a funny 4000 rpm in my cold engine modus, if nothing other info about the oil temperature is available, I ride with that rpm limit the first 20 kms. I am always lucky if this 4000 rpm end in a top speed around 100 km/h in highest gear or I can ride with ease in 4th at 50 km/h.
Very nice to see, that most riding situations can be handled within this 4000 rpm (imaginary) limit.

Coming back to your riding 3rd at 100 or 120 I would only do under attack conditions, never (unusually) when riding for myself to get into the flow. The route shown in the video was very suitable to increase the average speed just by reducing the down shiftings and high decelerating of a high rotating engine. Even in 5th you can drop the speed below 70 and you will have more than enough speed in the curve to pull out of it. The pure deceleration in the curve by a curve is quite high, try to feel it when keeping the throttle in the same position. You will see that you have to open throttle to keep the speed.

Greetings from Lower Rhine Area
hombacher

21 - 22 of 22 Posts