XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The back brake light switch. It sticks and won't work.
I remove it, clean it and lube it and it works perfectly, for about a week, and then it stops working again. I use the back brake a fair amount so it's not lack of use. It must be a faulty part, maybe bent, who knows.
As long as it works tomorrow afternoon for my mot that will be that for another year..

·
Registered
24 Posts
The back brake light switch. It sticks and won't work.
I remove it, clean it and lube it and it works perfectly, for about a week, and then it stops working again. I use the back brake a fair amount so it's not lack of use. It must be a faulty part, maybe bent, who knows.
As long as it works tomorrow afternoon for my mot that will be that for another year..
I had the same problem with my 2020 BMW F900XR and ended up replacing the switch. I couldn’t be bothered to argue the toss about whether it was a warranty claim with the dealer so I paid £60 for the piece of mind.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had my seat re-done with extra padding :D and changed the rear shock, not straight away but over time. I got mine in 2016 so it's always morphing into something.
Anyway straight through the mot so i'm happy..

·
Registered
390 Posts
I agree with Skelee. I have the Yamaha "flat" seat this year, and I like it better, in most reguards.
I think I will send my stock seat to a shop, (possibly Brogue) and have it reshaped/recovered.
The rear shock is one of the only other weak points.
I have the solo and I put gel pad in but now i am thinking doing stock one.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I agree with Skelee. I have the Yamaha "flat" seat this year, and I like it better, in most reguards.
I think I will send my stock seat to a shop, (possibly Brogue) and have it reshaped/recovered.
The rear shock is one of the only other weak points.
Consider looking up a local car/bike seat upholsterer to see about reupholstery, you can work with them, possibly do a ride test with the foam before upholstery is done to see about reshaping. Off the shelf stuff just doesn't provide what custom work does and with some research you may find a local upholsterer might be lower cost too.

You can also talk with local Gold Wing and other touring riders to ask about their seats. They will know who can do what. Fact is there used to be a company that did seats custom fitted. The seats might look a bit weird, but they were fitted for comfort.

More often than not, it is a craps shoot if you buy a seat, especially if you are going by looks. Looks don't make comfort. Plus it is all about personal fit.

Best seat I had for fit was the stock 1984-86 Honda Nighthawk S, thick and flat. Oddly enough, the thin 1983-85 Nighthawk 650 seat was really good too. I have had seats done locally and only had one fail - too soft on the foam, bottomed out when I sat on it.

I have the solo and I put gel pad in but now i am thinking doing stock one.
I found the solo saddle to be really comfortable. Big enough to move around a bit. It really worked well for me. For the price it is a good buy.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,
I had my seat done locally, I just asked about on social media fb on the local bike groups for recommendations and got the same name coming back. I never knew they were even there. Then you can talk directly and explain exactly what you want out of your seat, comfort, looks etc, you can even choose the colour of thread..

·
Registered
71 Posts
I hate it when my ABS lite starts blinking for no reason...every time I go over 130/140 followed by some slight breaking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i hate the fact that the exhaust down tubes and the end tip are stainless steel yet the collector box which gets the most crud and is most awkward to clean are made of mild steel. It is as if yamaha wanted the original exhaust to fail, to me that is penny pinching gone too far. eric

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i hate the fact that the exhaust down tubes and the end tip are stainless steel yet the collector box which gets the most crud and is most awkward to clean are made of mild steel. It is as if yamaha wanted the original exhaust to fail, to me that is penny pinching gone too far. eric
You won't have to worry about finding a replacement, I bet there are hundreds taken off and lying around in peoples sheds..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think you'll find the collector box is stainless too.
Try putting a magnet on the collector box and you will see that it is not stainless steel. it is the easy way to check. As nickmac73 said there are plenty available but I used high temperatue spray paint just on the box and Autosol on the stainless parts... works for me.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Try putting a magnet on the collector box and you will see that it is not stainless steel. it is the easy way to check. As nickmac73 said there are plenty available but I used high temperatue spray paint just on the box and Autosol on the stainless parts... works for me.
Not so easy to say. Some corrosion free stainless steel can be magnetic. Especially when they heavily formed under a press, like the halfs of the collector are. In my opinion the Yamaha exhaust is stainless steel. Good to see in the change of colours when getting hot.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I've run into stainless that can hold a magnet too. But now I'm one of those people who didn't like the look of the pipe and the sound it emitted. I did a Delkevic full 18" cannister exhaust with the baffle still in it. Great tone at reasonable volume. Around 96 dB at around 5000 rpm, quieter down lower. No one is annoyed with the sound, no "look at me, hear the thunder" for this rider.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts