XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fairly mechanically savvy; I've changed the headlight assembly, indicators, etc on my xsr. I rode a dirt bike for years and was always working on it. I had an off a few weeks ago and it knocked the wheel off a few degrees. On my dirt bike, I just usually found a tree or some other non-moveable object and just forced the wheel straight. However, this being my first road bike I don't want to use such draconian methods. At any rate, can someone give me a little guidance on loosing the xsr fork so I can realign? Not sure which bolts i need to loosen and in what order. I imagine I can find the torque specs somewhere.
Thanks fellas.

·
Banned
4 Posts
I'm fairly mechanically savvy; I've changed the headlight assembly, indicators, etc on my xsr. I rode a dirt bike for years and was always working on it. I had an off a few weeks ago and it knocked the wheel off a few degrees. On my dirt bike, I just usually found a tree or some other non-moveable object and just forced the wheel straight. However, this being my first road bike I don't want to use such draconian methods. At any rate, can someone give me a little guidance on loosing the xsr fork so I can realign? Not sure which bolts i need to loosen and in what order. I imagine I can find the torque specs somewhere.
Thanks fellas.
Hope this helps.

Grab a buddy and loosen the lower fork pinch points (leave the upper tree pinch points tight), then firmly push down on the forks while you or your buddy holds the tire/bike steady... that should help align everything. Don't forget to tighten the lower fork pinch bolts and you are done!

Mike

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike!

I would have never thought of that method! I’ll give it a go tomorrow.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any order as far as loosing and tightening the pinch bolts. Also, by your suggestion, I assume that we don’t manually straighten the wheel but rather let the compression and rebound of the fork do the aligning?
Thanks so much for the beta.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I would have never thought of that method! I’ll give it a go tomorrow.
Are you sure you didn't bend a fork tube? If it is a bent fork tube rather than a twist in the alignment of the tubes or sliders, you'll have to replace the effected part. Hopefully it is just a case of twisting in the clamped areas.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Are you sure you didn't bend a fork tube? If it is a bent fork tube rather than a twist in the alignment of the tubes or sliders, you'll have to replace the effected part. Hopefully it is just a case of twisting in the clamped areas.
Good point.... If the forks are bent most of the time when they rebound from being compressed (pushed down) they will hang up on the return.

Cheers!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Worked perfect. Thanks Mike!

Appreciate the help, guys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts