XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, There’s still a few good riding days in my neck of the woods but I’m a fair weather rider these days and when the temps dip into the 50’s I’m thinking about putting the bike in till spring. For me it’s a simple matter of changing the oil, add some sea foam to the gas tank and plus in the battery tender. I would like to hear from other riders what they do to prepare their ride for winter or as we call it “ the big suck”

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm pretty particular about how I keep my bikes in general and when I'm putting them to sleep for our long winters in the "great white north", I change the oil, clean and lube the chain, and basically detail the motorcycle so in the Spring it's ready to hit the road. I take the battery out, put a full charge on it and keep it in a closet. I do a detail because any dirt on any surface will collect moisture during the winter and that moisture will start the oxidation process whether its on paint, chrome, or aluminum and after several years of putting a bike away that's not clean will show up as deteriorating surfaces. Batteries don't like the cold, specially sub-freezing cold and they don't particularly like being discharged and charged over and over and that's what's going on if the battery is left connected to the bike and a tender put on it, small amounts, yes, but still it's always in a discharge or charge state.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have always garaged my bikes. I fill the tank with high test non ethanol gasoline and I start it once a month and let it run, even in the dead of winter. I have done this for years with two different bikes and battery remains fine, bike starts and runs fine. Then in the Spring I do oil and filter change, and align, clean, and lube chain. If I could not garage the bike, I would remove the battery, trickle charge it, cover the bike best I can (including plug exhaust with cellophane and a rubber band), and check it anyway occasionally in winter for varmints and moisture (wipe it down).

·
Registered
82 Posts
All good advice I will add a clarify, change oil b4 storage and again after you ride it first day it comes out of storage.

We were taught to pull plugs, one squirt of clean 10w40 or whatever you run, into the cylinders and with the plugs still removed hit the starter for about one second. It will coat the cylinder walls and rings with clean oil b4 storage. Put the plugs back in, they don't need to come out in spring, bike will start up fine.

Don't get carried away, this is a small amount of oil, about one shot from an old fashion oil squirt can.

In spring, drain the full gas tank you added stabilizer to. Add some fresh petrol you buy in spring.

Bring the seat indoors, pests can bother it. Sprinkle some bug and fire ant killer under bike, cover with plastic, fumes trapped under will keep pests away.

Do take the battery out and trickle charge, just to inspect it if nothing else, you can see trouble brewing sometimes thru the translucent/clear plastic, and when it goes back in, in spring, you can do a good job with some battery terminal cleaner & protectant, and I put a dab of tack red grease on as last step, to keep corrosion away all summer.

Sometimes I just trickle charge in bike, cause I already have a battery tender connect installed when I buy a new bike.

So you might just leave it in bike first couple a years of the battery's life.

Because I'm old fart I guess and like most of my habits..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for the tips and advice. I forgot to mention I convinced my better half that the bike is a piece of artwork and should spend the winter in our (Heated) family room where it can be appreciated 😉

1 - 8 of 8 Posts