XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to turn my bike into a café racer (inspired by the Ducati sport1000 from Tron legacy) ive currently got angel gt2 touring tyres on which aren't great. what sport tyres are people running that grip well in the dry and do decent ish in the rain at the least? I'm not one to ride in the rain much but just incase i get caught out as it is England after all.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Pirelli Angel GT2 is a very good touring tire. He performs well to good in all typical weather conditions.

So called sports tires will not perform better. They will have disadvantages in regard to optimum tire temperature especially with a lightweight bike with medium power output. They often get a little tricky in wet conditions.

·
Super Moderator
747 Posts
Michelin PR5s it is then. (Or PR4s if you can still find them).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are comparing apples to oranges; the Michelin PR5's are sport-touring tires, the Rosso Corsa II's are racing tires.
the angel gt2 tyre are sport touring and i cant say i was massively all for them, didnt feel like they had my back on some corners. though it could be (more likely is) rider error.
anywho my angel gt2 has a deep crack on the rear and i need to replace it nd ideally a matching front so am looking for a sporty tyre.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
though it could be (more likely is) rider error
Yes.
As @hombacher said, the Angel GT2 is a very capable sport-touring tire.

ideally a matching front
Hold up, what do you mean by matching the front tire?
You're not planning on mismatching tires, right? Keeping the Angel GT2 front and putting on a Rosso Corsa II (or whatever) in the back?

·
Registered
629 Posts
As you can see, tires are much like oil, each user has their own criteria of what tire is good for them. Make a check list, look at the reviews of different tires and then decide. I'd go with the black round type.:unsure::unsure:

·
Registered
513 Posts
[..] I'd go with the black round type.:unsure::unsure:
Heard only best about them. (y)

You recommend those over pirellis rosso corsa 2's?
The question is, do you ask, because you expect an answer, or do you 'tire ask', for the question only? Some people do so, even they already decided for something. They need the personal exhibition to get a Yeah. Even if it is one Yeah only against ten No, they relay on their previous decision and the only one Yeah.

From tire point of view, the Pirelli Corsa 2 coming from same Metzeler - Pirelli home is comparable with a M7RR. A tire which I rate below-average in my personal multi purpose list, (sporty sport) touring, more touring under most weather conditions and sporadic race track. M7RR finished with a low mileage and performs much lower than a Michelin Road 5 on my list.

So whatever you choose, even you are confident to ride very hard (*) most actual touring tires can much more than you do.

(*) at an other end of the forums I wrote maybe something about a proper self-evaluation regarding riding style and speed and a possible free of charge reality check. My opinion you are very very far away from hard riding.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you're still on the stock suspension (which based on your other threads is the case), I don't think you're outriding the tires. I have PR5s and they are a fantastic tire. I do not intentionally ride in the rain (I have car/truck for that) and do long trips (2-4K miles) so sport touring is the name of the game... Having said that, this tire has blown me away in terms of dry performance and wear characteristics. I do get to ride on gravel occasionally and it's not great but it's not too scary either, but any dedicated track tire will be unmanageable in gravel/dirt or wet conditions.

I have an upgraded suspension front and rear and the bike is dialed in for my weight and riding style. I have been riding on and off for 10+ years, and for the last 4 full-time, and put 30K+ miles on various bikes in the last 4... all that to say that I'd like to think I can ride pretty aggressively in the right environment, on dry, twisty mountain/coastal roads, I'm pushing the bike pretty hard. These PR5s have not let me down yet, and I plan to buy another rear when this one wears out.

·
Registered
97 Posts
the angel gt2 tyre are sport touring and i cant say i was massively all for them, didnt feel like they had my back on some corners. though it could be (more likely is) rider error.
anywho my angel gt2 has a deep crack on the rear and i need to replace it nd ideally a matching front so am looking for a sporty tyre.
I'd be curious to know what pressures you're running on your tires and how frequently you check it? I run a few psi higher front and rear with good results, and I try to check pressure before every single ride, but in all honesty if I'm doing a lot of short daily trips, close to home, it's more like every 2-3 rides.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've still got the OEM's on mine, but I noticed on here that somebody spooned on a set of Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR's which I really liked the look of. This is my play bike so I'm not too worried performance differences of any decent modern tire. Random side note - back when I road-raced a Triumph 650 in the early 80's I used a Pirelli Phantom rear on the front... that was a great set-up in the day - tires have come a LONG ways 🙃

·
Registered
29 Posts
Recently switched from the OEM's to a set of Conti Road Attack 3's going off a recommendation from a much more seasoned rider. A totally different feel and I find the bike just wants to tip in quicker and transition smoother, I have far more confidence rolling on coming out of the bend. I did a 50 mile break in period but even though they don't use release agents but probably could have pushed the bike harder earlier on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts