XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a month of riding I've come to the conclusion that the stock tires (Pirelli Phantom) are pretty terrible on concrete.

There is a lot of grooved concrete in the Montreal area (due to construction and temporary roads) and any time I'm on them doing more than 60 km I get a bit of a wobble in the front end.

I'm not sure if it's due to the tires, the suspension, the lack of weight over the front wheel, but it certainly feels like a loose front bearing --when running over concrete.

Anyone else encountered this?

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
If the grooves are parallel to the kerb, it's probably not the tyres or the bike causing the issue! I'd be surprised if your wheel bearings are worn - try it on smooth tarmac, or raise the front wheel and check it for play. I convinced myself that a Moto Guzzi I was test riding had a steering issue, when it wandered about on a grooved section of road....then I realised that all my bikes did the same on that particular stretch of road!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the grooves are parallel to the kerb, it's probably not the tyres or the bike causing the issue!

Yes, the grooves are parallel to the kerb, which is why I think it's the tread pattern. I have not encountered this with any other bike, but this is the only bike I've ridden that had a divot running along the contact patch!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts