XSR 700 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things about the Continental Road Attack 3. That said I think I'm going to put on some Shinko 705s soon just for grins.
I had Shinko 705s on mine for 8000Km so far and they are wearing well. They perform well on pavement (much better than stock Phantoms) even on wet, and needless to say they are a hoot on dirt roads.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As a new rider, a question to those who have or haven't changed their tires.

Is there anything "wrong" with the stock tires?

I live in an area where it rains a lot, and while I don't plan to ride in wet weather much, if I wait until the sun perfectly dries everything out I'll only get a month's worth of riding in all year. So wet performance is definitely a key factor, but dry performance is my primary focus.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had Shinko 705s on mine for 8000Km so far and they are wearing well. They perform well on pavement (much better than stock Phantoms) even on wet, and needless to say they are a hoot on dirt roads.
Good to hear, my main concern is wet pavement performance (living in the PNW). What size did you mount in the rear?

·
Registered
26 Posts
As a new rider, a question to those who have or haven't changed their tires.

Is there anything "wrong" with the stock tires?

I hate the stock tires, but I ride in an area with a lot of grooved concrete. The hollow spot along the centre line creates a noticeable shimmy at highway speed.

·
Super Moderator
764 Posts
The stock tyres are OK but that's all. They're not bad enough to replace before they wear out but I can't see anyone going for them as a second set when there are far better tyres available. My Tracer 700 came with Michelin PR4s as standard - they are far superior to the Phantoms fitted to the XSR, especially in the wet.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The downside of the Phantoms is clearly wet behavior. I need to go really slow to fully control the bike.
Other than that, they are fine tires.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The downside of the Phantoms is clearly wet behavior. I need to go really slow to fully control the bike.
Other than that, they are fine tires.
Yeah, the only downside of the stock tires is the deadly behavior in wet conditions :|
I won't lie, I really don't like those tires at all :-/
I remember how I was really uncomfortable while it was raining. Here in France you can ride between the cars and riding on the white lines while it's raining is like Russian roulette.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah, the only downside of the stock tires is the deadly behavior in wet conditions :|
I won't lie, I really don't like those tires at all :-/
I remember how I was really uncomfortable while it was raining. Here in France you can ride between the cars and riding on the white lines while it's raining is like Russian roulette.
Yes, I understand. I'm from a small island in Portugal that rarely rains (on the South side) and I'm also considering changing as soon as these tires end.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have been pleasantly surprised by the stock tire performance. I love in an area with a lot of gravel and have ridden them in the wet (first day out on them, actually).

In my experience, the painted lines are always slick in the wet. And rain grooved concrete always seems to make the front wander. I've never ridden a tire that didn't have those characteristics. With that said there are probably people here who rode more miles last year than I have in the past ten, and they may have a different opinion.

Handling would be improved with a narrower rear IMO so I will be experimenting with that when it's time to change.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just a small update: I've been riding on the Pirelli mt60 rs tires for a while now and they are performing really well, I am much more confident leaning in to corners and they look great.

Can't say much about wear because they haven't been on for long enough

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just a small update: I've been riding on the Pirelli mt60 rs tires for a while now and they are performing really well, I am much more confident leaning in to corners and they look great.

Can't say much about wear because they haven't been on for long enough

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Got my MT60S since a little bit more than 10 000 Km now and I love them ! I already said how beautiful I find them but I also have to say that they are pretty good on wet roads (I already said that too).
But on dry conditions I can't really spot any differences with the stock tires

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ended up going with the Michelin Road 5's after recommendations on this board. On the ride to the shop I was hit with my first rain ride and man.... those Phantoms do not hold up. The ABS kicked in when barely coming to a stop and the front end felt like I was riding on jelly. Glad I was already on my way to getting the tires swapped! Now it is time to break them in!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I changed my OEM tyres for Michelin Pilot Road 4 and I can’t believe the imorocement. It’s like a different bike and confidence in corners is massively increased (for me). I wish I’d done it sooner but I may need new hero blobs soon!! 😃

·
Registered
312 Posts
Haven't put new tires on the XSR yet, but just a positive word for the Continental RA3 street tires. Nice riding, eliminate tar snakes squirrely feeling, great for road use.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts