XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Salty roads, buckets of rain when it isn't snowing, will my baby ever forgive me? This is one ride home after a day in the office, need to get the 390 Duke run in to save my XSR this humiliation!

·
Registered
585 Posts
There's not much harder on the finish and mechanicals of a motorcycle than a good salt bath with maybe a little sand mixed in. I stayed right on the beach in Gulf Shores, Alabama a few years ago. The condo was probably only 100 yds from the water and the salty mist coming off the ocean oxidized everything made of metal within a couple weeks. Salt and aluminum just don't mix.

·
Registered
2018 XSR700
111 Posts
My cure for that problem... I drive a $500 Buick Park Avenue for the worst 3 months of the year...
I do bike mods, and detailing over that time, and roll out fresh in the spring.
My hat is off to you guys that ride in foul conditions.

·
Super Moderator
669 Posts
ACF50 is your winter friend! At least in lockdown, my bikes are snug in the garage (presumably for a couple more months). Hey ho!

Reactions: Mav617

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, been washing the bike regularly and brushing on ACF50 to swingarm and coolant pipes mostly, will have to see how bad it is in Spring. Last week commuting on it hopefully, as its the Dukes turn once run in....

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yeah, been washing the bike regularly and brushing on ACF50 to swingarm and coolant pipes mostly, will have to see how bad it is in Spring. Last week commuting on it hopefully, as its the Dukes turn once run in....
Happy Birthday Mav

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Happy Birthday Mav
Thanks Dan, much appreciated. Not using the bike tomorrow, the ice here has me defeated. Letting the train take the strain tomorrow. The XSR is relieved from commuter duties, the KTM 390 Duke is taking them on. I now have to re-finish my heel plates and coolant pipes for the Spring but other than that I hope the salt hasn't done much other damage thanks to ACF50.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ya it's tough on bike. But give yourself a big pat on the back - you got to be tough core motoman to ride the storm called winter. Bravo!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya it's tough on bike. But give yourself a big pat on the back - you got to be tough core motoman to ride the storm called winter. Bravo!
Thanks mate, and the sun is now out and back in the teens temp wise. The XSR survived reasonably well overall and then passed her first MOT so all good (y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts