XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! As I said in my introduction post, I'll be getting my XSR700 next week. However, I have a question that dealers couldn't answer properly. I've searched the forum and found nothing clear...

As they upgraded suspensions on MT07 with its restyling by 2017, has the XSR700 had any upgrade or it has the same settings as in 2016? Must I assume that it has the same MT07 pre-restyling settings and I'll eventually need an aftermarket upgrade?

Thank you all and sorry for my bad English! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi, and Welcome!

The XSR suspension was never changed, compared to the MT. Taking rider weight in account and analysing your riding ambition, it may be neccessary for an upgrade.

BR
hombacher

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, and Welcome!

The XSR suspension was never changed, compared to the MT. Taking rider weight in account and analysing your riding ambition, it may be neccessary for an upgrade.

BR
hombacher
Thanks hombacher! My weight is 67 Kg and my fz6 with stock suspension is ok for me and my riding style.

Another thing I'm concerned about is the possible forming of rust on some parts of the bike, as I've seen some complaints on that... Is it really a thing I must be concerned about, or it happens only in coast zones?

·
Registered
313 Posts
From what I read before buying, the 18 XSR has the newer suspension set up that I believe was put on the new MT at least here in the US. I could be wrong though. Lots of possible suspension upgrades can be found since the suspension is essentially the same as the MT and similar to the FZ (again here in the states). I frequent the FZ-07/MT-07 forum because of that. Got in on a good by for Gilles chain adjuster/spool set up for about $112 from Bellissimoto. One of the sales people is heavily involved at the forum.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Only if you have that rebound damping slot screw down at your rear suspension, than it was upgraded. Otherwise as already said, the XSR suspension was never changed.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks hombacher! My weight is 67 Kg and my fz6 with stock suspension is ok for me and my riding style.

Another thing I'm concerned about is the possible forming of rust on some parts of the bike, as I've seen some complaints on that... Is it really a thing I must be concerned about, or it happens only in coast zones?
You are fighting in the feather weight class, all good with the OEM suspension. If you change your tires in the future, when they worn, it may be possible, that your riding will get much faster and harder. Then you may think about a suspension upgrade.

Regarding rust, salty roads and living at the coast can be a problem. But then you will know what to perform for in advance protection.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought my XSR in 2017, so I don’t know if the later ones have any suspension changes. If not, then the lack of damping adjustment on the rear shock would be an issue if it was me.

I weigh 65kg and I found the rear shock damping not very good, sometimes it felt like I was on a pogo stick. Heavier riders might not notice this as much.

Anyway I bought a Nitron NTR R1 rear shock with damping adjustment, much better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just ordered TEC progressive front fork springs + preload adjusters so will see how that changes the handling. The front on the OEM is too bouncy and unstable especially under braking before the corner IMHO. Even when the bike is steady and you push the front suspension it bounces back and forth as it shouldn't on a good suspension. I am 68 kg but think that heavier riders should have even bigger problems with the bouncy front suspension.

Will report once I have the TEC upgrade installed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just ordered TEC progressive front fork springs + preload adjusters so will see how that changes the handling. The front on the OEM is too bouncy and unstable especially under braking before the corner IMHO. Even when the bike is steady and you push the front suspension it bounces back and forth as it shouldn't on a good suspension. I am 68 kg but think that heavier riders should have even bigger problems with the bouncy front suspension.

Will report once I have the TEC upgrade installed.
Yesterday I rode with friends and noticed that after 130 km/h front suspension almost looses contact with surface. Really scary thing. My bikes model year is 2018 and its front suspension is soft and bouncy. This upgrade can potentially help. Looking forward to your feedback.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had previously upgraded the rear shock to the Ohlins YA419, which definitely improved the feel of the bike, especially since I'm about 210 lbs. I just fitted the RaceTech emulators up front along with the recommended springs and I'm very impressed by the improvement in ride quality and handling. The bike feels far more stable in corners and I don't have to slow way down for corners on rougher roads - before, you could feel the bike track differently through the corner when hitting a small bump. Now it tracks cleanly through and the bike doesn't feel 'upset' but these small bumps.

I spent about $360 shipped for the RaceTech bits, including the necessary adapters and new copper sealing washers for the damper rod bolt. The Ohlins rear shock was about $500.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, I finally got to test the progressive fork kit but only riding with a pillion. The bike was more stable and helped getting rid of the wobbly feeling. But on harder bumps I could feel that the progressive spring is tougher and could feel the bump more. But I guess that is the trade off for more stability. It is also more stable under braking.

As for the change of forks it was really easy and followed this video.

But I have to yet test them riding solo and hard. Will report back once I test it more.

·
Registered
32 Posts
@smotik Thanks for the update. Let us know what you think after a longer trip or if you push it a bit harder in some twisties.

@frankierose Those R6 forks look amazing. I can imagine that it ain't going to be a cheap swap. But nevertheless those are sexy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
By the number of bolts (10) that hold the brake disc it looks like an R6 front wheel.
So probably a complete R6 front.
As I said it does look great. :) But probably more than I am willing to invest in the bike. I really appreciate the idea/solution.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, I finally got to test the progressive fork kit but only riding with a pillion. .....
Over the weekend I went for some twisties (mostly 90 to 180 degree bends) and harder driving and the TEC springs are definitely stiffer than the original which added to the stability of the bike under braking (not as much dive and bouncing as previously) but also in the corners. The bounciness was mostly eliminated. I have not tried playing with the preload adjustment and drove with the standard settings. I also tried some faster 120+ kmh (about 45 degree) bends and the bike was stable (more than on original springs).

The stiffness is fine on a good road but on some really shitty pot-holly roads we have here in Slovakia I would actually prefer the original softer springs (although they bounced on such holes). But I think this might also be due to my 68kg weight since TEC recommend for my weigh changing also to a lighter 7,5 weight fork oil which I might do later to get back the comfort on bad roads.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts