XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past winter in the Northern States and consequently (at least where I live in northern Michigan) there is a lot, and I mean a lot of residual sand all over the roads and especially in sub-divisions. Yesterday was the first day it felt like it was warm enough to ride so I put my gear on and headed out to take a little spin. As I was going around the second intersection I had just started around the corner and went down just like there had been grease or oil in the street. Oil or grease, NO, but a lot of loose sand. I'm a long time rider and preach about watching the road surface a lot but I missed it, too eager to get going on my new bike (I've had it since January) and when I went down it was immediate and completely took me off guard. Only damage was a scuff on the right hand grip end and the muffler tip protector but it ticked me off. I carry an assisted open knife all the time and I happened to go down on my thigh right where it was and now have an imprint of the knife on my leg. Be overly careful this spring if you live in an area where they use a lot of sand on snowy roads. No real damage except to my pride, but I do have a sore leg and right shoulder from slamming to the road. I'm pretty sure the road commission won't be doing anything about the sand because they didn't last year and even after several good rains, it was still all over the place.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts