XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I'm looking to install heated grips but connect. to an ignition-only wire, and not connected directly to the battery.

I've found great instructions on doing so online for the MT07 but the under-the-seat wiring for the XSR is very different, and I was wondering if anyone knew which wire was which before I removed more of the tail section to trace it out?

On a related note: What is the connector tucked away between the fuse boxes and battery?

(EDIT=I don't have enough posts yet to attach the link, but I do have the photo)

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
As John A says do not mess with that plug aux plug is taped to loom at side a behind rectifier.
Proper plug in is on eBay for about 3 quid...
Easy job do it right.

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the prospect of being complete, my electrical add-ons to this bike will eventually include:

a) heated grips

b) a Soundbomb horn

c) a pair of Denali 2.0 DM lights

d) possibly a charger for a USB or a GPS

Which is why I didn't immediately jump on the notion of adding the grips to the Auxiliary plug.

That and my Oxford grips came with just a toggle switch which looks really finicky, so I really don't want to wire this directly to the battery.

w w w revzilla.com/motorcycle/oxford-highlow-switch-for-hot-hands-heated-grips

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
My work is done. Heated grips installed with a relay, using the tail light wiring as the switch.

The first photo identifies the tail light wiring -- thanks to the sketches provided by Major_Tom

I used a Posi-Tap to splice into that blue/red wire and connected that to #30 on a 4-way relay.

As you can see from the second photo there is not a lot of space under the seat and my wiring is somewhat long.

I ended up tucking the relay on the right, next to one of the fuse boxes, and coiling the wires in a tidy pile.

With everything functional I will securely attach the relay and the wires out of the way underneath the various plates.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts