XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey friends, I just returned from a 2800 mile trip from Portland, OR to Los Angeles, CA, taking Hwy 1 and 101. Then rode through Death Valley, up to Lake Tahoe, then home. It took us 10 days, I had 4 days solo and 6 days with riding friends from Phoenix, AZ. Bike ran great! I got a nail in my tire on day 3 and had to plug it while we were camping in the redwoods, and my stock tire also wore much faster than expected - I only got 5300 miles out of it, was expecting it to last the entire trip and replace when I got home, which was at 6800 miles. So, I had to get it replaced in LA (Thanks for saving my bacon, MotoRepublic!!!) and ended up with a Michelin Pilot Road 2, which was all they could get for me on short notice. Other than tire things, it was a perfect trip!

Here are some pictures of our adventures... Bikes are my 2018 XSR700, a 2014 Yamaha FZ-09, and a 2015 Victory Magnum.

Attachments

·
Registered
371 Posts
That's a dandy nail you got there. How fast was the tire deflating? I always worry about getting a bad nail or slice that deflates to quickly there's no time to do a fix before it really causes a problem.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a dandy nail you got there. How fast was the tire deflating? I always worry about getting a bad nail or slice that deflates to quickly there's no time to do a fix before it really causes a problem.
Yeah, a real gem! :wink2: Tire was fine before our short ride to dinner (20 miles each way). Tire was pretty flat in the morning. So, I think I picked it up on the way back from dinner but it didn't deflate fast enough to even notice, just broke the head off the nail. I think once the tire cooled from the ride it probably started losing air, but we were headed for bed by that point.

I would definitely be more worried about fast pressure loss from a slice or a oddly shaped foreign object, same as in a car/truck... years ago, my friend found fingernail clippers in his tire! Needless to say, that tire had to be replaced, there's no plugging that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow what a great landscape! Looks like you had a great adventure! I have just seen on the other thread that the side cases held up well. How is the bike for touring?
It's just a little small for me, but I'm a bigger guy - I'm 6'3" and 215 lbs. If I was doing regular 2000+ mile trips, I'd probably want a slightly bigger platform (XSR900 maybe?), but really the worst thing for me is the stock seat. After putting in some miles, I'm definitely looking into getting a custom seat or at least getting the stock one modified and recovered.

Oh, and I would LOVE to have cruise control... The CrampBuster helps but doing 250+ miles on the freeway would be way more comfortable with CC. But I don't think there's anyone making aftermarket CC for our bike yet... I haven't looked into it for the MT07 but I'm positive it would be compatible.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It looks like it was a great trip. And the nail and tire replacement just make the trip more memorable. As for the seat, my 2014 Ninja 1000 has a terrible seat! I think many bikes today have seats that fall far short in terms of day-long comfort.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts