XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like I’m one of the only XSR700 owners who actually loves the look of the bike stock. The colours of everything are perfect - the bronze engine, the gold pipes, the brushed aluminum tank, the silver accents… I will admit, the indicators are a little large but I don’t understand why people get a tail tidy that removes the back brake light, the reason why I bought this bike is because of it’s retro styling and the big round break light accentuates that retro look. The exhaust is very muted and needs to be upgraded, which is a shame because it looks great but other than the exhaust, this bike needs nothing.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Different strokes for different folks.

I'm on board with you though, kind of looks like someone lopped off the back of the bike. Seems to be the big thing based on bikexif.com, that and fat old school Firestone repop tires.

I am doing personalization, like removing passenger pegs, solo saddle when it comes in, levers with more dog leg to get it to fit my hands properly (brake was fine, no adjustment on the clutch), rotating bars back some, doing a gauge relocation, and on the US version removing the spacers used to get the signals out to DOT required position.

I also like the look for the most part, wish they'd skipped the tail section past the rear fender and simply used a longer fender of similar style and mounted a better looking light, not much into the lollipop effect, would much prefer the Lucas style tail light Brit bike riders installed on their 60s-70s BSAs and Triumphs. I have located a longer steel rear fender, but don't really want to screw with it. I'd rather just ride the bike, that way I don't have to look at the tail light.

An exhaust would be kind of neat, but honestly I kind of like the "below the radar" sound of the stock one. I don't see an exhaust doing much without some reflashing of the engine management computer. Just not worth it, I'm not racing and the bike is plenty powerful enough to haul my mass around, yes, mass... I could lose about 20 lb and probably gain more performance from that than a trick exhaust. Seems to work for little feather weight Shayna Texter running the singles class in American Flat Track Singles class.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
R6 throttle mod, akrapovic exhaust, radiator guard are probably the only things I'll do to the bike. Perhaps the air filter, ecu flash or power commander but honestly if my bike runs a little lean, I don't mind, I like the pops the exhaust makes.

I actually think the passenger foot pegs make the bike look complete, it looks so bare without them plus I wanna have the option of picking up a girl at any time so I'd never lose the pegs and get a solo seat.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think the bike looks clean as delivered from the factory. I went through the after market exhaust thing twenty years ago when I thought louder was cool. Now, after ruining my hearing with loud music and just about loud everything I have to use hearing aids. I actually think it's cool now when I arrive at someone's place and they say, "I didn't even hear you get here". I did put a Yosh fender eliminator on the bike to clean up the rear a bit but anyone not familiar with the bike would think it's a stock setup. After building my 1980 XS650 this past fall, the XSR seems plenty futuristic when the two are parked side by side, both in pretty much stock form. Amazing what 40 years of improvements makes.

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
I actually think the passenger foot pegs make the bike look complete, it looks so bare without them plus I wanna have the option of picking up a girl at any time so I'd never lose the pegs and get a solo seat.
Married older guy, don't have that option any more... :frown2:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the bike looks clean as delivered from the factory. I went through the after market exhaust thing twenty years ago when I thought louder was cool. Now, after ruining my hearing with loud music and just about loud everything I have to use hearing aids. I actually think it's cool now when I arrive at someone's place and they say, "I didn't even hear you get here". I did put a Yosh fender eliminator on the bike to clean up the rear a bit but anyone not familiar with the bike would think it's a stock setup. After building my 1980 XS650 this past fall, the XSR seems plenty futuristic when the two are parked side by side, both in pretty much stock form. Amazing what 40 years of improvements makes.

My dad has owned 2 Harleys since he was 19 and he says the exact same thing... Always had a loud bike, now wears a hearing aid and rides an FLHTC with stock exhaust and loves how quiet it is. But this bike sounds like a beast that needs to be unleashed and the stock exhaust does it no justice.

I agree tho, this bike does look very futuristic/retro. They absolutely nailed that look and that's what I love about it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I also love the stock look of the XSR700. That is one reason, why I bought one. The other is the fantastic CP2 engine. But in difference to others, I never had the need to mount any loud exhaust.

When riding I wear otoplastics anyhow, to keep up the concentration by reducing the noice and to protect my ears. So it is senseless to pollute the environment with noisy pipes.

On the other hand, I am absolutely with you, that the builts with cut off tails, no rear fender, that looks like a failed butt surgery or is it tail docking?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I also love the look of the stock bike – one of the main reasons I bought it like everybody else I'm sure!

I do think a little tidy up of the tail and putting gaiters on the forks works wonders, otherwise I'm just adding an exhaust purely out of safety reasons to be honest. Commuting in London, the stock exhaust really isn't loud enough… even people walking on the street are surprised and didn't realise I was coming.

…not quite as bad as when a Prius catches you off guard lol, but still!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I see the value with pedestrians, but the loud pipes thing doesn't hold water when it comes to traffic, since the exhaust points the sound waves backward, not forward.

Now I'd like to see a good throatier muffler made for bikes like the companies like Borla, Magnaflow, and Flowmaster make for automobiles. Throatier a shade louder, but not obnoxious loud. That would be nice.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I don't know how many guys on here have to sleep during the day or have otherwise non-normal sleeping hours but being awakened by some nut-job on a loud bike or car when you're not feeling well or really tired and need some sleep makes a person want to find the idiot and kick the livin crap out of em. Maybe your newborn would like to take a nap? Anyone ever take that into consideration when flaunting their loud pipes????

·
Registered
305 Posts
When I sold bikes the shop was two doors down and across the street from our house. We had a new baby daughter. The one kid had a Nighthawk 650 with a competition baffle Kerker exhaust. Used to run the nuts off of it. He did it once around 8:30/9:00pm past the house. In a bit of a humorous death threat I told him to please cease and desist doing that past my house. From that time on, he'd run it up, shut it down and coast past my house. I appreciated that. Fact is the bike was so loud one night while in bed I heard him and could tell about where he was at by the sound. A shade too loud.

·
Registered
198 Posts
There is "subtle" difference (not) between hearing the engine so one doesn't have to look at the rev counter (stock pipe is a bit soft for my liking) and the douche-bag that tries to compensate with a loud pipe. I run a pipe that verges on the second category (Akrapovic, came with the bike when I bought it) but I despise the idiot that takes out the DB killer: it doesn't improve performance, just announces the approach of an attention seeker.

·
Registered
94 Posts
At least you admit it, no fictitious BS like saving lives.
Oh don't get me wrong, I love the sound of a good pipe as much as the next person! But I do genuinely want people to know I'm coming so they can stop walking out in front of me on the street…

And let's be honest, it's not their lives i'm trying to save ;-)

·
Registered
305 Posts
You know what I mean, that line of crap that all the straight pipe cruiser crowd throws in there just after explaining how to "lay 'er down" to avoid crashes...

like that isn't one already and the coefficient of steel/aluminum sliding on the ground sure doesn't approach that of rubber, especially when the rubber is the tires and the brakes are being applied.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Most people hate a loud exhaust, whether it be a car or a motorbike, but those people are just not overly fond of the awesome sound an engine makes. I think smoking cigarettes is disgusting but I don't get mad at someone for smoking around me. The noise will only last a few seconds, just like the cigarette smoke, get over it!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts