XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to swap out the old OEM turn signals for the TST units. I looked all over the internet to see what was available, how well they were built, whether or not they were plug and play or required cutting the OEM wiring, and finally price, and TST took the prize. With TST you have the choice of three different styles, they have all the fittings that make them fit properly, and they also have the cables to convert from the stock wiring connectors to the TST signals without having to cut into the electrical system (a must for me). I also bought one of their signal relays to keep the flash rate normal (another $20 but worth the price). Total cost for the project was about $170 which I thought was worth the price seeing how the whole thing can be reversed if I was ever to see the need to do that, perhaps for selling to someone who wanted OEM. While I was working the project I also color coordinated the fenders to match the tank because I had to remove and take the rear fender apart to do the signal wiring anyway. I bought the paint from Colorite and used the base and over coat suggested and it was a perfect match. I have always though fenders should match the rest of the bike although so many manufacturers either use black, silver, or gray for fenders, I believe for cost issues. Any way the whole project took about a week to complete, mainly because of the time required to let each coat of paint dry and I used two coats of base and three coats of the over coat. The signals themselves probably took about a day because removing the rear fender and getting it back in place isn't exactly an easy chore with the rear light cable, license plate cable, and both signal cables that must be routed and tied down in the proper place. I've had the fender off before so I knw what I was in for. I'm happy with the results. I think the next thing will be the TST chain adjuster/spool holder for the swingarm.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
There's a right way, and the right way done by someone who really digs this stuff. You got both and the results show, nice job Amigo.

Must be deepening winter in your local, it's been 70+ all week on gulf cost with scattered clouds, having one of those great riding seasons, (correction, not 13k, but 16K) miles on bike in 6 mos. Not gloating, just looking forward to s few involved mods when it does turn

·
Registered
221 Posts
TST Echos. Goldilocks LED for looks, quality, price. Nice Flyerdon! I have the exact same next mod to do, the TST spring chain adjuster swingarm spools. Haven't bought them yet. Want to do over the winter.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Nice work ! The red is a pretty darn decent match, no easy feat.
I have the TST tail tidy kit, I am quite happy with their products.
👏👏👏

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not technically winter yet but it was about 26 degrees this morning and we've already had 6" of snow a few days ago but it's gone now. Michigan winters in the north give us plenty of time to reflect and do those jobs you really don't want to waste valuable summer time doing. Took a half hour ride on my ebike this morning and froze my rear end. We decided to stick the winter out here because of Covid, normally we'd be planning our trip to the Lake Havasu area for the winter months.................big bummer.

·
Registered
221 Posts
You need to buy the CustomLED for Yamaha blinker genie.

Add that bit and they will be daytime running lights too.

·
Registered
241 Posts
rather stick with stock then spend that much for now

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you can ignore the mid-90s styling of the stock turn signals, lucky for you.
I personally can't stand them, and I did not hesitate to spend a couple of hundred to get blinkers from this century.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I bought retro looking bike , don't want them modern looking signals on them. whatever makes you happy. cool thing about car, can make it whatever... cafe, scrambler etc etc

·
Registered
221 Posts
I bought retro looking bike , don't want them modern looking signals on them. whatever makes you happy. cool thing about car, can make it whatever... cafe, scrambler etc etc

That's fair, but you didn't buy an SR400 or V7 or street twin or even duc scrambler. Imo our bike leans more modern than retro. It just has a big ole headlight and blinkers. But yes each their own.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts