XSR 700 Forums banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
My brother put some Avon AV53/54 Trailrider tires on his FZ09, said they were fairly smooth on the road and gives okay traction on dirt/gravel roads, although he's doing the serious rougher roads/trails on a KLX250 rather than the 09. But maybe a bit of a scrambler type tire for those who aren't getting into really tough stuff.

He used Distanzias on the Ulysses and a friend uses them on his DRz400 supermoto. I guess the AV53/54 are the replacement for those tires. They got fair mileage from them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had Michelin Pilot Road 4's on my R1 for that last 3-4 years. Excellent performance, wet or dry. (I live in Ireland, so wet often)

I've been to about 8-9 track days on them (wet and dry) and they are still in great shape. Will almost certainly put them on the XSR when the time comes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My shortlist for tires are:
MICHELIN ROAD 5
MICHELIN PILOT ROAD 4 GT
PIRELLI MT 60 RS

I will ask for prices and then decide.

·
Super Moderator
764 Posts
The PR4 is an outstanding road tyre for all weathers. If your use is 100% tarmac, then the PR4 is the answer. If you venture onto gravel, the MT60RS is the way forward. Ignore the cost factor! Folk who use the MT60RS say it makes a good road tyre, but the PR4 will be better if you never leave the road. If, like me, your local roads are covered in gravel, grass and cow s***, then the MT60RS is worth a punt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
9 months late but i wanted a beefy scrambler look like XSR 700 with TK80s but has anyone fitted TK70s or shinkos.
And any other scrambler look with good use can be recommended..!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I changed to Metzeler Sportec M7 RR and there is a huge cobfidence increase compred to the OEM Phantom tyres. The Metzelers are much more grippier (and softer) and easier to flip from side to side (probably also more sportier profile of the tyre). So far very satisfied

Cannot comment on wet behaviour since do not ride in wet. Will see how long it will last.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I changed to Metzeler Sportec M7 RR and there is a huge cobfidence increase compred to the OEM Phantom tyres. The Metzelers are much more grippier (and softer) and easier to flip from side to side (probably also more sportier profile of the tyre). So far very satisfied

Cannot comment on wet behaviour since do not ride in wet. Will see how long it will last.
I have made around 2k on them on dry and still perfect. Tried them also on wet and performed well (although I have not tried extreme angles but the tires managed hard acceleration out of the apex without slipping)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Just had a pair of Pilot 4 Roads fitted, horrid ride home in the wet on brand new tyres but they did fine so can start to scrub them in a bit now on the work commute next week. He took the front wheel off and there was a screw in the front tyre - must literally have happened riding in, glad it didn't happen on the way home!

·
Registered
530 Posts
While i'm aware those tires are good, may be better in the cold and rain but 35+ celsius degrees summer days on track with tarmac hot as **** is where they will surely overheat and im planning to do a trackday in the summer every weekend if possible. Im also not really concerned about mileage and price is roughly the same for those ST tires. I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy sport tires but i will share my experience with them.

...just curious, did you ever update with your experience S22s on a XSR during track days?

BR
hombacher

·
Registered
288 Posts
Just had a pair of Pilot 4 Roads fitted, horrid ride home in the wet on brand new tyres but they did fine so can start to scrub them in a bit now on the work commute next week. He took the front wheel off and there was a screw in the front tyre - must literally have happened riding in, glad it didn't happen on the way home!
So glad I got these - weather has been appalling and I ride everyday - can honestly say I am more confident on these in a downpour than I was on the Phantoms in the dry!

·
Registered
2017 Yamaha XSR 700
19 Posts
I just got home a set of Road 5's yesterday. I've heard almost only good things about them, especially the wet weather performance, and as someone who lives in northern Europe, I certainly am going to need that. I'm really keen to put them on!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got about 2000 km on a pair of Dunlop Mutant tires. These tire are a huge improvement over the OEM Pirellis - which I hated because of their tendency to let go at fairly mild lean angles, and their absolute intolerance of the smallest amount of sand or gravel on the road. The Mutants hold onto the road better in the rain than the OEM tires did on dry pavement, and they're drastically better on gravel roads - they are rated M&S (mud and snow).

I don't think Yamaha got the tire pressures right. When I inflated the tires to the recommended pressures they seemed to be over inflated. Reducing the pressure to 28 PSI on the front and 32 PSI on the rear seems to hit the sweet spot and the bike feels much more secure. This was true of both the OEM tires and the Mutants.

I've been riding bikes for close to 50 years and did a fair amount of racing in my younger days so I'm not making these comments as an inexperienced newbie.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts