XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Deepest apologies if this is posted elsewhere, but, new owner, cant help wondering what XSR means? Esp given that we all ride MTV689 or I may have that incorrect. Just be cool to know. Love all round, happy hols. Drakey

· Super Moderator
927 Posts
XS is a link back to the XS series (eg XS650) of the 1970s. As to the 'R'..... I'm guessing it's to denote the more sporty element of the modern retro bikes? Yamaha's 'Faster Sons' = R (??)

· Registered
636 Posts
If you've ever seen Yamaha's add for the Faster Sons , you'll notice that the father had an XS650 when he was younger (XS was just Yamaha's designator for that line of bikes back in the 70's) I think the "R" relates to retro although I'm not positive about that. Father on his XS650, Son on his XSR (faster).

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you've ever seen Yamaha's add for the Faster Sons , you'll notice that the father had an XS650 when he was younger (XS was just Yamaha's designator for that line of bikes back in the 70's) I think the "R" relates to retro although I'm not positive about that. Father on his XS650, Son on his XSR (faster).
Never seen the ad, will try and dig that out. Sounds brilliant. Looking up XS models too. Thanks for replying. Appreciate it. JD

· Registered
636 Posts
Never seen the ad, will try and dig that out. Sounds brilliant. Looking up XS models too. Thanks for replying. Appreciate it. JD
All you have to do is look for Yamaha's adds for the XSR700, it's all over the place. When the XS650 first appeared, it was Yamaha's largest displacement bike. It didn't take long for for it to grow all the way to the XS11 or actually the XS1100, I had one of those too. When it came out, it was king of the road till the next year, a real beast.

· Registered
781 Posts
Agreed, that was what a lot of the Yamaha street bikes had for a designation. Sort of like FJ-07, FJR1300, FZR, YZ, etc and so on. No real meaning. After all, all the street Yamahas in the 80s were XS from the smallest to the largest in the twins, triples, and fours. Sorry to disappoint...

They all did it, Kawasaki's KZ and GPz series, Honda's CB, CL, VF, XL, and XR series, and Suzuki's GS and GSXR series. Just alphabet soup.

· Registered
669 Posts
Jepp, when everything is said, then it is time to say something. XSR is the name. It can mean something, mostly will not, when Japanese motorcycles have such as name. Yamaha often used those names succeeding or related, but inconsistent as well.
Better information gave the three digit abbreviation, or model code, which you will find in Yamaha's internal coding for spare parts etc. B34 is the XSR700 code, 1WS the code for MT-07. So most of your engine parts are coded with 1WS, that is where your XSR engine comes from.

And there is that special naming with MTM690. Even that former Motobécane (today MBK) company is part of Yamaha Motor since 1984, it seems that it is allowed to have their own's life? Whenever a motorcycle is built at MBK Saint-Quentin in France, there is this additional naming, such as MTM690 for the CP2 street bikes of MT-07 and XSR700.

So it is maybe better just to think, that there was a forefather of XS 650, and today you are owning its descendant with an additional R for street sports.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jepp, when everything is said, then it is time to say something. XSR is the name. It can mean something, mostly will not, when Japanese motorcycles have such as name. Yamaha often used those names succeeding or related, but inconsistent as well.
Better information gave the three digit abbreviation, or model code, which you will find in Yamaha's internal coding for spare parts etc. B34 is the XSR700 code, 1WS the code for MT-07. So most of your engine parts are coded with 1WS, that is where your XSR engine comes from.

And there is that special naming with MTM690. Even that former Motobécane (today MBK) company is part of Yamaha Motor since 1984, it seems that it is allowed to have their own's life? Whenever a motorcycle is built at MBK Saint-Quentin in France, there is this additional naming, such as MTM690 for the CP2 street bikes of MT-07 and XSR700.

So it is maybe better just to think, that there was a forefather of XS 650, and today you are owning its descendant with an additional R for street sports.
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Appreciate you sharing knowledge. Regards John

· Registered
781 Posts
My bet is on the fact that in the 70s and 80s all two strokes up to the final RD were RD, the exception in 85 was the RZ, which might have played off the YZ racers. The four strokes were all XS. From that I'd guess the R would stand for retro, being as the XSR is supposed to be a modern Retro version of the XS, or XSR... But probably not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts