XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you can share a few things about your ownership of the Yamaha XSR700, what would it be? The most liked or hated, share them with every one I am sure you won't be the only one. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ok I will kick things off with a brief list.

Loves: Handling, The look of the bike, The smooth torque packed engine, The fact you can make it look just how you want to!

Hates: The mirrors (and I still havn't changed them!) The crap stock exhaust, The rear stock tail.

Other than that I absolutely love the bike!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I love the engine, the light and extremely well manageable weight, brakes , riding position and of course the looks.
Hate suspension, exhaust, and it could have a better seat.

It's a big love even with it's flaws

·
Super Moderator
619 Posts
Loves: Great aesthetics, (especially fuel tank in Forest Green!); light, flickable handling, torquey engine; stock exhaust looks; huge fun factor when riding!

Dislikes (not hates): stock exhaust sound; harsh suspension; useless 'hugger'; button position on speedo (wrong side); poorly designed rear brake pedal (still too low even with max adjustment); black rather than brown seat on F/Green bikes

But, all dislikes are forgiven (apart from the hugger and brake pedal) - it's a great bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
the pro's: i love my xsr 700, its a very versatily all round bike,very soft suspension (for me thats a pro because i am not a racer) i love the riding position, the looks,the sound, the reasonable power. It is very classy, and i dont see so much xsr's so its quite exclusive.

Now te con's: i dont like it when i drive with 2 persons, the bike's balance is disturbed when going over 120km/h, the front end become's very light. not a single place to put something.

these are my pros and cons after driving 1 month and about 900 km's
:smile2:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Like the price (even though it has gone up), versatility and customisation options.

Dislike the lack of fork and seat colour choice. stock indicators, fluid reservoir and how easily the tank marks/scratches.

Dare i mention that 2016 silver radiator :)

Hope this isn't a precursor to an xsr700r (like a retro moto cage). ...as cool as that would be i think it may break my heart ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm a new rider after being on a 125 for a year. I live in a rural area with mostly B roads. I I love 4th gear, and the amount of engine braking this thing has. I can pretty much keep it in 4th for slow corners, uphill, faster straights all with barely touching the brakes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I hate the horn button. It's in a ridiculous place. It should be underneath the indicators not next to them!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Love the looks generally, the sound (although too quiet) and the torque.

Hate the stock indicators, mirrors and radiator. The first two are easily changed the rad will need a bit of thought!

·
Super Moderator
619 Posts
Hate the stock indicators, mirrors and radiator. The first two are easily changed the rad will need a bit of thought!
Sorting the rad is pretty easy.....
1. Get a black rad guard (Yamaha's accessory one is OK and not too pricey) and then
2. Either get Yamaha's nice but pricey black accessory side panels or paint your existing side covers black.

Why Yamaha didn't just give us a black radiator to start with, we can only guess (the accessory rad covers must be a nice little earner!). As the XSR rad is fairly large, a decent protective guard is a pretty wise investment as well as an aesthetic improvement.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ye I have a black mesh rad guard fitted. Pretty essential to avoid damaging it. I would like to swap it out for a more compact unit but wouldn't want to risk over heating.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just love everything about it. Maybe the sound could have some gravel thrown in but not too bothered about it. The Bonnie sounded fantastic but the ride was horrible.

·
Super Moderator
619 Posts
I just love everything about it. Maybe the sound could have some gravel thrown in but not too bothered about it. The Bonnie sounded fantastic but the ride was horrible.
My thoughts exactly after test riding a Bonneville Street Twin - great looks, quality build, lovely deep exhaust note but nowhere near as satisfying to ride as the XSR. What a pity, though, that we have to spend hundreds of pounds if we want a 'proper' sounding exhaust (I know you can drill thru' the collection box, but who wants to do that?).

·
Registered
26 Posts
+ looks, suspension, engine, instrument cluster, rear headlight...

- headlight(just too big), original exaust, mirrors...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Likes: The whole character of the bike, the handling, flickability, the engine torque, the overall looks, the colour of mine (red!!!),
Dislikes: position of the speedo (what were Yamaha thinking when they put it there?), I agree about the buttons in the speedo too....Def wrong side, the quality and design of that LH switch... Horn button again wrong position as well.
Bloody ABS does nothing for the braking, apart from make both F & R spongy.
As for the radiator...mine was black originally...but I chose the rad cover as one of my free extras...so what do they do.? Leave the grill silver (self coloured aluminium) A quick coat of Simonize "Satun Tough Black" sorted that!
Overall Yamaha have got it reasonably right for me given the obvious cost restrictions.

·
Super Moderator
619 Posts
Agree with you on the LH switch design - flimsy indicator switch and tiny inaccessible horn button. Perhaps the designers forgot that bikers wear gloves! And, yes, I still find the position of the speedo adjust buttons frustrating after two year's use - having to reach across the speedo to scroll through functions is such a crass design error it beggars belief. It spoils what is otherwise a neat and functional masterpiece of speedo design. But, overall, it's still a lovely bike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm going to do some research on what switch of a more substantial quality/better design I can find to replace the tacky thing that exists. I'm not above putting a new connector on it to suit my requirements. Anybody got any ideas?

·
Registered
7 Posts
As a ex Honda owner there was a lot of criticism of the horn and indicator switches being opposite to most other makes, but I can't understand the thinking behind this design.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts