XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

rattling. I was experiencing rattling the first couple days I got the bike and discovered it was the tool bag under the seat, so I removed that. However, on more than one occasion I get a short term large rattle when accelerating or when I go over a bump. Almost like something shaking at or around the gearbox or chain.

Anyone experience this?

Thanks!

Will

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi all,

rattling. I was experiencing rattling the first couple days I got the bike and discovered it was the tool bag under the seat, so I removed that. However, on more than one occasion I get a short term large rattle when accelerating or when I go over a bump. Almost like something shaking at or around the gearbox or chain.

Anyone experience this?

Thanks!

Will
yes, I do (did).
I found that the chain guard is not really 100% solidly attached (there is a spacer around the bolts) and it gives a small rattle over bumps. I added a thin rubber washer and now no more rattle. Check yours.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Those spacers are actually the result of the chain guard recall. I removed them because they cause the guard to be loose and rattle.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Those spacers are actually the result of the chain guard recall. I removed them because they cause the guard to be loose and rattle.
the reason those spacers are there is for ham-fisted mechanics preventing over-tightening the bolt and squishing the plastic guard out of shape. A bolt that is not tight will come loose, so if the spacers are removed the bolt is of smaller diameter than the hole and will eventually also rattle?
An other option would be shaving the thickness of those spacers and having the head of the bolt making a harder contact with the plastic.
Of course one will ALWAYS use thread locker on a bolt like that, to prevent undoing since high torque can not be applied there

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya, turns out it seems to be the chain guard. It shakes rather easy by hand and appears to be what’s rattling. I didn’t take it in for recall service, so I’ll do that and then see what happens.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I removed the chain guard completely and the rattle is still there. Any other ideas??
Hi all, just giving you an update. Was not chain guard and dealer said it’s normal... but I don’t believe it so back to the forums. I’ll update if I have news

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, just giving you an update. Was not chain guard and dealer said it’s normal... but I don’t believe it so back to the forums. I’ll update if I have news
Any update?
I honestly hate the rattle. It’s so annoying. It’s making me consider getting ride of the bike. I have a hard time believing it’s normal. I’ve never heard any motor vehicle sound like this and be “normal”. I’m passed the first service at 750 miles now but I’m taking it this week and I’ll ask about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts