XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I guess in Japan and in many places in Europe, the horn is just a substitute to a middle finger. Most people tell it is hard to reach on XSR. I ran Revel scooters in San Francisco, and I did accidentally press the horn. That has never happened with XSR.

·
Registered
2021 XSR700 Dynamic White
12 Posts
I have done this quite a few times on mine and i have driven the MT09 and 07 and it's in the same place! definitely a design flaw, i think the horn would have been nice where the flash high beam trigger is... maybe there's a rewire mod or something to move the button?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Don't know why they couldn't just do what everyone else has done for decades. Button well below the turn signal switch. And why not put self canceling turn signals on the bike, heck they had them on the SR500 back in 1978. I don't get that, every bike with all the digital stuff should have self canceling turn signals. Cruise would have been nice too, but that's another thing.

·
Registered
2022 XSR 700
31 Posts
I love my new bike but this is annoying. I honk by mistake daily. My riding buddies are laughing at me now

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll probably get used to it given it's new gloves and a new bike, should give myself a chance. However it does appear to be designed from the point of view of someone not wearing thick-ish gloves.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see in previous posts people have fitted MT03 LH switch gear. I'll probably get used to it, but it's flat out just a poor design taking into account man hands in man gloves. If you're 1 or 2mm off, boom. I'll look more into a fix. I may even mount another small switch next the current switch, using the mirror mount bolt head as a mounting point.

Bicycle Vehicle Bicycle handlebar Tire Bicycle part

·
Registered
56 Posts
I see in previous posts people have fitted MT03 LH switch gear. I'll probably get used to it, but it's flat out just a poor design taking into account man hands in man gloves. If you're 1 or 2mm off, boom. I'll look more into a fix. I may even mount another small switch next the current switch, using the mirror mount bolt head as a mounting point.

View attachment 27208
Oh, they changed it on ’22? That seems worse than before. Or is the pic from mt03? Need to recheck mine tomorrow.

·
Registered
56 Posts

View attachment 27208
Looks to be the same on ’21:
Water Bicycle handlebar Bicycle Vehicle Automotive tire

I guess with thick gloves it might be a problem.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes, I think it is about getting used to it. Today I tried to watch what I am doing. I started to move my thumb from bottom to up until I felt the indicator switch, and then I stopped moving it. I looked my leather gloves and I was not even close to hit the horn.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I haven't had an issue with the horn button. I'd have preferred the standard layout from all my other Yamahas, but it's not been a problem. Every bike requires a little adjustment in the muscle memory. Not sure why Yamaha spent the money to make unique controls for this bike. The slider for trip/info would have been better as a rocker switch and less prone to problems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can confirm I am getting used to it. Had a good 4 hour ride this morning through all sorts of little mountain towns and didn't blip the horn once. Looking at my posture on the bike, I seem to only hit the button by accident if adopt a very casual/lazy riding posture (elbows not bent properly and wearing flip flops, lol)... which I do sometimes when doing 20 or 30km/h around local little back roads/farm land.
When sitting correctly with arms positioned properly, seems to fine. Moral of the story is ride it properly I guess and not like a big BMX :)

Plant Land vehicle Sky Bicycle handlebar Cloud

1 - 20 of 20 Posts