XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most of you are fair weather riders, anyone still using their bike regularly in the Northern Hemisphere? I will be riding right through as have to go to work (70 mile commute Monday thru Friday), anyone else using their baby through winter? I did think of getting a cheap hack bike for Winter but prices for older middleweights and 125s, even step-thrus like the C90, are crazy now.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Fat chance, when the snow is deep enough for snowmobiling you'll rarely find anyone crazy enough to try two-wheeling it. Normally we head for Arizona and trailer a bike but not this year. Too spooky with the virus.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I wish I could. Snow and Ice are crazy by me during winter. And Sand and Salt are abundant on the roads until mid March. I still got some more miles in recently in ~40 degrees Fahrenheit. Hoping for another ride or two in the next couple weeks. Trust me when I say I'm not happy about it :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
I plan to do the occasional ride when the roads are clean and the temperatures a bit above freezing. Avoids any sort of winterization. May try the dual sport out in the side yard after some snow, though... ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
South west UK is usually pretty mild. I have ridden on snow and ice, but now I'm retired I don't need to.
Apart from that, I'll be riding this winter, though the XT600 may be used to spare the XSR's delicate finish for some of it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I will ride unless its below 40 degrees when I'm leaving for work.
We don't really have much "winter" in central Texas

·
Registered
184 Posts
This will be my second winter wit the xsr riding all days (as usual).
All correct.
It can snow (rare and scarcely), it can rain (sometimes) and it will always be below zero in the morning and sometimes for the whole day.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Living in northern Alabama, riding all year round is a given. Personally, I draw the line when the temperature drops below 40°F, but that is relatively uncommon here. Most of the time I simply throw on an underclothes windproof liner, leather up and hit the roads. The crisp air of winter makes for clear sight and slightly reduced traffic.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Are they motorcycle gloves? no.
But I bought these a month ago and have used them a few times in 40 degree weather. They kept me warm for 30 miles in one direction. After 30 miles they became warm-ish. By 65 miles they were better than nothing, but for a commute, they do the job.

I am an L in gloves and the 2XL work well for me.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Living in northern Alabama, riding all year round is a given. Personally, I draw the line when the temperature drops below 40°F, but that is relatively uncommon here. Most of the time I simply throw on an underclothes windproof liner, leather up and hit the roads. The crisp air of winter makes for clear sight and slightly reduced traffic.
And less visor cleaning.....

·
Registered
53 Posts
I live in NW washington (I can see Victoria, B.C. Canada from my bedroom window) I have to admit I don't try very hard when it comes to foul weather riding.
Since I live 4 miles from work, it seems futile to gear up for that short of a ride, and get my bike grimy.
When the weather is 50* F or more my desire to ride really kicks in...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Are they motorcycle gloves? no.
But I bought these a month ago and have used them a few times in 40 degree weather. They kept me warm for 30 miles in one direction. After 30 miles they became warm-ish. By 65 miles they were better than nothing, but for a commute, they do the job.

I am an L in gloves and the 2XL work well for me.
Those have Live Long And Prosper written all over them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts