XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I'd like some input on when to change tyres!

Currently I have the Phantoms which where on the bike when I bought it, date stamped 4515, so 2015.
It's a 2016 bike which has done 14k miles, last 1k or so have been me.

I can only assume from the above they have been on since new, given their age, and still have c. 3mm of tread.
(Unless they were taken off and put back on again!)

They look OK to me, but I'm by no means an expert on this, picture below (I don't have a closer shot).

Anyways, time to change or leave as is?

Bonus question while you're here! My oil view window looks like this when on a paddock stand, is that too much oil? Was last serviced by a mechanic.

Thank you!!

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ohhhhhh. A tire and Oil question in one post. This should be good. :ROFLMAO:

As far as the tires, it depends on were and how they were stored. The answer to your question is a question. What’s is more catastrophic to you, a bill for a fresh set of tires, or the bill of repairs resulting from an unpredictable tire failure. by the way how’s N London these days? If you don’t trust the tires change them.

As far as the oil, owners manual screen capture below. If you’re going to put the bike on a racing stand, to check the oil, use something under the front tire to level the bike out. Depending on the stand, a good ol brick should do the trick. Hope that was helpful.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hahahaha exactly, should get the conversation flowing!
See that’s what I thought! But I’d be surprised if the guy overfilled it! Must admit I didn’t start it first so will do it textbook tomorrow and see!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would change those tyres right now. But thats just me.
Reason is not age or wear but that the oem phantoms are really bad and dont match the bikes setup.
Invest in Michelin road or power 5s and the bike will be magic in wet or dry

·
Registered
328 Posts
Honestly I didn't know the Phantoms were made of... wood, or I would have replaced them soon after buying the bike
At 14K miles it's evident they are as hard as hardwood and offer the same grip too :(

·
Super Moderator
764 Posts
Scorpion STRs are OK but not brilliant on the road. If you're planning on riding gravel tracks, STRs will be perfect - but I wouldn't get them if your use is 100% tarmac. They may look good on the XSR but Michelin PR5s will feel (and perform) much better!
That oil looks a bit over full, but probably not worth worrying about - better a little too much than not enough! Try leaning the bike over a bit towards the right side - if the level can be seen in the window very quickly, you're OK.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Check oil when level on the ground, not on a stand. Oil will flow forward showing a higher level tha it is. To maka dealing with sitting th bike upright put a block of wood under the sidestand to get it nearer upright, less lift to get vertical.

As tire companies are now recommending five to seven years the age is no big deal. I was in a Bridgestone seminar fir Honda, The rep said if there is sidewall or tread cracking, small cracking isn't a risk, it is if the cracking is deep and showin cord that is the risk. Now that was a general comment for holdingporessure, not the compound hardening fi the performance rider sport riding.

Persomal tire preference is beside the point and is pending rider style and type of riding to be done.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I would change tires, better safe than sorry. Lots of options out there and depends on your driving style etc. I just put on Road 5's

·
Registered
588 Posts
Duurrrrr I feel silly now, of course... Hahaha!
As being a teacher and a fair amount of time formally as a student, and a lifetime informally as a student I will tell you, never feel foolish for asking about something, feel foolish if you don't and it bites you in the butt. No one actually knows it all... Well maybe Kevin Cameron and the late Gordon Jennings, but that's all. ;)

It took me until I was in college again at 36 years old (after an accident that put me in vocational rehab) to realize what I was doing had to make a living for my children and me. From that point on I would interrupt my professors if I didn't understand something or if I was falling behind in notes.

Never had one professor give me grief about it and usually several others in the class had the same questions but wouldn't ask. My second time through, my lowest grades were a B in Physics II and a summer session Intuitive Calculus class... Every one would take the time to make sure they answered my question or I got the notes needed.

Questions are good, knowledge expands.

Oh, and on the tire topic I have a set of Bridgestone Battlax Adventurecross Scrambler AX41S tires in the garage... dared to be different, liked the aggressive looking tread for the XSR. So, I figured why not. Tried to find some reviews but none could be found. After buying them, with a $50 rebate I finally found some threads in other forums and they should work fine for my preferences.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As a teacher and adjunct college professor, I heartily second these comments! Questions are a good thing, and I love students who ask questions. One thing I appreciate about this forum is that it seems to be relatively free of big egos, so it's a great place to ask questions.

As being a teacher and a fair amount of time formally as a student, and a lifetime informally as a student I will tell you, never feel foolish for asking about something, feel foolish if you don't and it bites you in the butt. No one actually knows it all... Well maybe Kevin Cameron and the late Gordon Jennings, but that's all. ;)

It took me until I was in college again at 36 years old (after an accident that put me in vocational rehab) to realize what I was doing had to make a living for my children and me. From that point on I would interrupt my professors if I didn't understand something or if I was falling behind in notes.

Never had one professor give me grief about it and usually several others in the class had the same questions but wouldn't ask. My second time through, my lowest grades were a B in Physics II and a summer session Intuitive Calculus class... Every one would take the time to make sure they answered my question or I got the notes needed.

Questions are good, knowledge expands.

Oh, and on the tire topic I have a set of Bridgestone Battlax Adventurecross Scrambler AX41S tires in the garage... dared to be different, liked the aggressive looking tread for the XSR. So, I figured why not. Tried to find some reviews but none could be found. After buying them, with a $50 rebate I finally found some threads in other forums and they should work fine for my preferences.

·
Registered
530 Posts
[..]
I can only assume from the above they have been on since new, given their age, and still have c. 3mm of tread.
(Unless they were taken off and put back on again!)

They look OK to me, but I'm by no means an expert on this, picture below (I don't have a closer shot).

Anyways, time to change or leave as is?
[..]
There are two hard figures which count, the legal minimum tread depth, which can vary from the minimum tread marked on the tires. To find at the TWI, tread wear indicator, on your tires. You may check which comes first. Or which creates more messes with the police or insurance.

A little soft is the figure about tire age. A used bike offered from a dealer with those old tires, I would go into negotiation, either price reduction or a set of fresh tires.
Buying a new set of tires, I would reject a set elder than six years. If tires are already installed and I get it after a while of riding, I would ride them to the minimum tread depth according above two hard figures.

A very soft figure is about feeling comfortable with the tires. If there are no worries, just ride them.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Tire and oil questions, you'll never get the same answer twice because everyone thinks their opinion is better than anyone else's. My personal thinking on tires is, keep your riding within the capabilities of the tires and you'll be fine, no two riders are exactly the same or ride on exactly the same surfaces and that's just the way it is. Be safe and don't outride the ride.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts