XSR 700 Forums banner

581 - 598 of 598 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Realigned rear wheel/chain with motionpro chain alignment tool. Cleaned chain, lubed chain. Rides real nice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
(yesterday actually) got the renthal street lows on! very happy with them, just that bit sportier (and very slightly wider) without being awkward or uncomfortable at all
yes, i paid too much for the nice rizoma bar ends. everything else has been out of stock for as long as i can remember and i got sick of waiting!
getting the throttle tube/housing/stuff on was a bit weird but it worked out in the end. i still couldn't get the kedo speedo bracket to fit with these bars. it worked with the hurricane swallows, but the throttle cables are in the way for these just as they are with the stock ones. i regret to announce i have paid for and and am waiting for the daytona pipe meter bracket... the speedo placement is the only legitimately bad thing about this bike that i have wanted to change since day one. well, i heard the forks are pretty bad too but i have no frame of reference and will avoid gaining one to avoid spending even more money.
also: dart flyscreen on! classic in dark tint. looks cool and the air seems "smoother" in the middle when i'm on the motorway. haven't given high speeds with it and the bars a go yet, keen to see how that goes
also also: fitted givi sr126 rack once again last week, since i have places to go now. i just hook a bungee net to it and put my backpack in, it's so much more comfortable than wearing it. maybe i'll buy a topbox later, but since i care too much about appearance i'd have to get an expensive one
also also also: gave it a wash, the wheels especially got pretty gross and muddy as i've been going to and from work in the rain a bit recently

ps: please ignore the weeds in my raised gardenbed, i promise i'll get to it

·
Registered
132 Posts
Aligned, cleaned and lubed chain, did oil and filter change with Hi Flo chrome Filter, the 204C and Castrol 10/40 Ultraclean, always use car oil as bike oil is basically the same but twice as expensive:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Aligned, cleaned and lubed chain, did oil and filter change with Hi Flo chrome Filter, the 204C and Castrol 10/40 Ultraclean, always use car oil as bike oil is basically the same but twice as expensive:

I don't know if the oils are the same but a motorcycle engine runs faster than a car engine

·
Registered
27 Posts

As far as I know, the oil used in motorcycles are different from car specific oil. It is due to the clutch that runs in the engine oil (if the bike runs a wet clutch).
I once tried car oil on my Suzuki GS500 and it was a struggle to change gears.
So I guess you should do what ever you want and feel comfortable with, but look into the matter. I think there is a reason behind the difference - other than marketing.

·
Super Moderator
579 Posts
Agreed - car oils are best avoided in a bike. 'Don't spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar' ! Buy a good quality bike oil in a 4L container online - it won't cost that much more but will do the job better for your bike.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Without getting into too much detail, the oil needs to have a JASO MA certification on the label. This is important. Typical car oils don’t. Rotella T6 does as well as specific “motorcycle” type oils. You should also be changing it more often than a car oil change interval - more like 2500miles or shorter depending on type of riding. The oil is used for the wet clutch, it’s not just engine oil. You CAN tell a difference in how it shifts if you use the wrong oil. Another thing is oil level- don’t overfill it. Keep it in the middle of the fill lines in the oil view window. This will directly effect engine performance and how well the gearbox shifts. Hope this helps.
Happy shifting-
Rob

·
Registered
218 Posts
Went for a 100mile mountain ride. A black bear ran out in front of me and climbed a near vertical 30 foot embankment. It was quite incredible!

581 - 598 of 598 Posts