XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nice, Ohlins are the ultimate suspension upgrade :cool:

I would like a set for mine but you don’t see many second hand ones around!

Good luck with your search🤞

·
Registered
730 Posts
You have to be fast. I picked up a shock in the FZ/MT-07 forum about a year ago. I caught the listing in less than a day and bought the shock. The rider had it on his wife's FZ and was selling the bike so he took it off to sell separately.

Keep your eye out and be ready to buy instantly. If I remember right I paid with PayPal, that way I had the protection that I would get the correct thing or have recourse. If you use PayPal only do "merchandise", never use "gift". Merchandise will protect you, a gift is a gift. Even if you pay an extra bit for the merchandise payment, do it. I think it's probably around 3% of the sale fee.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi,
don't limit yourself to just a Yamaha forum. The shock you want is the STX 46. Cast your net as far as you can because this shock fits many other bikes.
I went for the Nitron NTR R1 with the preload adjuster. The preload adjuster is for quick adjustment when the girlfriend joins me. Save yourself a couple of hundred quid if you just go solo. Just as good as the Ohlins and much better value for money for this bike. IMO. ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Nick, I had thought it was the YA419, is there a difference between the two / one the preferred option?

I'll just start searching everywhere! Found one on Italian eBay for £290 delivered, ordered it, but they cancelled my order and relist at a higher price!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Thanks Nick, I had thought it was the YA419, is there a difference between the two / one the preferred option?

I'll just start searching everywhere! Found one on Italian eBay for £290 delivered, ordered it, but they cancelled my order and relist at a higher price!
I'd file a claim with ebay. If you win a bid or do a buy it now you should get the price listed. That's pure BS and I'd register a complaint with ebay.

·
Registered
648 Posts

[..]
Correct, YA 419 is the right damper for the XSR or MT-07. The mentioned STX 46 is only the series street by Öhlins. Simple shock, rebound only and preload adjustment. But you can not use any other STX for your XSR.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hi,
but the STX 46 is a YA419. Are there different varieties of a YA419? :unsure:
The other way around makes sense. The YA 419 is a STX 46, but STX are many and only YA 419 fits.

Next to the mentioned mentioned Nitro, it can be a Wilbers, a YSS or a Mupo etc. In my opinion all third party shocks should work fine. But it should be for a XSR or MT.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey chaps,

Does anyone know how universal they are, for example would a shock from a YZF 600 2002 fit?

They look identical but that's with an untrained eye!

·
Registered
730 Posts
You need to know eye to eye measure. You might also check over at the FZ/MT-07 forum to ask if anyone has done one on their bike, the shocks for the MT are same as the XSR.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hey chaps,

Does anyone know how universal they are, for example would a shock from a YZF 600 2002 fit?

They look identical but that's with an untrained eye!
Via the Öhlins website you will find the main or relevant dimensions. Length or stroke are shown, often you find the spring rate in the manuals section.
As I do not know which YZF 600 shock you are referencing to, my first look says, no, it will not fit. with a length of 360 mm you will have no chance to install it. XSR length is about 312 mm.

I would not suggest to go for such old shock, without calculating additional costs for service and overhaul, as well a spring with the matching rate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts