XSR 700 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
I get pissed because of what it does to others who don't appreciate a loud exhaust. They tend to be upstanding citizens who are not afraid to complain to the police and city council members. They also frequently are voters.

If you don't understand what that might mean, maybe when it is against the law to modify the exhaust system from stock you will. Be obnoxious to the wrong people often enough and stuff happens.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also like the stock look of the XSR700. I don't mind the big bucket headlight. It reminds me of the late 70's and early 80's which I like. Replacing it with the Motodemic LED is nice but quite expensive. I would upgrade the exhaust on something much louder. One day I was riding a car pulled up next to me and the driver said that my bike was too quiet. I just smiled back at him. I would upgrade the brake & clutch levers on something smaller & sportier. Nertheless, I still like the look of the bike the way it is.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I feel like I’m one of the only XSR700 owners who actually loves the look of the bike stock. The colours of everything are perfect - the bronze engine, the gold pipes, the brushed aluminum tank, the silver accents… I will admit, the indicators are a little large but I don’t understand why people get a tail tidy that removes the back brake light, the reason why I bought this bike is because of it’s retro styling and the big round break light accentuates that retro look. The exhaust is very muted and needs to be upgraded, which is a shame because it looks great but other than the exhaust, this bike needs nothing.
I have medium sized hands, size 9, some say that is a large, but I don't think so, more medium/large. Anyway, the clutch and brake levers are definitely in need of replacement with 2 or 3 finger shorties (with way more adjustment). It will just give even more control to an already very controllable bike. Faster twitch inputs. I am definitely putting on replacement levers in the winter. TST Womtech probably, but other good ones too.

Besides that I put engine sliders on it (Shogun), and will put the fork and rear wheel sliders as well (TST). Bar end sliders too (Shogun). The rear sliders double as pegs for a lift.

I definitely considered replacing the turn signals, but now I don't give a hoot. When one of the bulbs dies or turn signal dies, then I will possibly replace the signals. While they work, no need IMO. But I didn't buy an XSR700 because I wanted to mod it. I'd prefer getting bikes I don't need to mod much. I think this is one for sure. Would I consider a new exhaust someday? Certainly. The Euro4 SC Project Conic definitely peaked my interest, but I'd have to hear that model more, and with the Euro4 cat I haven't heard it online. The one without the cat I heard, and for me it is too loud.

To each their own, but if I start ever feeling the need to spend thousands more of mods on the 700, I will just trade it in and buy a Kawi Z900RS, Ducati Scrambler 1100, or Triumph Speed Twin 1200 instead. If I'm spending thousands more I am getting more horses, but same great handling and compliance, all also with a retro standard look.

For now, and for hopefully thousands and thousands more miles, the 700 has got the goods and yes, the looks too.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I keep looking back at mine after I park it and like what I see.
Yeah, I've took the plunge with the SC Project Conic EURO3 variant – can't get past just how nice it looks.

Might not be the loudest or the absolute throatiest, but it'll be plenty for what I'm after!

·
Registered
333 Posts
The XSR, being a member of Yamaha's Sport Heritage line was designed to bring back memories of the late 70's and early 80's riding experience even though when they are compared to the bikes they are meant to emulate there is quite a difference when you get right down to it. That said, a person has to look forward a few years (about 20 or 30) to understand what people think in the future about today's machines. I like to look at today's classics of the past and see what they were like, in hindsight. Many are still quite impressive motorcycles and if you happen to have one in very good stock condition it will be worth more today than it was a few decades ago. If you don't believe me just pick up a copy of "Motorcycle Classics of the 50's, 60's, 70's or 80's. They are in demand and as there are more and more people my age, they are bringing higher and higher prices. I'll probably never get to see today's bikes in that situation but if you're in your twenty's or thirty's you may be in that situation. If you modify your bike, keep the stock stuff because the people who want the classics don't want a modified bike unless they have the stock parts or ready access to the stock parts.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Don't bet on not seeing it. I might have said the same, but I could have bought a CBX for $1500 that needed repaint and exhausts to make it original, in around 1986. I worked in a dealership and saw things like CB350 fours that were perfect and low miles that couldn't sell for $300. I sold bikes for $150-500 that now would pull $5000. It is amazing. I have a Sherpa T I bought for $450. If it was totally original it would probably be worth $6000, as is it is probably $2000 as a period vintage trials bike.

As for me that whole retro designing is kind of crap. I rode some of those bikes and liked some. Really, it seems like a bunch of jibber jabber when it comes to all that stuff. Build a vert twin with modern performance like Triumph has and Kawasaki should and then come up with all this "looking back" blather. The XSR is just plan a cool naked bike with a weird lollipop tail light and a poor attempt at making what should be a longer better styled rear fender on a bike that is pretty much full on modern. But that is simply my opinion. I just don't see that supposed relationship between the XS650 and the XSR700 anymore than I do the relationship between say the YZ250 from 1974 and the current YZ250 - both are twins, the YZs two stroke singles that's about it.

But hey, if it draws someone in, have at it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I honestly can't see any similarities between the XS650 and the XSR700. I don't even know how this bike is classified as retro, its actually a pretty futuristic looking bike IMO. The tank and the headlight are the only things that look retro to me.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Don't forget the goofy lollipop tail light. They should have put on a Lucas brow style tail light that was the replacement most British bike owners would use to replace the stamped steel crap on their bikes. The XS650 also had a crappy stamped steel tail light much like all the bikes did in the 70s. My old Metralla was supposed to have a crappy stamped steel tail light, but being as how things were different then, it had a Lucas tali light on it when we got it and I guess it always had one. Either replaced when new or possibly put in with the bike when imported, who knows, but it looked good.

If I thought it would fit over that molded lump in the rear fender I'd install one. I'm considering a full metal rear fender of the style already on the bike with one of the Lucas style tail light and a bit longer to cover for losing the rear fender extension.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just got my xsr7 and I want to do some exhaust work on it. However I don't want over loud. Any recommendations on a system that brings a little more character out of the engine but doesn't announce my arrival by 2 blocks away?

Will beg privacy keeping the db killer in as well, the pedestrian thing is insane. In a parking lot had 2 people walk out in front of me the 2nd day I had the bike. It's so quiet.
I just want maybe 30 to 50% more volume.

I will call bs on the louder pipes keeping cars from pulling out in front of you though

I live in Atlanta and there are idiots that like to do 120 in congested downtown freeway traffic and every time that one blasts past me I didn't hear them coming at all only heard them once they were passing me. In all of those situations they are one careless driver away from death because the car wasn't expecting some idiot in a bike to go past them at double their speed on the freeway. They certainly wouldn't have heard them.

It's like it's always said. Ride like your invisible well when you're doing 100 and every one else around is doing 50 you may as well be invisible because a glance in a mirror and you see a bike 300 feet behind then you merge and bam your rear ended because with the flow of traffic 300 feet was plenty enough cushion but when that bike is doing that much faster 300 feet is only a few seconds.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was a moto rider since childhood, until business travel pulled me away 15 years ago. Then illness pulled me away from work, but I recovered somewhat. I decided I wanted to turn the volume up again, I want to live.

So I went for that thing that had been part of my life for so long, until I laid it down - I want a motorcycle. I want that freedom of blasting thru the universe at speed where none of the madness of the current age can keep up, I need a magic motorcycle that can at any speed, be that place that doesn't exist anymore, no facebork, no twatter, no endless droning media news cycle. I need a motorcycle time machine.

I need an XSR700.

When I twist that throttle it gives me everything I want from this present age - torque and hp. Without the plastic body slipstream techno abomination gum wrappers. I want the naked machine, I want the two wheeled horse.

Every time I jump on that bike I'm jumping off the beautiful white railed front porch of that small town house apartment I rented in the city just out of highschool. I twist that throttle and there is just the earth and sky and me blasting through it, I'm in a place where the only challenges are those twisting turns in the road ahead, and I know exactly what to do, and I have everything I need to do it.

I have an XSR700.

·
Super Moderator
606 Posts
I just got my xsr7 and I want to do some exhaust work on it. However I don't want over loud. Any recommendations on a system that brings a little more character out of the engine but doesn't announce my arrival by 2 blocks away?
Have a look in the Exhausts section - there's info on pretty much every system ever made for the XSR! Something like the Scorpion Serket system would probably suit your needs.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I still haven't installed it yet, but I'm thinking Delkevic 18" cannister exhaust will be most likely to provide a decent sound without waking up everyone within 2 blocks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
and what about the Yoshi Y Series XSR700 specific exhaust. Heard it, doesn't sound much louder, but definitely louder, no need to remap.

BTW, since I wrote my entry to this thread 10 months ago I did do the levers, blinkers, and evotech tail, and I am happy I did all three. The evotech tail keeps the look intact. The OEM blinkers IMO only look good from a dead-on front profile. The lever swap is mandatory in my opinion as they are huge with little adjustment OEM.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Different strokes for different folks.

I'm on board with you though, kind of looks like someone lopped off the back of the bike. Seems to be the big thing based on bikexif.com, that and fat old school Firestone repop tires.

I am doing personalization, like removing passenger pegs, solo saddle when it comes in, levers with more dog leg to get it to fit my hands properly (brake was fine, no adjustment on the clutch), rotating bars back some, doing a gauge relocation, and on the US version removing the spacers used to get the signals out to DOT required position.

I also like the look for the most part, wish they'd skipped the tail section past the rear fender and simply used a longer fender of similar style and mounted a better looking light, not much into the lollipop effect, would much prefer the Lucas style tail light Brit bike riders installed on their 60s-70s BSAs and Triumphs. I have located a longer steel rear fender, but don't really want to screw with it. I'd rather just ride the bike, that way I don't have to look at the tail light.

An exhaust would be kind of neat, but honestly I kind of like the "below the radar" sound of the stock one. I don't see an exhaust doing much without some reflashing of the engine management computer. Just not worth it, I'm not racing and the bike is plenty powerful enough to haul my mass around, yes, mass... I could lose about 20 lb and probably gain more performance from that than a trick exhaust. Seems to work for little feather weight Shayna Texter running the singles class in American Flat Track Singles class.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I more or less agree although fork gaiters would have made a big difference esp with the tech black bike like mine.
If you are going to do the fork gaiters, most suggest you do fork covers to. may as well have it all blacked out. See these two threads. MT-07 has official parts for black fork covers, and you need rivets and o rings too. Would get them all done at the same time.

You can PM any of the guys that did the job.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts