XSR 700 Forums banner

Tires for dry and hot conditions

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Dezzley 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone.
I am looking for recommendations.

My stock tires are about to wear off after 12K km (7500 miles) and I am looking for a decent replacement. I commute mostly in the city but I'd like to feel comfortable and stable during a long-distance ride (150+ km). The place I live in has a really hot climate (35 C during the summertime) with some occasional rains in the winter. Which basically means I am able to ride almost 11 months a year.

Many of the fellow riders recommended the following tires:
MICHELIN ROAD 5
MICHELIN PILOT ROAD 4 GT
PIRELLI MT60RS (really love their look)

But I am not sure if these options are robust enough to withstand the destructive sun and warmth, and if they are good for the constantly hot road.

Looking forward to your opinions :)

PS: finally decided to post something after the year of lurking

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome! and here is my 2 cents...
I have ridden with the Michelin Pilots and think they are great tires. But, my all time favorite is the Continental RA3; it is less of a sport tire than the stock Pirellis tho, but for all around riding (wet or dry) is great. Made in Germany, so I would assume it can take the heat and the cold as well as any other brand name quality tire.

#4 ·
Hi and Welcome to the forums!

If I see your mileage with the Pirellis and take in account the permanent high temperatures, my ranking would be:

Michelin Road 5, due its very good abilities under hot conditions and very good performing with wet and rain,

Dunlop Road Smart 3, it can everything very good, eave hot and high mileage,

Continental Road Attack 3, spot on with the first meters, but can struggle with very high temperatures.

But if you love the look of the MT60 Pirellis, they will perform. Only issue may be that the mileage can be worse than you know from your actual Pirellis. This said, alternatively let the price and availability decide, no of the mentioned tires is really bad.

BR
hombacher

#6 ·
All the recommended tires are great. Can't go wrong. I'd go with what's on sale excluding the MT60 as it would be for looks.... although I'm a cheap ass and would look for a deal on them too lol.
As mentioned, I'd avoid the GT model tires. Reason being the XSR is a lighter bike they probably wont heat up as quick as they are supposed to since they are made for heavier bikes. My 2cents on that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.