XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a new rider last year I heard a track day is a good way to safely learn to ride the bike a little quicker.

..so I booked a session at the main track in Scotland, knockhill, which included novice, intermediate and expert sessions.

I have driven cars on a few track days there so, should be fine I thought. On arrival, I have never been so intimidated. I think I was the only naked bike there. It was all tyre warmers, one piece suits and thousand yard stares.

But one guy saw me looking lost, totally reassured me, advised me on dropping the rear tyre pressure..and all of that made such a huge difference.

so, a steeeeeep learning curve - and omfg the pace of the top group. But by my third session I was really getting it. 6 months experience condensed into a morning!

The bike was great…main issue? The little footpeg pins kept scraping, which was extremely off putting!! Maybe I’ll take em off for next time :)

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Helmet
Tire Wheel Helmet Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

Wheel Tire Helmet Motorcycle helmet Automotive tire

·
Registered
146 Posts
Brilliant! Good for you. I'm sincerely happy to hear your experience. I'm riding now for 3 years and have not got the courage to do it. I have however book myself a couple of safety training courses this year. I assume the peer pressure is lower has everybody there is looking to learn something.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Awesome! I've done a number of track days in cars also, but never on a bike. It must be a whole different level of buzz and excitement on a bike given the lean angles and physical involvement with it all. Well done!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Looks like fun, a bit up and downhill the track you have chosen.

Little XSR is a hell of fun on a race track. Easy to ride and control, creates a lot of confidence. Even that track riding is so different from riding on the street, it teaches a lot about speed, lean angle and braking, as you said, steep learning curve.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts