XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all can anyone recommend what tyres to use, originals are almost finished and was wondering what everyone uses. I was thinking Michelin pilots.

·
Super Moderator
619 Posts
For road use, Michelin Pilot Road 4. They're outstanding in wet or dry conditions and you will notice the difference compared to the OEM Phantoms. I have them on my Tracer and they are excellent. If you want something with more 'scrambler' character, have a look at the Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR.

·
Registered
216 Posts
...ah, I see, your post is already pushed in the correct tire section. I am sure you will find the best suitable tires here, if you know about your riding profile.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just got home with the new Bridgestone S22s fitted. Will write about them once the weather lets me to scrub them in.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just got home with the new Bridgestone S22s fitted. Will write about them once the weather lets me to scrub them in.

Sorry, I do not understand. What makes you think, that you need a Sport or Hyper Sport tire for your XSR700? Is it your tremendous riding skill? The high performance, which needs to be brought to the tarmac with every beat of the engine?

With the todays experience, you only need an actual touring tire, which will cover all your needs and will handle all your demands. Just to understand my little world of tires, here is a write up from last year's experience: https://www.xsr700forums.com/forum/83798-post30.html

Some ideas and types. But first of all, you need to define your personal needs. Refer to the thread starter, he only thinks about Michelin Pilot...

...but what does this mean? Pilot Road, Pilot Power, who knows?

·
Registered
17 Posts

Sorry, I do not understand. What makes you think, that you need a Sport or Hyper Sport tire for your XSR700? Is it your tremendous riding skill? The high performance, which needs to be brought to the tarmac with every beat of the engine?

With the todays experience, you only need an actual touring tire, which will cover all your needs and will handle all your demands. Just to understand my little world of tires, here is a write up from last year's experience: https://www.xsr700forums.com/forum/83798-post30.html

Some ideas and types. But first of all, you need to define your personal needs. Refer to the thread starter, he only thinks about Michelin Pilot...

...but what does this mean? Pilot Road, Pilot Power, who knows?
While i'm aware those tires are good, may be better in the cold and rain but 35+ celsius degrees summer days on track with tarmac hot as **** is where they will surely overheat and im planning to do a trackday in the summer every weekend if possible. Im also not really concerned about mileage and price is roughly the same for those ST tires. I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy sport tires but i will share my experience with them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Road 5 where recommended to me, just wondering if anyone had tried them or any other ie Road 4 as mentioned above.
thanks for the help guys.:smile2:

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have allways went for Michelin when the standard tires of my bike was done. (Except on my XJR1300 then i went for the Roadtec 01 but just rode it to the dealer to change it for my xsr700 so not mutch input on them)
But i really hate the thread pattern on the Pilot 5 looks destroyed with big chunks missing.
The pilot 4 looks alot better.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Dones anyone know how are those mt60rs handling on normal road? Is it smart going for them if I wouldn’t be doing any off road? (Choosing between Michelin road 5 and Pirelli’s)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just put the mt60 rs tyres on my xsr but haven't been able to ride it yet and I'll be abroad this weekend so it will probably be only the weekend after that that I can start riding (if the weather is good), I'll let you know how it goes

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Dones anyone know how are those mt60rs handling on normal road? Is it smart going for them if I wouldn’t be doing any off road? (Choosing between Michelin road 5 and Pirelli’s)
I DeYo,

I'm riding with Pirelli MT60RS since almost 10 000 Kms and I find them pretty good.
I've been told that the Michelin pilot were the best tires but I choose the MT60 because of the look. Not the best reason but I really like the look they give to the Ducati Scrambler bikes.
What I can tell you is that they are quite good when it's wet and I feel really comfortable on dry condition, way more than with the Sportcomp.
I heard the Sportcomp were pretty good but I find them ugly, and pretty bad when the road get a little bit wet.

Basically, if the look wasn't important I would have gone for the Pilot but since I really don't like the design, I choose the MT60RS because I love them.

I choose those one :

Pirelli MT 60 RS 180/55 ZR17 73W
Pirelli MT 60 RS 120/70 ZR17 58W

W instead of V in order for them to last longer.

·
Super Moderator
619 Posts
Interesting - I wonder how the MT60RS compares with the Scorpion Rally STR that is fitted to the Desert Sled? It's good to hear that you find the MT60RS comfortable on the road.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Interesting - I wonder how the MT60RS compares with the Scorpion Rally STR that is fitted to the Desert Sled? It's good to hear that you find the MT60RS comfortable on the road.
Getting the STRs fitted tomorrow so hopefully will be able to offer up an opinion and some photos this week.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Just back from the fitter.
Only put a few KMs on them so far so can't offer a proper opinion apart from that they look great and that there were no nasty surprises on the short ride home.
In person, aestheticallly, they are a brilliant compromise between the squared-off, not really for on road use TKC80s and the MT60 RS, which I feel from a distance look too much like a regular road tyre.
Will get some better photos up once I've finished modding some of the panels...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 51 Posts