XSR 700 Forums banner

641 - 660 of 677 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I took all my panels up to the painter, all 9 of them 😱
Hopefully get them back by end of April in their new colours... pearlescent white and red from the old 350 YPVS, courtesy of Chris @ Atomizzed Art (Facebook)

·
Registered
492 Posts
Yesterday I rode it to the post office since it was just so nice out...

Today I didn't have the time to ride, but I did fire it up to hear the sweet exhaust note again... and again... and again...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Fitted a set of Kappa handguards, have got so used to the Givi ones on my Duke that it felt naked without them - keep the wind off and I'll probably leave them on all year round. Also some mirror extenders. Cleaned, adjusted, lubed the chain. Gave her a wash too. Fitted a 42T rear sprocket on the Duke so a busy bike day - have to get a ride in on the 7 tomorrow.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Got a couple 30 mile rides in. This next week is cold again, and I will clean, adjust, and lube the chain. No mods scheduled this season. Next money will be put into new boots. Forma terra evo x.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Got a couple 30 mile rides in. This next week is cold again, and I will clean, adjust, and lube the chain. No mods scheduled this season. Next money will be put into new boots. Forma terra evo x.
Ooo, good choice Dan, was looking at them, then a guy who services our generator at work offered me a pair of Sidi Vertigo, only worn twice, been in a box for 7 years - mint, only £50 so my old Gaernes have gone to Boot Hill lol. Got a ride in with my mate on his Street Triple, chilly off the bike but loads of bikes out at the local spot/meeting place, even saw another XSR700 in silver. Got a burger and a coffee too, felt like normality.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ooo, good choice Dan, was looking at them, then a guy who services our generator at work offered me a pair of Sidi Vertigo, only worn twice, been in a box for 7 years - mint, only £50 so my old Gaernes have gone to Boot Hill lol. Got a ride in with my mate on his Street Triple, chilly off the bike but loads of bikes out at the local spot/meeting place, even saw another XSR700 in silver. Got a burger and a coffee too, felt like normality.
great price for a great boot. congrats on the unusual score. did you notice your chain out of alignment after your "offseason" or just needed a little tightening up? just curious.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Took apart the headlight again to put on a new XSR900 headlight bucket, after cutting out the back and drilling the bottom mount hole. Should be the right fit this time. Now to get the side plate mounts cut for it this week. When done it will fit much better than trying to heat and mold the back to fit. Out comes the dremel tool to cut it...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Took apart the headlight again to put on a new XSR900 headlight bucket, after cutting out the back and drilling the bottom mount hole. Should be the right fit this time. Now to get the side plate mounts cut for it this week. When done it will fit much better than trying to heat and mold the back to fit. Out comes the dremel tool to cut it...
Will be nice to see it with small side brackets that bring it in closer and not keep it at cannons length.

·
Registered
266 Posts
great price for a great boot. congrats on the unusual score. did you notice your chain out of alignment after your "offseason" or just needed a little tightening up? just curious.
Hi Dan,

Used the bike most of winter before the Duke took over commuting, chain seemed fine though. I tend to run mine slightly tighter than the manual says (around 50mm slack) and not had any issues.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Will be nice to see it with small side brackets that bring it in closer and not keep it at cannons length.
The cool part is that the headlight fits the 900 shell and is only around $35 usd. I am using the matte grey, but there is a metallic black.

The front looked better with the hard board prototype I cut, pulling the light in about an inch and a half, or about 40 mm. I drilled the shell for the rubber grommet that fitted the bottom post, but make it too far back, tipping the shell too far back to have the headlight face close as possible to plumb. That might have been corrected by slotting the hole a bit, but for my way of fitting the back side since it will interfere with the ignitions switch.

For that I tried to heat the shell to push it in, but it turned pretty ugly and required cutting out the shell, which I should have done in the first place. I didn't like the end result, so I ordered another shell...

I had thought I needed to try to keep wiring in the shell, enclosed as possible, but then realized I had the answer to that sitting in the shop, my KLX650 and 250. The wiring is pretty much a similar style, tucked in behind the headlight nacelles (number plates) without much regard to being open. So I figure "what's the difference?" No mud and crap flung around on a road bike, so why worry about leaving the back a bit more open.

Now to carefully cut out the back opening to fit what is behind it while keeping the shell looking good from the outside.

I am also trying to get .375" acrylic plexiglass cut for the side supports since they don't carry any weight, which is carried by the headlight assembly sitting on the metal frame peg on the bottom. If I cannot do the acrylic I will do aluminum. I just think the gloss of the acrylic would look good and no paint. If I do aluminum I may try some of the translucent paint Duplicolor makes for metal.

So far I'm 99% happy with what is done.
  • Lucas style led tail light,
  • fender extension eliminator,
  • unobtrusive mini-turn signals,
  • needed bar risers to move the bars back a bit (short arm reach),
  • spaced offset instrument instead of using the kit riser plate,
  • eliminated front reflectors by cutting the ABS line holding bracket to keep the line support and delete the reflector,
  • excellent tone and volume Delkevic exhaust with the 18" stainless can - I could sit in front of a police car and rev the engine without being ticket bait, yet it sounds like a lightly muffled Yamaha flat tracker, music to my ears without forcing others to "hear the thunder", audible at speed as well. Just doesn't have the current trend shortie-under-the-engine look.
What's to come:
  • I have the C-Racer flat track tail and did the minor grinding to fit it (too tight at the front against the tank). Now to finish it, the surface of the vacuum formed seat plate/tail is mediocre at best and needs sanding smooth and some proper glazing putty to fill in some dips and dimples. Then it will be either paint or a wrap.
  • Apply the speed block graphic stripe and the black out wrap below the stripe to make the tank visually smaller, more flat track (my favorite motor sport).
  • Fitting some 1983 Honda Nighthawk mirrors, the stems are so slender at about 10mm diameter, kind of makes them "disappear". I'm not a bar end fan. Gotta get the left hand threat to right hand thread adapter.
  • Would like to do a set of the J. Murphree bend Vortex bars if I could see how the bend would work for me.
  • Tires to suit the look, Bridgestone Adventurecross AX41S look the part.
Dreaming of:
  • 18/19 spoked wheels to complete a street tracker look... but at around $3000 a shot, not too likely.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Installed a new rear shock from Wibers, type 640 Road with a spring customer for my weight and drive style with rebound adjustment. I can feel the difference is really bad roads and cornering but the front end still meh. Pre-ordered the Öhlins FSK 108 Fork Spring Kit - currently not in stock. Öhlins expect it to be available again mid May.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The cool part is that the headlight fits the 900 shell and is only around $35 usd. I am using the matte grey, but there is a metallic black.

The front looked better with the hard board prototype I cut, pulling the light in about an inch and a half, or about 40 mm. I drilled the shell for the rubber grommet that fitted the bottom post, but make it too far back, tipping the shell too far back to have the headlight face close as possible to plumb. That might have been corrected by slotting the hole a bit, but for my way of fitting the back side since it will interfere with the ignitions switch.

For that I tried to heat the shell to push it in, but it turned pretty ugly and required cutting out the shell, which I should have done in the first place. I didn't like the end result, so I ordered another shell...

I had thought I needed to try to keep wiring in the shell, enclosed as possible, but then realized I had the answer to that sitting in the shop, my KLX650 and 250. The wiring is pretty much a similar style, tucked in behind the headlight nacelles (number plates) without much regard to being open. So I figure "what's the difference?" No mud and crap flung around on a road bike, so why worry about leaving the back a bit more open.

Now to carefully cut out the back opening to fit what is behind it while keeping the shell looking good from the outside.

I am also trying to get .375" acrylic plexiglass cut for the side supports since they don't carry any weight, which is carried by the headlight assembly sitting on the metal frame peg on the bottom. If I cannot do the acrylic I will do aluminum. I just think the gloss of the acrylic would look good and no paint. If I do aluminum I may try some of the translucent paint Duplicolor makes for metal.

So far I'm 99% happy with what is done.
  • Lucas style led tail light,
  • fender extension eliminator,
  • unobtrusive mini-turn signals,
  • needed bar risers to move the bars back a bit (short arm reach),
  • spaced offset instrument instead of using the kit riser plate,
  • eliminated front reflectors by cutting the ABS line holding bracket to keep the line support and delete the reflector,
  • excellent tone and volume Delkevic exhaust with the 18" stainless can - I could sit in front of a police car and rev the engine without being ticket bait, yet it sounds like a lightly muffled Yamaha flat tracker, music to my ears without forcing others to "hear the thunder", audible at speed as well. Just doesn't have the current trend shortie-under-the-engine look.
What's to come:
  • I have the C-Racer flat track tail and did the minor grinding to fit it (too tight at the front against the tank). Now to finish it, the surface of the vacuum formed seat plate/tail is mediocre at best and needs sanding smooth and some proper glazing putty to fill in some dips and dimples. Then it will be either paint or a wrap.
  • Apply the speed block graphic stripe and the black out wrap below the stripe to make the tank visually smaller, more flat track (my favorite motor sport).
  • Fitting some 1983 Honda Nighthawk mirrors, the stems are so slender at about 10mm diameter, kind of makes them "disappear". I'm not a bar end fan. Gotta get the left hand threat to right hand thread adapter.
  • Would like to do a set of the J. Murphree bend Vortex bars if I could see how the bend would work for me.
  • Tires to suit the look, Bridgestone Adventurecross AX41S look the part.
Dreaming of:
  • 18/19 spoked wheels to complete a street tracker look... but at around $3000 a shot, not too likely.
You didn't mention hand levers. Could have sworn you were doing adjustable shorty levers.That's certainly a mod, as much as any. And did you put radiator grill on?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Got myself a Nexx Garage rucksack that doubles as a pannier to carry my stuff to work. For chain and swing-arm clearance used a second hand SW-Motech from a PRO BLAZE set I got on ebay from a guys that crash his bike and the bags were destroyed. Very happy with the end result. Love the rucksack, its practicality and capacity.

·
Registered
411 Posts

Yesterday my wife picked up her new ride.

My order was to keep calm and not to modify anything. So the little changes you may find in this picture are inspired by her.

·
Registered
411 Posts
congrats to her. Did she trade in her MT09? Is that your bike in the bottom right corner?
Thanks, I will tell her, her MT-09 was traded in for a Tenere 700, which is now that little Xtribute.

Right in the corner is a new Euro 5 XSR at our dealer. Mine already did some kilometers as well this year, we had some pleasant warm days, to be followed with some colder days around Easter.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thanks, I will tell her, her MT-09 was traded in for a Tenere 700, which is now that little Xtribute.

Right in the corner is a new Euro 5 XSR at our dealer. Mine already did some kilometers as well this year, we had some pleasant warm days, to be followed with some colder days around Easter.
Same here. I got two rides in last week (93 km) with warmer temps. No riding this week (cold and even some snow), maybe next week.

641 - 660 of 677 Posts