XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out last Saturday for a Labor Day ride East along the Ausable River then north for about 30 miles and finally back west for the final 40 or so miles. In all, 181 miles in mixed sun and clouds and between bouts of rain. Temps were in the high 60's so it was Ok because I had my heavy jacket and lined pants on but it sure gave me the impression that the riding season (at least for the midwest) is coming to an end soon. If the sun is out, we have to get on the bike because there's no time to wait for the weatherman to give a better forecast. It has been a good riding season for me with almost 9000 miles clocked.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Definitely an autumnal feel today, I am even going to zip my thermal liner back in to my jacket as could feel it at 70 on the motorway. Seems like it has got colder quicker than last year even. I will be riding right through, currently doing 30 miles each way daily to London but when the ice and snow comes along I'll be doing 3 miles to the train station and the rest on the train.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yesterday I went out for a ride in the Carolina blue ridge mountains and was quite surprised by the temperature. Temps were in the 60’s. Will be time to break out some heavier gear soon as I ride year round. Definitely was not expecting it, quite a difference from the 90’s I’ve been used to.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Right now until November 1st is my favorite time to ride. I love the cool weather. I've purchased (2) bikes the day after Christmas and rode them plenty until the snow covered roads kept me from doing so.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am envious of the weather changes you guys are experiencing. Here in Florida it is just plain "HOT". Year round, just hot. When I was riding Sunday, it was 100 degrees. It can be brutal waiting at a stop light.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I am envious of the weather changes you guys are experiencing. Here in Florida it is just plain "HOT". Year round, just hot. When I was riding Sunday, it was 100 degrees. It can be brutal waiting at a stop light.
But you can ride year round! :) In the northeast we have until mid November or when the first salt gets poured on the roads. Basically two months left. Then nothing until late March/early April.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I will trade you, your salt and your cold for our Hurricane season. The hurricanes are coming more often and it is so exhausting preparing and sometimes fleeing from them!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I hear you, I lived in Florida for years. I am certain though that you get more riding time, you don't lose 5 months.
I am sure their is a sweeter spot between me and you :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
and grass is always greener, but in Winter it aint green. If you aren't into winter sports Winter is brutal and just too much after enough years in the Northeast. Rather be too hot then too cold.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm good for most of the year. But once it gets below 40 degrees F, or raining, I don't ride that day. I'll ride nearly every other day through the 100+ degree heat in summer

·
Registered
309 Posts
It's still in the 80's-90's in western Oregon, so I can wear my vented jacket, but take the liner with me just in case. Can't ride for a few days because of the smoke from all the fires around here. Should be back to my leather jacket in a couple weeks to combat the cool mornings and a couple unzips for air flow as it warms up to the 70's. Fall will be here soon.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Carolinas are a good in between especially out by the mountains where all the good twisties are! It hasn’t really snowed here the past few years. I pretty much ride year round, but on the shorter days in winter it’s usually just the weekends cause I’m not a fan of riding at night and I work during the day. The longest break I had last year between rides was about 3 weeks, mostly due to inclement weather on the weekends.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here in Florida on the coast, you better have good rain gear, because it rains EVERYDAY and the humidity sucks! If you wear an armored jacket and then throw rain gear on top of that, you are cooking in your own juices by the time you get to where ever you are going.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Here in Florida on the coast, you better have good rain gear, because it rains EVERYDAY and the humidity sucks! If you wear an armored jacket and then throw rain gear on top of that, you are cooking in your own juices by the time you get to where ever you are going.
If I lived in Florida I would probably buy a Aerostitch one piece, no Jacket, no extra rain gear. It's $1,000 but ease of use, convenience, and longevity weigh out. In fact, eventually I'm getting one for up here in NY anyway.

I like the cousin jeremy one piece best, but in Florida the R3-Light prob the way to go.

·
Registered
210 Posts
not when there is 3 feet of snow and your door is frozen shut!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts