XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm after a used XSR700 as my first bike. Just getting my license. I've ridden before but abroad with questionable legality 馃槄
  • I was wondering what are the typical specific issues to look out for when buying privately.
  • Suggested price range.
  • Anything else beyond the typical checks (fluids, suspension, battery, tyres, scrapes...)?
  • When is the best time to buy the bike now or later for better value? (I'm not in a hurry can wait till riding season)
I was reading a post from 2018 and it seems like everything else these bikes have become more expensive and the used prices are somewhat the same as what some people paid for them new.

I've come across one for 拢4300, 14K miles. The only extra is a Lextek exhaust and the bikes been sitting for a while as the rider is leaving biking due to injury (motor enthusiast - lots of machines). It looks like a good price for the market right now. Thoughts?

Thanks

P.S. Please forgive the silly questions from a noob.

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum....good luck in your quest for an XSR.
These bikes are pretty trouble free - the CP2 engine is probably one of the most reliable bike engines around. 拢4300 for a 2018 model is a very fair price, but its 14k mileage is pretty high for a bike of that age. Ensure that it's had a chain and sprockets replacement and that it's had its valve clearances checked. Have a good look for corrosion around the rear suspension linkage and exhaust pan. Check that fork oil seals are sound and lift gaitors (if fitted) and check whether the chrome fork legs are corroded underneath them. Check whether a CPU flash was needed and was done for the after market pipe - if not, it might be burning lean and melting valves. You'll have to make a judgement as to whether your 'motor sports enthusiast' owner has thrashed it! (Scraped footpegs and tyres worn right to the edges are sure signs!). Expect to pay about 拢1000 - 拢1200 more at a dealer. As to timing - I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference, though more bikes come to the market from March as bikers start reshuffling their garages!

Reactions: Mcbrown

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I think I miscommunicated the age of the bike. It's a 2016.
Thank you for the tips!

Registered
Hi Dude!

I paid 3.6k for a 2016 with 13k miles on back in October 2020, but that's almost irreverent now as I believe the price of second hand cars/bikes as remained fairly static, or even increased, in the past year or so!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The prices are getting ridiculous. I've decided to wait to see if supply catches up with demand.

Other than Facebook Marketplace, Gumtree, MCN, Autotrader and eBay any other recommendations for place to look?

Super Moderator
The prices are getting ridiculous. I've decided to wait to see if supply catches up with demand.
Other than Facebook Marketplace, Gumtree, MCN, Autotrader and eBay any other recommendations for place to look?
Keep an eye on the classifieds section of this forum! I advertised my XSR there a while ago - but there were no takers back then ('twas a bargain too!). PS I've still got a Dart flyscreen if anyone in UK wants it!

Registered
...a 2018 model... but its 14k mileage is pretty high for a bike of that age.
'High mileage' chuckles I just did the 24K mile service on my 2018. Valve adjustment, air filter, spark plugs, lube various pivot points and throttle cables, etc. This bike has acted as both my weekend fun bike as well as my touring steed, I did a 2600 mile trip and a 5800 mile trip in 2019 and 2021 respectively. The CP2 engine and the bike as a whole holds up very well, as long as you maintain it properly!

I do agree that at 14K the chain/sprockets may be 60% worn or more depending on care, I replaced mine around 19K as it was getting noisy and had too much play on several links. However I wouldn't assume that a valve adjustment at that mileage is critical. Not a bad thing to check at all, and a good winter project if you're able to, but not having it done wouldn't deter me from buying.

At 24K I had one intake valve at .10 mm (just too tight) and the rest around .11mm (tight end of spec), exhaust had one at .23 mm (just too tight) and the rest at .20-21 mm. I'd say I checked/adjusted them at the 'right time' but I've got no worries about burnt valves or anything.

Otherwise, great points all around and it's a fantastic platform for newer riders and veterans alike, it's very easy to ride despite having plenty of pep.

Registered
Hi Evoytec,

I recently purchased a 2016 second hand. I would recommend the following tips:
1- Based on the mileage check the owners manual ahead of time for the recommended intervals. If the bike is a little behind, no problem negotiate it in the price. If things are forgotten, might be best to walk.

2- Generally the bikes I looked at where driven under 10 000 kms a year so annual maintainance was more than enough to ensure reliable internals, but be sharp on potential flaws or leaks as it could point to more. Others have mentioned good general checks already in this thread.

3- The rear swingarm is poorly coated on these bikes, the paint chips and rust is common. On an older bike have a good look behind the rear tyre at the swing arm, a new one is around 500euros ex install and depending on the location of the bike, storage and climate it might be a point of attention. Mine seems solid, just surface rust after 6 years in the field.

Good luck finding the perfect bike!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts