XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my XSR, but am always wondering what bike will be next. I rarely have another of the same type (bar TRX850/VTR1000) so will have a different mount late next year. Contenders so far are:

1) Triumph Trident (triple)
2) Z900RS (Kawasaki - not had one other then fixers/field bikes)
3) XSR900/Tracer 900 (more comfort/power)

in my position, which would you choose and why?

·
Registered
385 Posts
My top 3 in order:
2022 xsr900 if it gets the new mt09 treatment.
2018-2021 Z900rs or rscafe
2019- Triumph Speed Twin?

I would NOT get the xsr900 before the redesign. The 700 is plenty enough compared to the current 900.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I found it interesting that some of the media pointed to the 700 over the 900 for the fun factor. My brother has an FJ-09 and really likes it except for the power mode set up. A mode is just too sporatic and not very useful. He said they get darm near the same performance with the B mode, with increased rideability in the winding roadways around where he lives in east Ohio. I think he said he usually runs the C mode when riding two up.

I rode the bike and find it a bit big and tall for me. The power delivery isn't as much fun for me as the 700, where you can be a lot more ham fisted and work it. The bike was a lot more almost intuitive going into corners. I rode it on a fairly tight technical road, Ohio SR646 between Scio and Steubenville Ohio. When I got back on my XSR it felt almost small and light, but did take more muscling into turns... but still more fun for me, and I only ride solo.

I'd say for more open roadways his bike would be the hot ticket. I believe the new version of it is the Tracer 900.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I like to try different bikes, and I don't think anyone can chose for you, only themselves, and I'd chose the Triumph just because I've never had a Triumph triple and from what I've seen so far, they seem to be a nice ride.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The new 2021 mt09 displacement, brakes, suspension, intake and fuel delivery system, transmission, clutch, quickshifter, imu, frame, chassis, adjustable ergonomics, lean sensitive abs and slide control, all new or redesigned or up-spec'ed.

The 2022 xsr900 is definitely gonna get the treatment. And it's probably gonna cost only 1k more than the 700. It won't be close at that point. Especially since we already see their new mt07 redesign. A different headlight and slightly larger brakes. That's it. 2022 sounds like 900 time to me.

·
Super Moderator
794 Posts
Part of the joy of biking is planning the next bike! I always have a shortlist of about six - they move up and down in order of priority, sometimes dropping off the list and making room for new entrants. As to the three (only three?) on your list, here's my thoughts.
I tried the XSR900 before buying my 700. Lovely bike, very responsive and more roomy than the 700. If I was planning long trips with a pillion, I'd probably go for the 900, but in its Tracer clothes. I fell back on the 700 as I liked its simplicity, lightness (important as the years advance!) and its power was adequate for my solo rides.
The Z900RS is a beauty - stunning retro styling and loads of power. But, personally, I wouldn't want a heavy in-line four.
As to the new Trident.... Triumph triples are fast and smooth (I had a Tiger 800 a few years ago), and pretty reliable. But they are crammed with unnecessary gadgets ('rider aids'), which cause too many decision dilemmas and they lack the 'feel' of a twin, despite engineering attempts to dial in the twin characteristics.
So, I'd probably stick with the XSR700...though a Motoguzzi V7iii Special is calling pretty loudly at the moment!

Fortunately, we all have different biking needs and wants, hence we're spoilt for choice. Good luck!

·
Registered
550 Posts
I do not really have a list. There was a wish or intention to throw a leg over Aprilia all new RS 660. But, who knows, winter can be long.
I was sitting a while on KTMs Duke 890 R, but there were several things, which did not lead to an all satisfying feeling. Here to short, there to less room, right arch hitting the exhaust, etc... The vaginal headlight design, which has to be changed completely. No, sitting there assured me, even if the ride would be a blast, this will be not my next ride.

I remembered a track day on my wife's MT-09 some years ago. It was a fantastic day, even half of it was raining. But the MT-09 did everything fine, very controlled, giving confidence on throttle and on the brakes. I was quite fast and not a second the feeling of being underpowered or riding on a nervous donkey on dope. Very good balanced bike built from Yamaha.
So maybe I will quit the idea of an Italian Bella, and will go for the all new MT-09? Even that I have to drop the possibilities to start in the two cylinder race classes during track days.

As said, I have no list and winter can be long :)

·
Registered
635 Posts
I think, by 2022, it will be time for Yamaha to do some substantial updates to the XSR 700, like the updated clutch, maybe some additional software programs, etc, or drop it for something new altogether. Personally I like the XSR format for what it is, simple and to the fact but I'm not the only potential buyer out there either and those of us in our 70's may or may not be around for the next generation of bikes so Yamaha is probably looking at younger people than myself when they decide what they want to do for 2022. From what I've been seeing, the tendency is headed towards twins in the roughly 700cc range so I'd expect they'll be in there too. For my suggestion, if I was allowed one, I'd go with a 700cc triple much like Triumph, obviously Yamaha has the knowhow.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am a Yamaha man through and through really, from the 250LC/TZR250 to my TRX850s and loads in between, so be really nice to see a 700cc CP3 engined Yamaha triple, that would be ideal! Don't think (riding winter in the UK) I'd need a 900, my 7 is plenty most of the time so the Triumph appeals but so does the Kwak as have not had one properly in 30+ years of riding. Triumph need to stop putting a Union flag on bikes made in Thailand too.

·
Super Moderator
794 Posts
Triumph need to stop putting a Union flag on bikes made in Thailand too.
Yes, I get the need to maintain a brand identity but Triumph branding seems to go OTT, to the point where it makes you cringe. I saw a new BMW car the other day - subtle propeller badge on the front, even one on the back too - but did it really need the same badge ON EACH SIDE of the car as well?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like I'll hang on to the XSR for riding in the summer on blasts around country lanes and to the seaside, with Winter and commuting duties going to the bike I've just signed off on, a new KTM Duke 390.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Indian FTRS is my next ride. Hopefully mid-2021.
Wow that's not far off. I'm guessing you're done modding then? Me xsr900 2022 or whenever the new improved mt09 becomes an xsr900. And I'll just go to my favorite dealer for the trade. Would love to trade my 700 for 4k then and get a loan for 6k only. I think that's fair.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wow that's not far off. I'm guessing you're done modding then? Me xsr900 2022 or whenever the new improved mt09 becomes an xsr900. And I'll just go to my favorite dealer for the trade. Would love to trade my 700 for 4k then and get a loan for 6k only. I think that's fair.
Pretty much for now. I'm happy with what I got on it. Bike runs and feels solid. I'm not one to sell bikes I like and the XSR falls into that category. I rode the FTRS at a demo day this past summer. Holy crap. Ride position is very similar to my XSR. But crazy fast in track mode. Handles amazing. Comes with Akro exhaust too. Not much to mod really. This is the one...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Pretty much for now. I'm happy with what I got on it. Bike runs and feels solid. I'm not one to sell bikes I like and the XSR falls into that category. I rode the FTRS at a demo day this past summer. Holy crap. Ride position is very similar to my XSR. But crazy fast in track mode. Handles amazing. Comes with Akro exhaust too. Not much to mod really. This is the one...

View attachment 25401
I've read a lot about it. A goldilocks bike for sure.

If I had lots of dough I would get it, ducati scrambler 1100, triumph speed twin, BMW r9t, z900rs or cafe, honda cb1000r, list goes on and on. The new Ducati monster looks great too. The Honda cb1100ex was mighty fine, discontinued now and impossible to find. My favorite bikes are retro inspired naked bikes, they just are. Love the guzzi v9 too. So many good choices. Enjoy that.

Happy new year

·
Registered
550 Posts
Is Trident 660 smaller bike compare to XSR 700? Has someone experience with Triumph already?
What is your concern? If it is seat height there is no other way than taking a seat. Comparing the catalogue data will no clarify how the seat is shaped where your butt rests, how wide is the seat or where are the foot rests when you want to reach the ground, etc.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts