XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm coming up on 1 month of ownership, so I figured I'd start a build thread of sorts. Nothing crazy is planned, but what the ****.

I have a lot of stuff in boxes at home, in transit, and stuck in customs. For now I'll just post about what makes it onto the bike, rather than what I hope makes it there.

I bought the bike new as a 2018 leftover. I went home and promptly ordered a few things for it. The first round consists of:

Yoshimura fender eliminator
Unbranded radiator guard from AliExpress
Unbranded kickstand pad from AliExpress

I ordered some oem terminals from CycleTerminal to splice the new license plate light in. I also ordered some for the signals and tail light for future purposes.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Today I received my new mirrors. So I decided to delete the front turn signal spacers while I was at it.

I went with Rizoma Eccentrico bar end mirrors. They're not cheap at around $135us each, but they were exactly what I wanted. The good news is that they are very nice. They come with 3 shims for different diameter bar ends, as well as 2 different plugs for filling the stock mirror holes. No need to buy separate ones like I did.

The bad news is that none of the shims will work with our stock bar ends as is. What I did was take the middle shim and sand it down to a very snug fit. They're just a nylon like material, so it's very easy to do. Then a little antiseize on the pinch bolt and they gut snugged down.

The signal spacer delete, I think this is a US only thing, is silly simple. You just need to replace the 6 mounting bolts with shorter ones. I am getting a headlight guard, so I opted for M6 x 20mm stainless socket head cap screws. If you are not going to use a guard, you can size down to 16 mm long screws.

That's it for now. I have a bunch of stuff coming in and sitting around, so I'll update as more finds it's way on to the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Painted the radiator black this weekend. I used Eastwood's radiator paint. The side covers we're painted with a metallic silver, but from the pictures it looks the same as the stock clear coated aluminum. Very happy with the results.

I also added a little baby bag to the rear. I needed a spot for my disc lock.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally got my Dart Marlin Flyscreen from customs. It was stuck in there for 25 days.
Install is a snap. One tip is when tightening the front bolts on the mounting brackets, slide the rear bolts through the flyscreen and signal bracket. This will keep the 2 brackets aligned so you can fully tighten the front bolt. Install the brackets loosely on the bike, then install the flyscreen, then snug everything down. I put a drop of blue loctite on the 4 Flyscreen bolts for good measure. You don't want one of those vibrating free down the line.

The screen comes with 6 m6 x 20mm mounting bolts. If you're in the US with those terrible signal spacers, perfect time to ditch them. If you want to keep them for some reason you will need to measure the stock bolt length, and add 4-5mm.
Likewise, if you have a headlight guard that mounts to the same bolts, get some 25mm long bolts. I would also bend out the headlight guard brackets if needed rather than the flyscreen, so as not to stress the polycarbonate.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ugh, took the cover off the bike today to find a flat rear tire. I must have run over a nail on the way home from work last night. Just over 300 miles on the bike. I've been lucky though. In 11 years of riding, this is my first flat.

Coincidentally I had ordered new tires 2 days ago, but they're not expected for at least another week. Perfect chance for some other work to the bike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Next up is the new front fender, C-Racer's cafe style. It's one piece abs plastic, no bracket uglying up the place. It's very light weight, less than half the stocker. It comes raw, so a bit of prep and some paint is needed. Price was under $100 shipped to the US from Greece. Very happy with it, definitely check them out.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sticking with C-Racer, we have their brown scrambler seat. It's a full seat, not just a cover. The chassis is and plastic. Again, it's much lighter than stick. No provisions to keep the oem tool bag and document bag under the seat. The seat foam is softer than stock, but too soft imo. I plan to refoam it. Again, price is great. I believe I paid about $220 shipped.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I added Koso Nuovo LED turn signals out back. I still need to fab up a bracket for the fronts, so those remain stock for now. These are DOT compliant with smoked lenses. Very nice quality. About $80 a pair. I used proper color coded Sumitomo connectors from CycleTerminal for a plug and play solution.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ermax side panels all painted and mounted. I bought them in raw plastic since the whole bike is repainted in similar but none factory colors. Fitment of these are pretty good. It took a little wiggling and shoving to line them up and bolt em on.

Also painted the front under tank panels. All the panels are now painted metallic silver, metallic dark grey, or metallic black. The last "body piece" I have coming in is the Ermax hugger. I may paint the whole thing black, or do grey down the middle with silver on the sides. We shall see. It will be a while before it gets here.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Seat looks good. I assume you got the standard material since it's brown, what is that, leather? I wonder what the non-stick seat material they use is made of and how it holds up to dirt/sun/water. Does the seat still lock on and off like the OEM seat, or do you bolt it onto the frame? Did you have to remove the little plastic bit under the seat that holds the weird stock tools? Is there room under the seat to screw in or duct tape the instruction manual bag?

·
Registered
2 Posts
how is c-racer’s shipping, im really interested in their seat cowl, do they offer color matching through checkout for specific parts? or only for the full kits?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts