XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today and tomorrow is Yamaha demo days at my local dealership and I will be riding an XSR-700 for the first time...been waiting for a long time. This dealer has only had one XSR-700 2018 and it's difficult to arrange test rides with them...I don't think I'll ride the 900 but maybe TW200 and the Bolt...but I'm looking forward to buying the XSR-700 next month.

·
Registered
312 Posts
My dealer had the big Yamaha truck pull in a couple weeks ago. I wanted to see the new 2019 color in person, but....someone had already totaled it! They did have the XSR900 tho, so got to see the new design, looks pretty good.
Did get to see the Niken, but wasn't interested in riding it. Too heavy for me. I thought the guy that refueled the bikes with a cigarette in his mouth, standing next to the "no smoking" sign, was interesting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I'm back and the ride went well...the XSR-700 is the only bike I rode...it fit me very well...I'm 6' tall with 34" inseam...the ONLY concern I have is that the throttle response is not very smooth...and I guess I'm saying that I don't think it is something that I will be able to smooth out with my wrist. Does anybody else think this is true? and/or is there a way to smooth it out? I will be going back tomorrow for another ride...and tonight I will be reading everything I can find relating to this on this forum...Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I find the throttle response to be about average for a fuel injected bike (a bit snatchy). It's nowhere near as bad as the Kawasaki Z900RS (unrideable IMO), but not as smooth as the new water cooled Triumphs.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I don't notice any snatch or irregularity in throttle response. The last bike that I had that was a bit off, I got a G2 Ergo Throttle tube. A real improvement, and cheaper than a fuel gizmo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The second ride on the XSR-700 was better, I think it will be ok, just a little sudden response in 2nd gear. I also rode the MT-700 and it was just fine. Both bikes were a total blast to ride...I hope to buy the XSR in late August. It was great for me to be on a bike that is only 85lbs heavier than my TU250X...I couldn't feel the weight at all...but **** I sure could feel the torque...and the brakes were great too. While you can't do a proper test ride in these little group rides the bike felt great in every way...I believe this bike will do a lot of miles in third gear...I will also be needing a larger helmet...to contain the larger grin on my face!

·
Registered
366 Posts
The second ride on the XSR-700 was better, I think it will be ok, just a little sudden response in 2nd gear. I also rode the MT-700 and it was just fine. Both bikes were a total blast to ride...I hope to buy the XSR in late August. It was great for me to be on a bike that is only 85lbs heavier than my TU250X...I couldn't feel the weight at all...but **** I sure could feel the torque...and the brakes were great too. While you can't do a proper test ride in these little group rides the bike felt great in every way...I believe this bike will do a lot of miles in third gear...I will also be needing a larger helmet...to contain the larger grin on my face!
Coming off a TUX is probably why it feels snatchy. Over time you will get smoother with the throttle and it will be second nature. I'm sure you maxed out your TUX. I know I pushed mine as far as it could go. Hitting what looks like 86 on the speedo (probably 82 in real life), pinned throttle, holding on. The XSR700 is another world completely. Hitting 86 for real is almost a yawn, fully compliant, as if it was 55.

It's funny, the XSR700 is like a modern day beefed up TUX. Even the way it looks a little in its neo-retro garb, an evolved UJM. Suzuki didn't create their own (that SV650x is in that cafe niche), but Yamaha nailed it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts