XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my naked bikes, but wind resistance and buffeting are a problem. XSR700 is no exception.

After some research I was about to get the Dart Marlin (good reviews, but not cheap). Wasn't convinced how much benefit I'd get from a small windshield so decided test benefits of a small screen with this cheapie.

It was cheap and easy to install BUT just pushed the air from my chest to my helmet. At 70km/h sounded like a jet taking off. Surprising just how much difference it made; just not good.

Take 2 was a bit more radical. Larger screen (made for cruisers)... Yep! Mainly to help push some wind above my head, but also figured it might look OK in that retro feel. This is it:

Man, that's a long eBay link...

I gotta say, it looks pretty good and does a decent job. No instructions (eBay special) and had to change two screws. We'll see how long it lasts. It gives me the confidence to spend more on a better quality unit down the track.

Still in lockdown here in Melbourne so haven't taken it on the highway yet. Will report and post pics if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Without being able to see it on the bike, it's hard to tell what it actually looks like but my experience tells me that the most effective sport screens are model specific. They cost a lot more but move the air in the most efficient way. And, your riding height is a big factor too as one that fits me pretty well at 5'6" may not be worth a hoot for a 6' rider.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not keen on screens myself, but like you took a punt on that exact screen because I felt the front end looked a bit untidy, it hasn't arrived yet so a bit disappointed that your feedback is negative. Height makes a huge difference, my Africa Twin needs a screen because the buffeting is horrendous without. I have an aftermarket MRA screen with an adjustable deflector and it makes a huge difference, I'm 6'1" and if I was an inch shorter I'd barely notice any wind at all but I can't contort myself for long enough to adjust my riding position.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've only had naked bikes and dealing with wind is just part of it. With highway speeds of 75-85+ being normal around me, even a small screen to move the air up some helps me not feel like a parachute.
Get a helmet that seals better to see if that helps cut down on the noise?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Love my naked bikes, but wind resistance and buffeting are a problem. XSR700 is no exception.

After some research I was about to get the Dart Marlin (good reviews, but not cheap). Wasn't convinced how much benefit I'd get from a small windshield so decided test benefits of a small screen with this cheapie.

It was cheap and easy to install BUT just pushed the air from my chest to my helmet. At 70km/h sounded like a jet taking off. Surprising just how much difference it made; just not good.

Take 2 was a bit more radical. Larger screen (made for cruisers)... Yep! Mainly to help push some wind above my head, but also figured it might look OK in that retro feel. This is it:

I gotta say, it looks pretty good and does a decent job. No instructions (eBay special) and had to change two screws. We'll see how long it lasts. It gives me the confidence to spend more on a better quality unit down the track.

Still in lockdown here in Melbourne so haven't taken it on the highway yet. Will report and post pics if anyone is interested.
Any chance you could post a pic of the larger screen on your bike?

Thanks

·
Registered
373 Posts
This is my dart Marlin (dark shade). Does an OK job at highway speeds but I still get quite a bit of wind at the helmet towards the top. I'm 5'6" and it would be better if it was an inch or two higher.

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had the piranha on, looked good, didn't think it helped, I think it concentrated the air up a little higher actually.
I have the Yamaha Micro Cowl now, I think it moves the air away (panoramic) right above the headlight (which pushes air away itself) and doesn't "add" concentrated air above it. No science was involved, just a feeling. And the micro cowl? looks super nice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2018 with the Dart Marlin and it doesn't seem to have much buffeting at highway speeds. It doesn't block all the wind but helmet buffeting bothers me more than clean wind. Only been up to about 90 mph so far with it installed.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I have the Dart Marlin as well and really like the custom look but has not done much to relieve the buffeting at high speeds. After an hour of 70 plus speeds my arms are fatigued from literally hanging on.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not keen on screens myself, but like you took a punt on that exact screen because I felt the front end looked a bit untidy, it hasn't arrived yet so a bit disappointed that your feedback is negative. Height makes a huge difference, my Africa Twin needs a screen because the buffeting is horrendous without. I have an aftermarket MRA screen with an adjustable deflector and it makes a huge difference, I'm 6'1" and if I was an inch shorter I'd barely notice any wind at all but I can't contort myself for long enough to adjust my riding position.
That small screen certainly looks better and does clean up that front end. See what works for you, man. The big one works for me and looks OK

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When you get a chance, please let us know how it works at various speeds.
Will do, mcman. Like I said we're in lock-down here., so no highway riding yet. I have had it up to 106kph on our 'freeway' and it works fine. I like the fact that it can slide on and off with two nuts, and still sits firm on the bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Also, how stable is it at higher speeds? I usually prefer shields that attach to the bars and forks for stability. Some two mounting point shields vibrate and move around at high speed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts